The Student Room Group

Learning to drive - help?!? Automatic or manual

Hi! So I really want to learn how to drive but I don't know whether to learn manual or automatic...

My dad owns an automatic car so I won't be able to use his car to practice outside of lessons I'd I do decide to do manual (so I will have to stick with the driving lessons) But if I do automatic I have the option to practice outside of lessons.

I'm turning 17 in June and want to be able to drive by September ( I am not currently in school until September so I have a lot of available time). I plan on taking the theory test on the 14th June to get it out of the way.. thank you!!
Original post by mischievousnoir
Hi! So I really want to learn how to drive but I don't know whether to learn manual or automatic...

My dad owns an automatic car so I won't be able to use his car to practice outside of lessons I'd I do decide to do manual (so I will have to stick with the driving lessons) But if I do automatic I have the option to practice outside of lessons.

I'm turning 17 in June and want to be able to drive by September ( I am not currently in school until September so I have a lot of available time). I plan on taking the theory test on the 14th June to get it out of the way.. thank you!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe if you learn to drive a manual, then you'll be allowed to drive manual and automatic cars when you pass. If you learn how to drive an automatic though, then you're only allowed to drive automatic cars once you've passed.

Perhaps weigh this thought out first? Hopefully that helps a bit with deciding :smile:
No harm in practicing in an automatic and have lessons and test in a manual. Lots of skills beyond gear change and clutch control.
Reply 3
definitely go manual.
Reply 4
Original post by yippy-yikes
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe if you learn to drive a manual, then you'll be allowed to drive manual and automatic cars when you pass. If you learn how to drive an automatic though, then you're only allowed to drive automatic cars once you've passed.

Perhaps weigh this thought out first? Hopefully that helps a bit with deciding :smile:

you are correct. sound bit of advice.:u:
Reply 5
Learn in a manual and then, after passing the test, switch to an automatic if you don't like it.
Reply 6
Learning in an automatic is a false economy.
Original post by mischievousnoir

I made a thread similar to this like two weeks ago too lol
I think manual is better, which is what I will be doing anyways :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
I would say if you can, then get a manual license.

If you have an automatic license it may limit things a lot in the future. There will be less choice in the used car market and automatic cars tend to more expensive. My mother in law has an automatic license and she says it’s a pain when her car breaks down and she can’t borrow anyone else’s. There’s certainly been many occasions over the years when I’ve needed to borrow someone’s car. I think renting vehicles might also be difficult as whenever I’ve hired a van they all seem to be manual, again might limit options and/or make things more awkward or expensive.🙈
Reply 9
Original post by StudyMum2021

If you have an automatic license it may limit things a lot in the future. There will be less choice in the used car market and automatic cars tend to more expensive. My mother in law has an automatic license and she says it’s a pain when her car breaks down and she can’t borrow anyone else’s. There’s certainly been many occasions over the years when I’ve needed to borrow someone’s car. I think renting vehicles might also be difficult as whenever I’ve hired a van they all seem to be manual, again might limit options and/or make things more awkward or expensive.🙈

While all that is true, it is worth noting more and more new cars are automatic (and all electric vehicles) so manuals will eventually be a thing of the past.
Reply 10
Original post by cnwenciw
While all that is true, it is worth noting more and more new cars are automatic (and all electric vehicles) so manuals will eventually be a thing of the past.

Not for a very long time.
Original post by cnwenciw

Eventually, yes. But I don’t think this will happen within the next few decades.
Learn how to drive a manual.

When you travel, when you visit other countries and cities, car hire will have increased availability, selection, and be cheaper for manual cars.

It may well be that more cars in the US are automatic, and that an increased number of cars in the future are automatic (electric drivetrains don't have mechanical gears), but unfortunately you're about a decade or so behind ubiquitous automatic vehicles.

Additionally, even with automatics having knowledge of gearing is surprisingly useful as an awareness of how a car will behave.

Learn manual as you can drive automatics with that licence, whereas if you learn automatic then you can only drive automatic (and will be excluded from hiring vehicles in many places based on their fleet being exclusively manual).
Original post by stem_leader
Learn how to drive a manual.

When you travel, when you visit other countries and cities, car hire will have increased availability, selection, and be cheaper for manual cars.

It may well be that more cars in the US are automatic, and that an increased number of cars in the future are automatic (electric drivetrains don't have mechanical gears), but unfortunately you're about a decade or so behind ubiquitous automatic vehicles.

Additionally, even with automatics having knowledge of gearing is surprisingly useful as an awareness of how a car will behave.

Learn manual as you can drive automatics with that licence, whereas if you learn automatic then you can only drive automatic (and will be excluded from hiring vehicles in many places based on their fleet being exclusively manual).

Ah thank you! I am heavily leaning towards learning manual but my only worry is how I can practice outside of lessons as my dad has an automatic only license so I am unable to practice with him.
Original post by StudyMum2021

Thank you! I'm all for having as many option as I can open to me but the idea of not having practice outside lessons worries me a bit 👀
Original post by Qxi.xli
I made a thread similar to this like two weeks ago too lol
I think manual is better, which is what I will be doing anyways :smile:

It definitely seems like and I like the idea of changing gears while driving. I do wish you the best of luck when you start!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending