The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oxford Mum

wow thanks!
i will look at them, I wanna study human sciences at Oxford University so much :woo:
Original post by AsKim
ah okay thanks, will it be even more competitive because of "grade inflation"?
and will they give interviews for those who achieve above 90% in the admission test?

I don't know what the criteria are. As for the admissions test, it depends what everyone else gets!

Many students on this thread play the "statistics game", going into it in massive detail.

It all boils down to this. If you want to apply, apply. If you are good enough, you will get an offer.

The best use of your time is finding out which area of this subject you particularly love and researching it.
Original post by AsKim
ah okay thanks, will it be even more competitive because of "grade inflation"?
and will they give interviews for those who achieve above 90% in the admission test?

According to FOI requested data, the average scores achieved by shortlisted candidates applying to read Human Sciences for 2020 entry were as follows:-

Average TSA Section 1 score- 67.8 with the lowest average being Hertford College at 65.4

You can find a lot of data about admission stats on FOI websites. I'm attaching a few inquests here:-

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/human_sciences_2021_entry#incoming-1722255
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/statistics_for_human_sciences_20

These contain A level predictions and TSA scores for shortlisted and successful applicants this year.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by CBSEstudent
According to FOI requested data, the average scores achieved by candidates applying to read Human Sciences for 2020 entry were as follows:-

Average TSA Section 1 score- 67.8 with the lowest average being Hertford College at 65.4

You can find a lot of data about admission stats on FOI websites. I'm attaching a few inquests here:-

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/human_sciences_2021_entry#incoming-1722255
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/statistics_for_human_sciences_20

These contain A level predictions and TSA scores for shortlisted and successful applicants this year.

wow thanks! this will be really helpful!
Original post by AsKim
wow thanks! this will be really helpful!

If you have any specific data requests or queries that you can't find online or on the university website, feel free to submit a request to the university for the data. You can use sites like 'What do they know' to send in a request for free. Under the Freedom of Information Act of 2000, the University must ( and usually does ) respond within 20 working days. Also , you don't have to be a citizen or a resident of the UK to submit a request.
It is also okay to use a pseudonym.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by GCM42
Thank you for sharing the oxford chemistry taster day @elilast. I got in :smile:

Glad to hear it! Hope you enjoy!
Original post by elilast
Glad to hear it! Hope you enjoy!

Teamwork...
Subject applying for ~ biology
College applying to ~ not sure yet, but probably LMH, Wadham or St Anne's
A Levels/ equiv taking ~ biology, chemistry, history
Additional qualifications (if any) - EPQ on marine ecosystem damage
Predicted/ Achieved grades (A level/ eq)~ A*A*A
Achieved GCSE/ equiv grades ~ 999999998888
Why Oxford? ~ tutorials, collegiate system, the course seems diverse and interesting
Why that college? (if you know why) ~ they're more chill and liberal than some of the older colleges (at least that's what I've heard), and those 3 have kitchen access which is a big plus for me
State/Private/Grammar/Home ~ state
Original post by bleedmagic
Why Oxford? ~ tutorials, collegiate system, the course seems diverse and interesting
Why that college? (if you know why) ~ they're more chill and liberal than some of the older colleges (at least that's what I've heard), and those 3 have kitchen access which is a big plus for me

Wow! Another bio applicant :biggrin::tongue:
Nice to meet you :wavey:

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
you too :smile: do you know what college yet?

Spoiler

Original post by Sophiemariexx13
wow! That really does sound promising :smile: This has really helped me to put Oriel as a serious contender! I took a look at the virtual tour after your suggestion and it IS so beautiful too!

So, I’m a former Oriel student, graduated a few years ago. I loved it initially and the JCR can have really good vibes. As for the “Toriel” reputation, this is sadly true but mostly for the SCR. The Provost basically got made a peer for not taking down the statue of Cecil Rhodes despite the JCR and MCR voting to respect the very clear feedback from Oriel students of colour. The chaplain seems nice but in my second year, he co-founded an invitation only members club for alt-right students who were “sound anglicans”. Two of the SCR members involved with the choir in my time there had inappropriate relations with students, one got sacked (thankfully) but the other one got promoted. There is a very loud Catholic minority which tried to ban meat from Hall on Fridays. The MCR stopped providing students who identify as female with birth control. These are just some of the things which went on. I still have some friends there and it hasn’t changed. Honestly, it’s a great college but beware the SCR. Also, it has no money so the college doesn’t really help their students in ways that are normal at other colleges. I’m at a different college for my DPhil and it’s amazing seeing how other colleges actually take care of their students.
you too :smile: do you know what college yet?

Spoiler

Open to change, but right now: Worcester, Wadham, Merton - though wadham's 4th yr accommodation kinda puts me off
Don't mind me asking, but have you done any 'super-curriculars' so far?
(edited 3 years ago)

Here is the Oxford Demystified chapter for biology, written by one of our most loved and venerated TSRians

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=91633386&highlight=Biology
Original post by CBSEstudent
Here's info that I found from the most recent admissions cycle from Keble College.

In Human Sciences, 233 (220 in 2019) candidates applied to Oxford; 106 of those were
shortlisted following the guidelines agreed among the colleges. The outcome was that 34
(40 in 2019) offers were made, 33 for October 2021 and 1 for October 2022. The reduced
number of offers made was related to the number of places that had already been given as
deferred places from the previous year’s cohort, due to the various effects of the pandemic.
This was thus an exceptionally competitive year. At Keble, there were 32 (26 in 2019)
applicants for the 3 offers made.

For Human Sciences, the large numbers applying overall entail that it is not possible to
interview all candidates: only a proportion of candidates can be summoned for interview
under 50% this year. Grounds for not summoning include: less good results in official
examinations (especially GCSE); less good results predicted for A level and/or other
impending examinations; and relatively low results in the TSA.
Final selection was made on the basis of several factors, including achieved and predicted
grades, personal statement, school report, TSA score, contextual information, and
performance at interview.

P.S. the interview rates vary greatly between Home students and International students also.

Thanks very much for this info
Original post by Way2Good
So, I’m a former Oriel student, graduated a few years ago. I loved it initially and the JCR can have really good vibes. As for the “Toriel” reputation, this is sadly true but mostly for the SCR. The Provost basically got made a peer for not taking down the statue of Cecil Rhodes despite the JCR and MCR voting to respect the very clear feedback from Oriel students of colour. The chaplain seems nice but in my second year, he co-founded an invitation only members club for alt-right students who were “sound anglicans”. Two of the SCR members involved with the choir in my time there had inappropriate relations with students, one got sacked (thankfully) but the other one got promoted. There is a very loud Catholic minority which tried to ban meat from Hall on Fridays. The MCR stopped providing students who identify as female with birth control. These are just some of the things which went on. I still have some friends there and it hasn’t changed. Honestly, it’s a great college but beware the SCR. Also, it has no money so the college doesn’t really help their students in ways that are normal at other colleges. I’m at a different college for my DPhil and it’s amazing seeing how other colleges actually take care of their students.

I don't really recognise this description of Oriel, but you went there, so I guess you should know.

Oriel has shown nothing but kindness to my own son, at least.
Original post by Bookworm_88
Open to change, but right now: Worcester, Wadham, Merton - though wadham's 4th yr accommodation kinda puts me off
Don't mind me asking, but have you done any 'super-curriculars' so far?

I've mostly just done extra reading so far, plus a few MOOCs- hopefully I'll get to do a summer school or work experience soon too :smile: you?
I've mostly just done extra reading so far, plus a few MOOCs- hopefully I'll get to do a summer school or work experience soon too :smile: you?

im also doing moocs atm, what flatform are u using? im using coursera btw

I took part in an essay competition and am doing an EPQ and that's about it :biggrin:
I have signed up for a mooc, but haven't started it yet and want to get some books for my birthday, fingers crossed :yes:
(edited 3 years ago)

Hello! It’s nice to see another life sciences applicant. I’m not applying for bio, I’m applying for biochem but they’re both classed as life sciences (I think) so it’s nice.

Latest

Trending

Trending