The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Is Keele a trans friendly uni?

Is Keele a good uni for someone who is trans? How accepting are the students / lecturers generally and how active is the LGBT soc?
LGBTQ+ Society goes in phases. Some years a lot happens, some years it's a bit more thin on the ground in terms of events and activities. The same is true for any other society at any other university.

During my time at Keele I found the entire community to be very trans-friendly and LGBTQ+ friendly in general. The Students' Union have done a lot of work in recent years toward developing such a positive culture.

Worth me saying that at every uni you will find some *****, and don't be put off by that. But yeah at Keele there shouldn't be a problem for you as a trans person.

I should say though: the course is the most important thing when selecting your preferred universities. :wink:

Hope this helps :smile:
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Original post by Anonymous
Is Keele a good uni for someone who is trans? How accepting are the students / lecturers generally and how active is the LGBT soc?

Original post by 04MR17
LGBTQ+ Society goes in phases. Some years a lot happens, some years it's a bit more thin on the ground in terms of events and activities. The same is true for any other society at any other university.

During my time at Keele I found the entire community to be very trans-friendly and LGBTQ+ friendly in general. The Students' Union have done a lot of work in recent years toward developing such a positive culture.

Worth me saying that at every uni you will find some *****, and don't be put off by that. But yeah at Keele there shouldn't be a problem for you as a trans person.

I should say though: the course is the most important thing when selecting your preferred universities. :wink:

Hope this helps :smile:

I have quite a few friends who are active in the LGBTQ+ society and believe that it is pretty active at the moment (all things considered given the situation with Covid!) although, being student led, societies can vary in their activities from year to year as @04MR17 has said.

I believe the LGBTQ+ Society has been working a lot with both the SU and the KPA on events such as LGBTQ+ History Month, and to raise awareness of issues that impact LGBTQ+ students, signpost support services, share experiences etc. You can live chat to one of their current committee members - Vic - on our Unibuddy platform: https://api.unibuddy.co/og/keele-university/buddies/students/5e7b7a0281a03e04227d0847?buddyPosition=share. The society is also pretty active on their Facebook page so you can find more about them there.

You might also want to check out the work being done by Women of Keele Educate (W.O.K.E) and speak to the community there - they're active on both Twitter and Facebook and have a number of LGBTQ+ members.

The university also have details on their formal support for our LGBTQ+ community on their website at https://www.keele.ac.uk/students/lifeoutsideofstudy/supportingourdiversecommunity/lgbt/. The SU, KPA, and university also support the #NeverOK campaign (https://www.keele.ac.uk/students/lifeoutsideofstudy/neverok/) and have recently launched an anonymous online reporting tool so that both staff and students can report issues either online or in person.

I hasten to add that my own personal experience of Keele is that it is a welcoming and inclusive university and has a fantastic and friendly staff and student community - but I can only speak from my own experience and I'm not LGBTQ+ so I hope that those links help.

Amy Louise :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Keele Postgraduate
x

Hiya :smile:
I'm afraid TSR rules don't permit sharing of social media links so I've had to edit those out of your post. :redface:

MR
Original post by 04MR17
Hiya :smile:
I'm afraid TSR rules don't permit sharing of social media links so I've had to edit those out of your post. :redface:

MR

Ah! I did not realise that! No worries :smile:. If OP searches for 'Keele LGBTQ+ Society', they should be able to find the social links though - and there are also links from the SU website to all of the societies at Keele (https://keelesu.com/).

Amy Louise :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest