Meta- improvements for university application forums

Watch
lol.yolo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Can we ban uni reps from muscling into threads that oftentimes don't concern them just to copy-paste a generic sales pitch about the university (unless specifically asked). I've seen reps respond on threads about COMPLETELY DIFFERENT universities like 'btw have you looked at the great courses my university offers and bla bla bla'. I didn't mind when I first started using the uni forums and was doing broad research into potential uni and course options but by now the forums are so saturated with uninvited salesman shpiel its really annoying. If I've posted a question concerning my application to a specific university I do not want another one replying with several paragraphs of how good they are- hey newsflash I knocked you off my list months ago- that's why I DO NOT MENTION YOUR UNI IN THE POST ABOUT UNIS I APPLIED TO. Sometimes I wonder if they even read the post at all, or just searched for threads containing a keyword

I understand there's a time and a place for uni reps and they can be useful in answering questions but can we do something to stop the generic copy-pastes in threads about different unis or when the information is totally irrelevant. keep them to answering questions only and cut out the unprompted and insincere sales.
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Totally agree with the above sentiments.

Some Uni Reps just paraphrase an answer already posted or its 'I don't know much about this but...' just to add 'their Uni name' to a thread. There is also at least one Student Rep who starts their own threads with blatant promo-pieces about their own Uni.

I appreciate that TSR gets money from these Uni Reps but they do need to be given clearer guidelines about what/when they should be posting.
GabiAbi84
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I don’t understand why they comment on forums that are distinctly for a different uni anyway.
There’s a certain Uni that always comments on a similar “style” of uni when a person is asking questions about the Uni that the forum they’re posting in is for.
I don’t get it.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by lol.yolo)
Can we ban uni reps from muscling into threads that oftentimes don't concern them just to copy-paste a generic sales pitch about the university (unless specifically asked). I've seen reps respond on threads about COMPLETELY DIFFERENT universities like 'btw have you looked at the great courses my university offers and bla bla bla'. I didn't mind when I first started using the uni forums and was doing broad research into potential uni and course options but by now the forums are so saturated with uninvited salesman shpiel its really annoying. If I've posted a question concerning my application to a specific university I do not want another one replying with several paragraphs of how good they are- hey newsflash I knocked you off my list months ago- that's why I DO NOT MENTION YOUR UNI IN THE POST ABOUT UNIS I APPLIED TO. Sometimes I wonder if they even read the post at all, or just searched for threads containing a keyword

I understand there's a time and a place for uni reps and they can be useful in answering questions but can we do something to stop the generic copy-pastes in threads about different unis or when the information is totally irrelevant. keep them to answering questions only and cut out the unprompted and insincere sales.
You can report university reps for off topic or non constructive posts same ask any other members.

There’s even a specific report reason of “rep posting inappropriately” (under advertising/spam).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (65)
21.96%
Excited but a bit nervous (134)
45.27%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.16%
I'm really nervous (61)
20.61%

Watched Threads