The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Second Undergrad

Would it be completely silly of me to pursue a second undergrad at LSE? Or to be specific - I would have completed 3 years of uni education at a lower ranked uni (not graduated) and then start an undergrad at LSE.

Setting financial aspects aside - would this be a disadvantage to me? I would graduate with a masters at around 26. I mean career wise or if I want to do a PHD and go for an academic career...
IMO yes. Why can't you finish your degree and then do a masters at LSE or a similarly ranked uni? If a masters is in your plan anyways, then the undergrad university you attended doesn't really matter when applying for jobs. The only exception I think would be if the subject you want to take at LSE is completely different from your current undergrad. Otherwise, it's a waste of three years.
(edited 3 years ago)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by xxbluerainbows
IMO yes. Why can't you finish your degree and then do a masters at LSE or a similarly ranked uni? If a masters is in your plan anyways, then the undergrad university you attended doesn't really matter when applying for jobs. The only exception I think would be if the subject you want to take at LSE is completely different from your current undergrad. Otherwise, it's a waste of three years.

Yeah I guess you’re right! For some reason I’m just being really existential about it and wondering if 3 years would really be that much in the grand scheme of things... Like, I’d really want the experience and I really take uni more from the perspective of learning and getting experiences for their own sake, not as a tool to get something else. Idk.
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah I guess you’re right! For some reason I’m just being really existential about it and wondering if 3 years would really be that much in the grand scheme of things... Like, I’d really want the experience and I really take uni more from the perspective of learning and getting experiences for their own sake, not as a tool to get something else. Idk.

In that case, and if it's not a financial issue, I guess it's up to you! I just don't think that it will help job prospects at all (and may actually hurt them). Are you unhappy with your current university? Because LSE does have pretty low student satisfaction rates and is often considered one of the worst for 'uni experience'.
Reply 4
Original post by xxbluerainbows
In that case, and if it's not a financial issue, I guess it's up to you! I just don't think that it will help job prospects at all (and may actually hurt them). Are you unhappy with your current university? Because LSE does have pretty low student satisfaction rates and is often considered one of the worst for 'uni experience'.

Yeah, if I happened to get good funding I personally would probably go for it, but the job prospect/general perception of me due to that decision is what I’m wondering about. And I’m not unhappy, it’s a very respected uni in my home country and produces a lot of influential people, I’m just looking to move abroad and hopefully be internationally competitive. It might also just be partly due to Covid that I’m feeling unsatisfied and wishing to ’start over’ haha. I’ll have to think about this thoroughly!
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah, if I happened to get good funding I personally would probably go for it, but the job prospect/general perception of me due to that decision is what I’m wondering about. And I’m not unhappy, it’s a very respected uni in my home country and produces a lot of influential people, I’m just looking to move abroad and hopefully be internationally competitive. It might also just be partly due to Covid that I’m feeling unsatisfied and wishing to ’start over’ haha. I’ll have to think about this thoroughly!

If you're not unhappy with your university experience, I would urge you to consider graduating from where you are and then applying for a masters abroad. That way you can be internationally competitive without the wasted years. But if it's 100% what you want to do and you're financially able, then go for it!
I’d complete current Obe and then do it. 3 years sbs not graduating would look suspect in any cv.

2 different degrees would look interesting without the downside of not finishing one.
It does depend what courses both are and what you plan to do later? If degree 2 clearly leads to next career I can’t see any issue. Else it seems a bit pointless but you can do what I did and do another degree later in life.
2 very similar degrees may look odd. But say law then criminology don't have much module overlap and are in same area

But law with french and then law with history looks like you are trying to coast a bit with some easy choices? but no UCAS reason why you shouldn't do those.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending