The Student Room Group

Cambridge ICE MSt IR & AI

Hello all,

luckily I received an invitation to a interview for the MSt in IR, and hope for another one in AI as well.

My question is:

How do these "informal 20 minute calls" usually proceed? Should I prepare something specific?

Thank you for your help :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by matzehg
Hello all,

luckily I received an invitation to a interview for the MSt in IR, and hope for another one in AI as well.

My question is:

How do these "informal 20 minute calls" usually proceed? Should I prepare something specific?

Thank you for your help :smile:

You just need to know why you are applying for the course, what you can contribute and how you plan to use it afterwards. ICE is small enough to probably know you are applying for 2 courses, and Cam generally doesn't like this, so if they bring it up, make sure you have a great reason as to why this specific course at Cam.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
You just need to know why you are applying for the course, what you can contribute and how you plan to use it afterwards. ICE is small enough to probably know you are applying for 2 courses, and Cam generally doesn't like this, so if they bring it up, make sure you have a great reason as to why this specific course at Cam.

Oh, I did not know that they frown upon that, and don't understand why. hm. But really, I think I can argue my case in this regard, and feel either option would be immensely valuable for me. Thanks for the quick reply, I'll try to prepare in that regard then.
Reply 3
Tomorrow the interview takes place, very excited and looking forward to it.
Is it ok to let others know what it was like and what they asked for in here? Or is that rather a taboo?
Original post by matzehg
Tomorrow the interview takes place, very excited and looking forward to it.
Is it ok to let others know what it was like and what they asked for in here? Or is that rather a taboo?

You aren't allowed to give details about questions that were asked in interviews, here on TSR. You can reassure people it wasn't an ordeal though!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Hello there again,

so the interview went fine, I hope, the interviewers were kind and interested at the very least. Besides the points raised by threeportdrift, you should be aware of your research proposal and explain it in some more detail. Now to wait for the result, hoping for the best of course. And good luck to everybody else as well :smile:
Reply 6
So... anybody else here applying for the ICE? And does anybody know whether one really has to wait till August before feedback comes in? It says so on the homepage, but given that interviews were in April, does it really take this long?

Regards
Original post by matzehg
So... anybody else here applying for the ICE? And does anybody know whether one really has to wait till August before feedback comes in? It says so on the homepage, but given that interviews were in April, does it really take this long?

Regards

They only give feedback to applicants who aren't made an offer. It's a very low priority task. They focus on the process for applicants they are taking forward, and exams etc for students they currently have, so the time for feedback doesn't come until everything is settled in the gap between the previous year's recruitment round and before the start of term.
Reply 8
Original post by matzehg
Hello there again,

so the interview went fine, I hope, the interviewers were kind and interested at the very least. Besides the points raised by threeportdrift, you should be aware of your research proposal and explain it in some more detail. Now to wait for the result, hoping for the best of course. And good luck to everybody else as well :smile:

Congrats on getting the interview for the MSt in IR! Have you heard anything regarding interviews for the MSt in AI?
Reply 9
Hey All - I also applied to the MST in IR and am yet to hear back. Do you know if all Interviews take place by the end of April?
Reply 10
Original post by threeportdrift
They only give feedback to applicants who aren't made an offer. It's a very low priority task. They focus on the process for applicants they are taking forward, and exams etc for students they currently have, so the time for feedback doesn't come until everything is settled in the gap between the previous year's recruitment round and before the start of term.

I see, well, then I can only wait and hope. it would make my day very easy if I received feedback earlier, but now I have some time to explore alternatives as well, so all is good. Current exams and course works require a lot of attention either way, so all fine. Thanks for clarifying.

Original post by seb82
Congrats on getting the interview for the MSt in IR! Have you heard anything regarding interviews for the MSt in AI?

Thanks! No, nothing yet, but given that IR deadline was somewhat earlier than AI I hope to get an invite within the next few weeks.

Original post by JPM89
Hey All - I also applied to the MST in IR and am yet to hear back. Do you know if all Interviews take place by the end of April?

There was a list circulated with interview dates available for picking on a first-come first-serve method, ranging from the 15th to the 19th of April. I cannot say if there will be a second set of interviews or anything, sorry.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by matzehg
I see, well, then I can only wait and hope. it would make my day very easy if I received feedback earlier, but now I have some time to explore alternatives as well, so all is good. Current exams and course works require a lot of attention either way, so all fine. Thanks for clarifying.

Thanks! No, nothing yet, but given that IR deadline was somewhat earlier than AI I hope to get an invite within the next few weeks.

There was a list circulated with interview dates available for picking on a first-come first-serve method, ranging from the 15th to the 19th of April. I cannot say if there will be a second set of interviews or anything, sorry.

Thanks! What this sent by email or am I possibly missing some other form of communication?
Reply 12
Original post by JPM89
Thanks! What this sent by email or am I possibly missing some other form of communication?

Hey there, yes, I received it per email, you might want to check your spam folder for mail coming from "ICE Global Studies".

On another note: I received an invitation to an interview for AI Ethics & Society, so it seems they have begun sending out invites. It will take place towards the end of the month.

Anybody else heard something?
Reply 13
Original post by matzehg
Hey there, yes, I received it per email, you might want to check your spam folder for mail coming from "ICE Global Studies".

On another note: I received an invitation to an interview for AI Ethics & Society, so it seems they have begun sending out invites. It will take place towards the end of the month.

Anybody else heard something?

Thanks! I do now have an interview for MSt IR in the next week.

Who conducted your interview and how long did it last? Do you possibly have any other tips?
Reply 14
Hey, great news, good luck on yours!
Well, it took longer than the standard 20 minutes, for one.
Other tips... mhm, well you should have examples ready when mentioning your job wishes, your social/political activities and the like. So for example I was asked what i wanted to do with the degree, I said I plan on X and Y. To which they responded with: well, have you been active in that regard already, how else do you prepare? Otherwise, just read the programme, be aware of the modules, the standard stuff, really.

As to the interviewers, they were two, one lady from admin, and one of the two course directors, they should have announced them to you in your email, though. at least it was that way for me.

Hope that helps :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 15
So tomorrow is the big day, will give a short account of how it was in here, if someone is interested. Wish me luck :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by matzehg
So tomorrow is the big day, will give a short account of how it was in here, if someone is interested. Wish me luck :smile:

I've just done the interview for Mst in AI :smile: they were really friendly and pretty much asked the standard questions. good luck!
Reply 17
Original post by Jennc
I've just done the interview for Mst in AI :smile: they were really friendly and pretty much asked the standard questions. good luck!

Congrats to both of you! I'm really nervous... Having mine soon. This might sound silly, but what counts as standard questions? Were there many people on the call? Good luck to all!!
Reply 18
not silly! It was just two people on the call, and overall it was quite relaxed. They ask about the practical stuff, like your ambitions and abilities/skills that demonstrate your ability to excel in the course. But they also want to know about your passions in AI ethics and the course— if you bring up any interesting points/projects, they're also interested in delving into those topics further. It was much more of a 'how do you think' approach, and not 'what do you know', so don't stress :smile:)
Reply 19
Hey that sounds awesome! I hope it goes similarly well for me then, very excited already. Hopefully see you folks then there, soon :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending