sunnytaeq
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Physics: Im currently procrastinating terribly, I've recently had terrible headaches and bad sleeping pattern due to insomnia. I only have 3 days to revise for my physics test and get a grade 9, keeping in mind in the last mock i got about a grade 5. Im doing higher for the first time is there any way to rush my revision and get the highest possible outcome? Ive briefly went over with physics but I'm just not able to retain the information it goes through one ear to another and its really upsetting. I easily get frustrated and bored when revision isn't done well - Is there any good advice you can supply tome?

English literature: i have an unseen poetry exam but i really don't understand poetry to save my life, like especially if its a poem ive never read, half the time i would misinterpret the poem and take it literally not understand what the poems really allegorical message it was. My unseen poetry is my last test before my GCSE grade is finalised. Is anyone able to know how to get grade 9/ 24/24 in unseen poetry and what the examiners expect in the test im completely unsure of english literature as my school hasn't helped us with revision or taught us the topic due to lockdown and isolation. I have watched a few videos but i feel like the only level ill be able to achieve from it would be level 4/5.
For maths: i absolutely love maths but ive repeatedly got bad grades, despite the thorough revision i have done. I have done everything my teachers have told me; create notes, apply the method, practice papers until i know it off by heart. but, i still get grade 4's/5 its really upsetting how much effort i end up putting into maths - i do sometimes understand its just not enough revision but this year i have revised thoroughly enough to get full marks which i never get. i just dont get it? is there any other revision methods, as maybe the reasoning behind of me getting such terrible grades is due to my revision method? not sure but do please help out.

Combined science as an overall: this is my first and last test this year is there any one who's got really good tips on how to get grade 9 / 8 in science?

English language: we have done english language q5 which i evidently flopped, is there anyone who knows how to get full marks on the Q1-4 questions.

thanks for reading this if anyone is able to get to it!
CosmicApathy1
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Revision and don’t have a neurological disorder. Problem solved.
CatInTheCorner
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sunnytaeq)
Physics: Im currently procrastinating terribly, I've recently had terrible headaches and bad sleeping pattern due to insomnia. I only have 3 days to revise for my physics test and get a grade 9, keeping in mind in the last mock i got about a grade 5. Im doing higher for the first time is there any way to rush my revision and get the highest possible outcome? Ive briefly went over with physics but I'm just not able to retain the information it goes through one ear to another and its really upsetting. I easily get frustrated and bored when revision isn't done well - Is there any good advice you can supply tome?

English literature: i have an unseen poetry exam but i really don't understand poetry to save my life, like especially if its a poem ive never read, half the time i would misinterpret the poem and take it literally not understand what the poems really allegorical message it was. My unseen poetry is my last test before my GCSE grade is finalised. Is anyone able to know how to get grade 9/ 24/24 in unseen poetry and what the examiners expect in the test im completely unsure of english literature as my school hasn't helped us with revision or taught us the topic due to lockdown and isolation. I have watched a few videos but i feel like the only level ill be able to achieve from it would be level 4/5.
For maths: i absolutely love maths but ive repeatedly got bad grades, despite the thorough revision i have done. I have done everything my teachers have told me; create notes, apply the method, practice papers until i know it off by heart. but, i still get grade 4's/5 its really upsetting how much effort i end up putting into maths - i do sometimes understand its just not enough revision but this year i have revised thoroughly enough to get full marks which i never get. i just dont get it? is there any other revision methods, as maybe the reasoning behind of me getting such terrible grades is due to my revision method? not sure but do please help out.

Combined science as an overall: this is my first and last test this year is there any one who's got really good tips on how to get grade 9 / 8 in science?

English language: we have done english language q5 which i evidently flopped, is there anyone who knows how to get full marks on the Q1-4 questions.

For everything, practice paper, practice paper, practice paper. But DONT just do the paper. Go away and learn what you don't know, then redo the specific question. No point realising you don't know something and then going "oopsie" and not doing anything.

For English, try and force yourself to like the poems. Try and put yourself in the mindset of the person writing it or the person that it's describing if it isn't about the author. Watch any plays or videos of people chatting about the poems, and learn a few quotes. For unseen poetry, empathise as much as possible. What is the message? How are they communicating it? Look at mark schemes for more than just marking, and look at examiner's reports. They literally spell out in the reports in plain English "to get a higher grade, students did this, should do this, etc". It's literally a guide to getting a 9 from the people who can give you your 9.

examiner's reports are one google away and saintly, I'm using them for A levels and it's great. they are for all subjects, English and maths and so on.

Maths, past papers but watch videos of people going through the paper ( there are tons ) and don't just copy down the right answer, watch the video for the ones you got wrong, switch it off, then re-do it. Forget the answer, don't work towards it. Show all your working, it snags you marks.

THE BEST MATHS ADVICE EVER: a teacher told me and it saved me! If you don't know what to do, do something. ANYTHING. write it down, draw it out, make an equation. Boom. half of the marks. I'm not kidding. That's at least 50% of your paper right there.

Do all the easy questions first, then all the medium ones, then all the hard ones. ( except for English, since they lead on from one another )

The main tip is videos and papers, as well as songs, diagrams and changing it up. If songs work for you, don't use them for everything, you'll get bored. Don't think about how, or why you're revising, just revise!
Last edited by CatInTheCorner; 1 month ago
sunnytaeq
Rep:
?
(Original post by CatInTheCorner)
For everything, practice paper, practice paper, practice paper. But DONT just do the paper. Go away and learn what you don't know, then redo the specific question. No point realising you don't know something and then going "oopsie" and not doing anything.

For English, try and force yourself to like the poems. Try and put yourself in the mindset of the person writing it or the person that it's describing if it isn't about the author. Watch any plays or videos of people chatting about the poems, and learn a few quotes. For unseen poetry, empathise as much as possible. What is the message? How are they communicating it? Look at mark schemes for more than just marking, and look at examiner's reports. They literally spell out in the reports in plain English "to get a higher grade, students did this, should do this, etc". It's literally a guide to getting a 9 from the people who can give you your 9.

examiner's reports are one google away and saintly, I'm using them for A levels and it's great. they are for all subjects, English and maths and so on.

Maths, past papers but watch videos of people going through the paper ( there are tons ) and don't just copy down the right answer, watch the video for the ones you got wrong, switch it off, then re-do it. Forget the answer, don't work towards it. Show all your working, it snags you marks.

THE BEST MATHS ADVICE EVER: a teacher told me and it saved me! If you don't know what to do, do something. ANYTHING. write it down, draw it out, make an equation. Boom. half of the marks. I'm not kidding. That's at least 50% of your paper right there.

Do all the easy questions first, then all the medium ones, then all the hard ones. ( except for English, since they lead on from one another )

The main tip is videos and papers, as well as songs, diagrams and changing it up. If songs work for you, don't use them for everything, you'll get bored. Don't think about how, or why you're revising, just revise!
omg hi ily thank you so much ):!!!!!!
Last edited by sunnytaeq; 1 month ago
CatInTheCorner
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
omg hi ily thank you so much ):!!!!!!
sure! Message me for anything xx
Nadz101
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CosmicApathy1)
what do you mean by that?
CoochieMan
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CosmicApathy1)
You can still get pretty decent if you've got a neurological disorder. You just need to find a revision method that works best for you.

OP the best way to revise any subject esp sciences and maths is by doing PPQs, I recommend using PMT and focussing on your weaker topics first. Make sure to not neglect your other topics though! You should go through the spec on your exam board specific website and using a highlighter, identify your strong points and weak points. After strengthening your weaker points you should do a whole PPQ under timed conditions and as closely to exam conditions as you can.

Before doing PPQs though, you should take notes. You might not physically take notes if that's not how you learn, I personally learn by listening to explanations rather than writing, but I also find using flashcards to summarise topics is useful. I also use flashcards to write 6/6 mark questions on flashcards, I think it's a good way to summarise.

For subjects like English, I found writing essay plans to be super useful. When I did my English mock, one of the questions that I wrote an essay plan for came up. You should also remember a few quotes from each poem or each theme and the analysis for them, you can use flashcards for this if you can.

I'm not good at writing longish things so if this doesn't make sense, lmk!!
Nadz101
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I really feel for you as I'm in year 11 too.
I don't really know how to help as all the revision methods that you mentioned work for me.
I'm really sorry that I couldn't be of much help but I guess recall and doing practice papers would help. Also maybe try using the RAG method where you write down all the topics that are gonna come up in the paper and red amber green them. You would highlight the ones where you feel most confident in with a green highlighter. The ones where you know what it is but aren't able to really remember it to the best of your ability would be amber and the topics where you feel least confident in would be red.

Then from there you can just focus on the amber and red parts where you first recap the info you can remember without looking at a revision guide, put it all on a mind map and anything you weren't able to remember you would write it on the mind map with a different coloured pen. From there you would do practise papers and constantly review the information that you weren't able to remember from the mid map.

Since you only have three days you should use this method and plan out the stuff you wanna get done that day on a to do list so you down procrastinate.
I realllly hope this helps you!!
sunnytaeq
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoochieMan)
You can still get pretty decent if you've got a neurological disorder. You just need to find a revision method that works best for you.

OP the best way to revise any subject esp sciences and maths is by doing PPQs, I recommend using PMT and focussing on your weaker topics first. Make sure to not neglect your other topics though! You should go through the spec on your exam board specific website and using a highlighter, identify your strong points and weak points. After strengthening your weaker points you should do a whole PPQ under timed conditions and as closely to exam conditions as you can.

Before doing PPQs though, you should take notes. You might not physically take notes if that's not how you learn, I personally learn by listening to explanations rather than writing, but I also find using flashcards to summarise topics is useful. I also use flashcards to write 6/6 mark questions on flashcards, I think it's a good way to summarise.

For subjects like English, I found writing essay plans to be super useful. When I did my English mock, one of the questions that I wrote an essay plan for came up. You should also remember a few quotes from each poem or each theme and the analysis for them, you can use flashcards for this if you can.

I'm not good at writing longish things so if this doesn't make sense, lmk!!
tysm omg! and it does make sense, i completely get it (:!
Last edited by sunnytaeq; 1 month ago
sunnytaeq
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nadz101)
I really feel for you as I'm in year 11 too.
I don't really know how to help as all the revision methods that you mentioned work for me.
I'm really sorry that I couldn't be of much help but I guess recall and doing practice papers would help. Also maybe try using the RAG method where you write down all the topics that are gonna come up in the paper and red amber green them. You would highlight the ones where you feel most confident in with a green highlighter. The ones where you know what it is but aren't able to really remember it to the best of your ability would be amber and the topics where you feel least confident in would be red.

Then from there you can just focus on the amber and red parts where you first recap the info you can remember without looking at a revision guide, put it all on a mind map and anything you weren't able to remember you would write it on the mind map with a different coloured pen. From there you would do practise papers and constantly review the information that you weren't able to remember from the mid map.

Since you only have three days you should use this method and plan out the stuff you wanna get done that day on a to do list so you down procrastinate.
I realllly hope this helps you!!
Tysm! it really does help me (: Good luck at ur GCSE's!!
eve27279
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

for physics try watching freesciencelessons on youtube, take notes and learn from them via flashcards and then try past paper Qs. I found physics super hard but these videos helped me to get a 9.

for english i recommend that you try to discover the tone of what you’re reading first as this could be a good indicator of what it’s about. don’t analyse similes as everyone can spot these. pick apart a quote and try to come up with alternative interpretations.

you get full marks in english language from picking the most obvious answers for Q1. pick apart small quotes in lots of detail + knowing your language features for Q2. for q3 know some key structural features and be able to spot these in any text. for q4 you should try to see the question from different angles and always back up your interpretations with quotes and language and structure. i recommend mr salles on youtube for getting full marks on all these Qs
sunnytaeq
Rep:
?
(Original post by eve27279)
for physics try watching freesciencelessons on youtube, take notes and learn from them via flashcards and then try past paper Qs. I found physics super hard but these videos helped me to get a 9.

for english i recommend that you try to discover the tone of what you’re reading first as this could be a good indicator of what it’s about. don’t analyse similes as everyone can spot these. pick apart a quote and try to come up with alternative interpretations.

you get full marks in english language from picking the most obvious answers for Q1. pick apart small quotes in lots of detail + knowing your language features for Q2. for q3 know some key structural features and be able to spot these in any text. for q4 you should try to see the question from different angles and always back up your interpretations with quotes and language and structure. i recommend mr salles on youtube for getting full marks on all these Qs
Thanks so much omg! And congrats getting a 9! - I ended up ordering a few last min cgp workbooks that guarantee getting a grade 9 and i will use the workbook, create notes and flashcard and go over them repeatedly.! thanks for the tips Hopefully i won't procrastinate or get headaches
Flk10
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Getting all 9s is really a case of hard work. Past papers are important but you also need to know the content for each subject inside out.

Just revise as much as you can- imo a mix of quality and quantity is the best strategy. Try to put in as many hours as you can but also make sure you’re doing high quality revision.
eve27279
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks so much omg! And congrats getting a 9! - I ended up ordering a few last min cgp workbooks that guarantee getting a grade 9 and i will use the workbook, create notes and flashcard and go over them repeatedly.! thanks for the tips Hopefully i won't procrastinate or get headaches
i get frequent headaches but they used to be a lot worse in year 11. i’ve found that after taking up running and drinking a lot more water they don’t affect me as badly anymore!
sunnytaeq
Rep:
?
(Original post by eve27279)
i get frequent headaches but they used to be a lot worse in year 11. i’ve found that after taking up running and drinking a lot more water they don’t affect me as badly anymore!
Unfortunately its ramadan this month and has already begun. But, due to my headaches and procrastination i think i will start my revision between iftar and sehri in other words an all nighter may help me. Most of my tests fall into ramadan so i dont have much option but to pass through or take painkillers during iftar or sehri. (did it today but seems like my head has some issues and loves to ache even when medication is given )
sunnytaeq
Rep:
?
(Original post by Flk10)
Getting all 9s is really a case of hard work. Past papers are important but you also need to know the content for each subject inside out.

Just revise as much as you can- imo a mix of quality and quantity is the best strategy. Try to put in as many hours as you can but also make sure you’re doing high quality revision.
tysm for the tips!! - i will try and use all revision methods effectively to ensure me to reach the grade i want thanks one again.
Nadz101
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Unfortunately its ramadan this month and has already begun. But, due to my headaches and procrastination i think i will start my revision between iftar and sehri in other words an all nighter may help me. Most of my tests fall into ramadan so i dont have much option but to pass through or take painkillers during iftar or sehri. (did it today but seems like my head has some issues and loves to ache even when medication is given )
Ramadan Mubarak
sunnytaeq
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nadz101)
Ramadan Mubarak
Ramadan Mubarak to you too!! I started ramadan on wednesday, when did you start yours?
Nadz101
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ramadan Mubarak to you too!! I started ramadan on wednesday, when did you start yours?
I started Ramadan on Tuesday so I guess I'm one day ahead
eve27279
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
if the headaches cause concentration issues/ tiredness i’d recommend to take deep breaths and frequent breaks. don’t push yourself too much and remember that your health matters more than exams!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (66)
27.73%
England (82)
34.45%
Belgium (19)
7.98%
Germany (28)
11.76%
Spain (3)
1.26%