The Student Room Group

How do I lose 13kg?

Any tips on diet and exercise?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Download an app that enables you to count calories and check your caloric demand and then try to be on the deficit. :smile: I personally use myfitnespal and fitatu
Original post by Imsosad123
Any tips on diet and exercise?

Firstly, diet is more important than exercise. If you do exercise but diet poorly you won't see much change. I'm not talking about a 'no xxx' diet or anything but like watching the calories and watching the macros and stuff.

I'll link a calorie calculator for you! Put in your weight, height, and age and it'll give you a good amount of daily calories to target towards https://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html?

Also, take progress pictures for your own record, it's hard to keep up with at first but is extremely motivating to look back on later on in your journey!

I would also focus on cardio rather than resistance training (weights), a mix is good but if you're focusing on losing weight you want to do cardio, my favourite is running but walking also counts. Just walk a certain amount of steps every day and build it up to jogging and running!

Also in relation to diet, identify bad junk foods you eat and try to eat them less, it's really difficult to just cut them out completely and stay off it but if you just cut the amount but don't remove it completely, it becomes a lot more manageable :biggrin:

Basically, watch the calories and focus on cardio and remember that the exercise is pointless if the diet and poor!

Good luck and I believe in you, please keep us updated on your journey :biggrin:
(edited 3 years ago)
I don't agree with restrictive diets or black and white ''this food is bad, this is good'' thinking.

Eat less, eat more satiating/filling foods (lean proteins and fiber primarily), move around more either through intensive cardio like hiit, or walking, or even weight lifting, other sports like tennis or football, whatever. Just burn more through activity. Just do it consistently, like every other day for starters and then try to do it 5 times a week or even daily.

Track calories, measurements (more important is waist because it has health implications whereas places like thighs are mostly cosmetic they don't affect your health unless your total body fat is quite high) and check your progress weekly (weight and measurements). Also, how you feel, energetic, happy, etc is quite important.
Reply 4
Remember that it can't be shouldn't be done quickly. A healthy and sustainable weight loss is up to ~1kg a week, and you can have periods when your weight loss plateaus.

How old are you and do you need to lose weight, ie, are you outside your healthy BMI range?
Do weights (or bodyweight exercises or something), even while you're cutting, so that you don't lose muscle mass, and only keep a deficit of around 500 calories between your actual intake and the number of calories you'd have to eat to stay the same weight (maintenance).
Weights are important, while cardio will help you lose weight, actually weight exercises will build muscle mass, which depending on your gender/genetic makeup will give you a more toned/defined look. Also, cardio uses calories only when doing the exercise, but weights will mean that you continue to burn calories even after you have finished. In most peoples opinion, a mix of the two is important.

If you are going to the gym then the first couple of times just try different exercises and try some classes. You will stick to what you enjoy. If you hate the treadmill then 5 minutes isn't going to make the world of difference to your workout, but if your plan is 60minutes a day you will not bother and then won't exercise. Enjoyment and engagement is the most important thing in exercise to get you started. Some of the less enjoyable exercises become bearable when you start to see results and then that motivates you.

Exercise is great but diet is also important. People will tell you all about calorie counting and what you should and shouldn't be eating. Depending on your goal depends what you should be doing here. If you are planning to be a bodybuilder then diet is really important, if you are happy with a decent physique then your planning does not need to be as in depth. If you haven't really done this before then the most important things to know are:
1. you need a calorie deficit but don't make it a massive deficit. Remember that if you are exercising as well you will be increasing the amount of calories that you need in a day.
2. do not beat yourself up over everything. One donut is not going to make a difference, 12 is. If you find yourself really craving a donut then have one, typically when we deprive ourselves of things and are too restrictive then we binge and end up on the 12 donut end of the spectrum. Stick with one.

Most importantly, be realistic. Don't weigh yourself everyday and don't feel down if you are sticking to everything and doing everything right but the scale isn't agreeing. Muscle weighs more than fat so you can be slimmer and heavier. Also, hormones have an effect on weight which makes it fluctuate and how this effects you depends on your gender.
Reply 7
Original post by Surnia
Remember that it can't be shouldn't be done quickly. A healthy and sustainable weight loss is up to ~1kg a week, and you can have periods when your weight loss plateaus.

How old are you and do you need to lose weight, ie, are you outside your healthy BMI range?

I’m 15 and my BMI says ok overweight even though I don’t look it.
Reply 8
Original post by KingOfTheBreasts
Do weights (or bodyweight exercises or something), even while you're cutting, so that you don't lose muscle mass, and only keep a deficit of around 500 calories between your actual intake and the number of calories you'd have to eat to stay the same weight (maintenance).

What if I want to lose muscle mass?

Why would you want to lose muscle mass? At 15 I very much doubt that you have an overly muscular physique which warrants wanting to lose muscle mass. Muscle doesn't just give the bulked look - it gives a more defined and toned look when you are slim.
Reply 10
I’m 15 and my BMI says ok overweight even though I don’t look it.

Ok or overweight? And if the latter, by how much?
Eat in a calorie deficit. Burn more calories exercising. Will take a good few months though
Reply 12

Why would you want to? Muscle mass not only helps you look toned and burn calories more easily, but it also reduces bone degeneration/osteoporosis when you become old.
Original post by Surnia
Ok or overweight? And if the latter, by how much?

Overweight by 2kg or something
Original post by A_J_B
Why would you want to? Muscle mass not only helps you look toned and burn calories more easily, but it also reduces bone degeneration/osteoporosis when you become old.

I didn’t know that, I thought it meant being like the bodybuilders or something. Thank youu
I didn’t know that, I thought it meant being like the bodybuilders or something. Thank youu

do you look like a bodybuilder rn?
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
do you look like a bodybuilder rn?

Nope but apparently muscle makes you weigh more

if you don't look like a bodybuilder rn then you shouldn't purposely try and lose the small amounts of muscle u have. Weight is determined by kcalories btw.
DIETInG DONT WORK!!
Weight loss, like permanent weight loss, is down to changing your lifestyle and ,by means, changing ur diet ( diet I mean what u eat day to day basis:wink: ) don’t cut back drastically or you’ll be starving and might binge. Don’t deprive yourself from treats, have a chocolate bar as a snack every day if you want- u can loose weight but the most important thing CALORIE DEFICIT. Aim for 1500/2000 caps a day ( or 500 below your maintenance)
If you’re not a big exercise fan, just try getting in 10k steps a day ( that’s a weapon for weight loss!). Exercise should be enjoyable so don’t force urself otherwise you won’t stick!
Reply 19

Not true! How does 1kg of muscle weigh more than 1kg of fat?

Quick Reply

Latest