The Student Room Group

Where can I publish my undergraduate research paper?

I am an undergraduate university student, and have recently got my research paper back (a review paper) and my academic tutor told me it is of a publishable standard. I am now looking to publish it, but I am lost as to where?

I have spent hours trawling through websites, many of them cost hundreds to go through publication, and I cannot seem to find any that are fitting.

If anyone has any idea of what website/journal I could use, please let me know!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jess_5
I am an undergraduate university student, and have recently got my research paper back (a review paper) and my academic tutor told me it is of a publishable standard. I am now looking to publish it, but I am lost as to where?

I have spent hours trawling through websites, many of them cost hundreds to go through publication, and I cannot seem to find any that are fitting.

You can't (in academic circles) force/create the publication of a document. You have to find a journal or similar that will accept your article for publication. Often, it takes a lot of reformatting and editing an essay to get it to fit into a journal's very strict requirements. So there is a gulf between saying something is 'publishable' and getting it published.

Look at some journals in your subject and find where they give details of making submissions. You will have to adapt your essay to their requirements, before they will even consider it, and even then it's in competition with other papers.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
You can't (in academic circles) force/create the publication of a document. You have to find a journal or similar that will accept your article for publication. Often, it takes a lot of reformatting and editing an essay to get it to fit into a journal's very strict requirements. So there is a gulf between saying something is 'publishable' and getting it published.

Look at some journals in your subject and find where they give details of making submissions. You will have to adapt your essay to their requirements, before they will even consider it, and even then it's in competition with other papers.

Thankyou for your fast response. Do you have any suggestions for any good journals I could try?
Speak to the lecturer who said it was publishable. They'll know what the different journals in your field are like, and how your paper might need to be adapted for them.
Original post by Jess_5
Thankyou for your fast response. Do you have any suggestions for any good journals I could try?

No. You haven't said what subject you are studying, and anyway, you ought to know what they key journals in your subject are.
Reply 5
I am fully aware of the key journals in my subject, thankyou. I was simply having trouble trying to find something fitting, that wouldn't cost me hundreds of pounds.
Reply 6
Original post by Desideri
Speak to the lecturer who said it was publishable. They'll know what the different journals in your field are like, and how your paper might need to be adapted for them.

I had a meeting with my professor about it, and he said he would get back to me, but never did! I think I will send him a follow up email! Thankyou
Original post by Jess_5
I am fully aware of the key journals in my subject, thankyou. I was simply having trouble trying to find something fitting, that wouldn't cost me hundreds of pounds.

It doesn't cost the author anything to publish in an academic journal.
Reply 8

From my research, it can cost up to £300 depending on where you are trying to get it published to cover the cost of the peer review process.

It does, but usually this cost is automatically covered by the university's subscription or UKRI funding. I'm unsure whether OP would be covered as an undergrad.

Original post by Jess_5
From my research, it can cost up to £300 depending on where you are trying to get it published to cover the cost of the peer review process.

It can cost a lot more than £300, one of my recent ones was 2000CHF (~£1600, although this was covered by the university via UKRI). Thinking it goes towards the cost of the peer review process is rather optimistic, reviewers and usually journal editors don't get paid, it's basically a scam.
Original post by Jess_5
I had a meeting with my professor about it, and he said he would get back to me, but never did! I think I will send him a follow up email! Thankyou

You might want to ask your professor for specific advice about which journals to approach for publishing reviews, as (depending on your field) review articles can be harder to get published, and are sometimes only accepted from experienced academics in a specific field. Some journals may take umbrage with a review submitted by an undergraduate.
Original post by Jess_5

Hi @Jess_5,

As others have said here there can be quite a gulf between 'publishable' and 'published'. Whilst it isn't entirely unknown to publish at undergraduate or masters level, it is very unusual in the majority of fields.

When I was keen to publish during my MA year (similar to you, a tutor had told me the piece was of publishable quality), my supervisor encouraged me to hold off and wait until I had a) polished my style a little more and b) was writing at a level and quality suitable to get publication in a respectable and renowned peer-reviewed journal in my field. The initial tutor agreed and helped me to identify the areas I would need to develop to get the work from 'publishable' to 'published'.

That seemed harsh at the time but, now that I am in my second year of PhD (and working on getting that journal article published - so far it's been through at least 3 rounds of edits based on feedback and has substantially changed from the initial essay), I can see the wisdom in the advice. I am very proud of the writing I did during my MA - and the original tutor was right to say there were publishable elements to the piece - but I'm not sure I would want that work as it stood then to be my first entry into academic publishing given how much I have developed both my writing and my ideas since then.

This isn't to say don't go for it - but do proceed with caution and seek the advice of your tutor. There are a lot of disreputable journals out there that seek to take advantage of the desire to publish (and will rapidly take your money and then provide minimal exposure and editing). Plus even publishing with a reputable journal can be quite a minefield in terms of the legal wording of contracts, access rights etc. It helps to have someone who knows the score to guide you.

I'd also recommend considering any in-house journals that your university might have - a lot of universities have peer-reviewed journals for publishing postgraduate work. Whilst often not deemed as 'prestigious' as other journals, they can provide a really good introduction to the peer-review and publication process without some of the more cutthroat elements that come with submitting for publication to larger journals. Plus they tend to be circulated widely within the postgraduate and staff communities of your university (and often beyond that). Being published in an in-house journal at undergraduate level is still a major achievement too, and would stand you in good stead for any postgraduate applications.

Hope that helps!

Amy Louise :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Keele Postgraduate
Hi @Jess_5,

As others have said here there can be quite a gulf between 'publishable' and 'published'. Whilst it isn't entirely unknown to publish at undergraduate or masters level, it is very unusual in the majority of fields.

When I was keen to publish during my MA year (similar to you, a tutor had told me the piece was of publishable quality), my supervisor encouraged me to hold off and wait until I had a) polished my style a little more and b) was writing at a level and quality suitable to get publication in a respectable and renowned peer-reviewed journal in my field. The initial tutor agreed and helped me to identify the areas I would need to develop to get the work from 'publishable' to 'published'.

That seemed harsh at the time but, now that I am in my second year of PhD (and working on getting that journal article published - so far it's been through at least 3 rounds of edits based on feedback and has substantially changed from the initial essay), I can see the wisdom in the advice. I am very proud of the writing I did during my MA - and the original tutor was right to say there were publishable elements to the piece - but I'm not sure I would want that work as it stood then to be my first entry into academic publishing given how much I have developed both my writing and my ideas since then.

This isn't to say don't go for it - but do proceed with caution and seek the advice of your tutor. There are a lot of disreputable journals out there that seek to take advantage of the desire to publish (and will rapidly take your money and then provide minimal exposure and editing). Plus even publishing with a reputable journal can be quite a minefield in terms of the legal wording of contracts, access rights etc. It helps to have someone who knows the score to guide you.

I'd also recommend considering any in-house journals that your university might have - a lot of universities have peer-reviewed journals for publishing postgraduate work. Whilst often not deemed as 'prestigious' as other journals, they can provide a really good introduction to the peer-review and publication process without some of the more cutthroat elements that come with submitting for publication to larger journals. Plus they tend to be circulated widely within the postgraduate and staff communities of your university (and often beyond that). Being published in an in-house journal at undergraduate level is still a major achievement too, and would stand you in good stead for any postgraduate applications.

Hope that helps!

Thankyou so much for your answer. It is a daunting process! I really appreciate your help.
Original post by Jess_5
Thankyou so much for your answer. It is a daunting process! I really appreciate your help.

No problem at all - it is a daunting process and take a bit of demystifying so happy to help! Best of luck with your article and with finding a suitable space to get it published!

Amy :smile:
See if there are any journals specifically for undergrads? I published my work in undergrad psychology peer reviewed journal a few years ago!

Well done as well for doing something with high merit feedback!
Original post by Jess_5

Can't your academic tutor (who must be published themselves) give some pointers?
Original post by Keele Postgraduate
Hi @Jess_5,

Hope that helps!

Very well put.
Original post by Jess_5

My son is trying to get an article published. He has a supervisor who has helped (the person who recommended publication). Other PHD students jumped on to do the maths modelling and more academics started peer reviewing it. There have been a lot of peer reviews and it has been tweaked several times. When he finally thought it could be sent off (and his supervisor suggested the correct journal to go for) he was told that he had to lead a conference with 21 academics, who also suggested changes. To think that he had the original idea at 20, wrote the article at 21 and is now 22, you may well need some patience (I am not sure if this a typical experience, however). I am hoping he will finally be able to send it off to the publishers soon. Having said that, the editor at the journal will probably review it and suggest some changes as well.

If your academic tutor thinks the article should be published, they should be giving you more practical support than this.
Reply 18
No. You haven't said what subject you are studying, and anyway, you ought to know what they key journals in your subject are.

I think that Jess is reading Neuroscience, tpd.
Original post by Kerzen
I think that Jess is reading Neuroscience, tpd.

My son's subject is Neuroscience! He is trying to get published with this journal:

https://www.nature.com/neuro/

Don't know if this info will help

https://www.nature.com/nature/for-authors/editorial-criteria-and-processes

and don't know if it is the same or easier/harder with other journals.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending