The Student Room Group

Dropping subjects help?

Basically, I'm doing 5 A-levels right now (I'm in year 12), which is maths, further maths, physics and 2 other subjects but I really am not enjoying or finding physics as interesting as the other subjects. I told myself that I would drop a subject at the end of this year (12) but I have a feeling that maybe I should consider dropping physics sooner, since I know I definitely want to drop it now. Will it benefit me (at all???) to just hang in there till the end of the year with physics? I'm also not very good (despite getting 9 at gcse lol) at physics (think solid Cs), but with all my other subjects I'm getting much higher grades.

I've just been finding the workload a bit suffocating lately and I want to drop down to 4 subjects, since I have barely any free periods (and 4 lunchtime lessons). Especially since the end of year exams are coming up and I really don't wanna spend time revising for a subject I know I will drop. Any advice???
If you’ve been entered into the AS exams, then its worth keeping going to get a qualification. If your school (or physics teacher) is only doing internal exams then there’s absolutely no benefit to waiting for the end of the year
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by fluous
Basically, I'm doing 5 A-levels right now (I'm in year 12), which is maths, further maths, physics and 2 other subjects but I really am not enjoying or finding physics as interesting as the other subjects. I told myself that I would drop a subject at the end of this year (12) but I have a feeling that maybe I should consider dropping physics sooner, since I know I definitely want to drop it now. Will it benefit me (at all???) to just hang in there till the end of the year with physics? I'm also not very good (despite getting 9 at gcse lol) at physics (think solid Cs), but with all my other subjects I'm getting much higher grades.

I've just been finding the workload a bit suffocating lately and I want to drop down to 4 subjects, since I have barely any free periods (and 4 lunchtime lessons). Especially since the end of year exams are coming up and I really don't wanna spend time revising for a subject I know I will drop. Any advice???

Hey :smile:

I hope you're doing well !

Firstly well done for getting through this year so far :smile:
Obviously, it is standard for people to do only 3 A-levels as they are very heavily content based and is the general number for a University entry requirement.

Are you going to be sitting the Physics AS-Level? If so this could be beneficial UCAS points wise. Saying that, if you're going to be doing 4 full A-Levels then you shouldn't have to worry about that :smile:
If you think you cannot carry on with it much longer as it is detrimental to your other grades then drop it whenever you are ready. The most important think looking forward is that you get the basic entry requirements for which ever path you want to follow beyond A-Levels, so definitely put yourself first in that respect. If you are really unsure, go and speak to a teacher or head of Sixth Form etc and they may be able to advise you further!

Hope this helps,
Sian- UoP Rep :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hey :smile:

I hope you're doing well !

Firstly well done for getting through this year so far :smile:
Obviously, it is standard for people to do only 3 A-levels as they are very heavily content based and is the general number for a University entry requirement.

Are you going to be sitting the Physics AS-Level? If so this could be beneficial UCAS points wise. Saying that, if you're going to be doing 4 full A-Levels then you shouldn't have to worry about that :smile:
If you think you cannot carry on with it much longer as it is detrimental to your other grades then drop it whenever you are ready. The most important think looking forward is that you get the basic entry requirements for which ever path you want to follow beyond A-Levels, so definitely put yourself first in that respect. If you are really unsure, go and speak to a teacher or head of Sixth Form etc and they may be able to advise you further!

Hope this helps,
Sian- UoP Rep :smile:

Original post by WantBeAnonymous
If you’ve been entered into the AS exams, then its worth keeping going to get a qualification. If your school (or physics teacher) is only doing internal exams then there’s absolutely no benefit to waiting for the end of the year

Thank you both for your advice! I am not doing AS-Level, so I think I'm going to start talking with my teachers on dropping Physics.

Quick Reply

Latest