The Student Room Group

A level grades

Hi, so I'm just really confused about this. This year I will be graded by teacher assessments which will be my as grade. Next year, hoping the exams are on, I will work towards the grade which will then be marked like a normal exam and not teacher assessed. Are the as grade and the a level grade two seperate grades ? I'm currently in my first year of sixth form.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Demi2233
Hi, so I'm just really confused about this. This year I will be graded by teacher assessments which will be my as grade. Next year, hoping the exams are on, I will work towards the grade which will then be marked like a normal exam and not teacher assessed. Are the as grade and the a level grade two seperate grades ? I'm currently in my first year of sixth form.

Which country are you in?
Reply 2

No
AS grades are just grade from exams the school makes to give to ur unis
U can only take an AS Level in subjects like Further Maths
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
Which country are you in?

England
Reply 4
England

Yh
I believe there’s no like proper grades for AS if u get what I mean
It’s like grades used for ur uni but like not like proper grades
Unless u do an AS in further maths :smile:
England

AS levels in England are stand-alone qualifications [ie they are separate from A level] which most schools don't even sit - are you sure you would have taken exams?
Reply 6
Original post by R.Hasani
Yh
I believe there’s no like proper grades for AS if u get what I mean
It’s like grades used for ur uni but like not like proper grades
Unless u do an AS in further maths :smile:

So I'm doing literature, law and physcology but only have an as exam in law and physcology this year, but obviously theyll be teacher assessed this year . I need 1 A and 2 B's for the uni course I want to do. I'm just trying to figure out I'd my as grades will affect my a level grades. I'm really confused! x
Reply 7
So I'm doing literature, law and physcology but only have an as exam in law and physcology this year, but obviously theyll be teacher assessed this year . I need 1 A and 2 B's for the uni course I want to do. I'm just trying to figure out I'd my as grades will affect my a level grades. I'm really confused! x

So ur AS grades don’t affect ur A Level grades unless they r gonna be teacher predicted like the last two years
But ur AS grades may count towards the predicted grades that u use to apply to ur unis in September or October of Year 13
Reply 8
K

So ur AS grades don’t affect ur A Level grades unless they r gonna be teacher predicted like the last two years
But ur AS grades may count towards the predicted grades that u use to apply to ur unis in September or October of Year 13

Right okay, so when I apply to uni and my needed grades for the course are 1 A and 2 B's will they look at my a level grades?
Reply 9
K

Right okay, so when I apply to uni and my needed grades for the course are 1 A and 2 B's will they look at my a level grades?

Ok so basically when u apply to the unis that u wanna go to at the start of Year 13, u use ur predicted grades that teachers gave u from AS. This will all be put on ur UCAS form. The uni will then use ur UCAS form to call u for interviews and if u do well in the interviews then they offer u a place if u get the grades they want u to get at A Level.
Then when u get ur A Level grades I believe u send them to ur unis or something and if u get the grades they expected u to get then u will get a place at the uni
Ok so basically when u apply to the unis that u wanna go to at the start of Year 13, u use ur predicted grades that teachers gave u from AS. This will all be put on ur UCAS form. The uni will then use ur UCAS form to call u for interviews and if u do well in the interviews then they offer u a place if u get the grades they want u to get at A Level.
Then when u get ur A Level grades I believe u send them to ur unis or something and if u get the grades they expected u to get then u will get a place at the uni

Most university courses don't require interviews I don't think
Original post by Levi.-
Most university courses don't require interviews I don't think

Oh right
I’m taking medicine and I think we have interviews so I guess it depends on the course as well
Reply 12

Ah okay thank you! My physcology teacher said that the as and a level grades will be combined, what does this mean?
Ah okay thank you! My physcology teacher said that the as and a level grades will be combined, what does this mean?

I’m not too sure what ur psychology teacher is tryna say either sorry :/
Is he maybe talking about grades for if there are no exams?

It used to be that AS grades combined into making A level grades under the modular system, but that isn't true anymore - they're standalone qualifications. If you're getting official AS qualifications this year, you'll apply to UCAS with your achieved GCSE and AS grades, and your predicted A level grades. Then when you do your exams at the end of year 13, those exams alone will determine your A level grades in those subjects and those A level grades will be what unis use to decide if you've met your offer or not.
Reply 15
Original post by Interea
It used to be that AS grades combined into making A level grades under the modular system, but that isn't true anymore - they're standalone qualifications. If you're getting official AS qualifications this year, you'll apply to UCAS with your achieved GCSE and AS grades, and your predicted A level grades. Then when you do your exams at the end of year 13, those exams alone will determine your A level grades in those subjects and those A level grades will be what unis use to decide if you've met your offer or not.

This is really helpful thank you so much x

Quick Reply