The Student Room Group

NH4Cl structure

Can anyone explain how to answer this q?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by sara.m12
Can anyone explain how to answer this q?

Do you know what a dative covalent bond is?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Yazomi
Do you know what a dative covalent bond is?

Yeh but I can’t figure out how to show it for nh4cl
Reply 3

Mmmmmm actually I’m not too sure either sorry😅I would have thought there’s single bond throughout the whole thing
the question doesn't ask for you to draw out the shape, it's just wanting you to explain what a dative covalent bond is and relate it to NH4Cl : ))
if a question does ever ask for you to draw out the shape, you indicate a dative covalent bond by an arrow pointing from the atom donating the electrons to the atom it's being donated to
Reply 6
Oooo I think if one of the surrounding atoms is an ion that would work out
Reply 7

there is a dative covalent bond in nh4+ but nh4cl as a whole molecule is ionic because the bonding between nh4+ and cl-

hopefully that makes more sense
Reply 8
Original post by xsowmix
there is a dative covalent bond in nh4+ but nh4cl as a whole molecule is ionic because the bonding between nh4+ and cl-

Is it possible if you could draw it out?
R u saying that N donates both electrons to one of the + hydrogens? If so I get that but the cl- is confusing me. Does cl have an extra electron?
Reply 9
Original post by xsowmix

is this correct?
is this correct?

no it shld look like this
01ADEB93-32E5-4BB1-89C7-03CE270D911E_4_5005_c.jpeg
so basically the nitrogen atom in nh3 donates an electron to a hydrogen atom hence forming a dative covalent bond
this leads to that hydrogen atom transferring one of its electrons to chlorine which forms an ionic bond
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by xsowmix
no it shld look like this
01ADEB93-32E5-4BB1-89C7-03CE270D911E_4_5005_c.jpeg
so basically the nitrogen atom in nh3 donates an electron to a hydrogen atom hence forming a dative covalent bond
this leads to that hydrogen atom transferring one of its electrons to chlorine which forms an ionic bond

Thank u!!! I get it now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest