The Student Room Group

A2 physics help

Could you also please help me with this q?
the answer is A
how do you go about these type of question

Two satellites, P and Q, of the same mass, are in circular orbits around the Earth. The radius of
the orbit of Q is three times that of P. Which one of the following statements is correct?
A The kinetic energy of P is greater than that of Q.
B The weight of P is three times that of Q.
C The time period of P is greater than that of Q.
D The speed of P is three times that of Q
Reply 1
Go through each one and calculate if it's true or not. If you know only one is true or only one is false, you can stop once you find it.

In this case, knowing only one is true, you can probably just jump on A being the answer because you know P has to be going faster (and kinetic energy is just dependent on mass and speed). If you didn't know there was only one answer, you could also discount C based on that due to greater speed and shorter orbit definitely being shorter period. You can also discount the other two because the relationship between orbital radius and gravitational force (B) or orbital speed (D) is not linear.
Original post by ThomH97
Go through each one and calculate if it's true or not. If you know only one is true or only one is false, you can stop once you find it.

In this case, knowing only one is true, you can probably just jump on A being the answer because you know P has to be going faster (and kinetic energy is just dependent on mass and speed). If you didn't know there was only one answer, you could also discount C based on that due to greater speed and shorter orbit definitely being shorter period. You can also discount the other two because the relationship between orbital radius and gravitational force (B) or orbital speed (D) is not linear.

I don't understand why not D if p has greater orbital speed because of the smaller orbital radius
Reply 3
Original post by MARTIANAlLIENS
I don't understand why not D if p has greater orbital speed because of the smaller orbital radius

It is indeed faster, but not specifically 3. Do you know a formula relating orbital speed to the radius?
Original post by ThomH97
It is indeed faster, but not specifically 3. Do you know a formula relating orbital speed to the radius?

𝐹 = 𝐺𝑚1𝑚2/𝑟^2 so F in inversely proportional to r^2
if r increases by three times then its (3r)^2 so 9r and therefore speed increases by 9 times
is this correct?
Original post by alice1wonderland
Hi does anyone have jan 2021 physics edexcel ial unit 2 and 3 paper?

sorry no, i dont think its out yet.
sorry no, i dont think its out yet.

okay thank you
Reply 7
𝐹 = 𝐺𝑚1𝑚2/𝑟^2 so F in inversely proportional to r^2
if r increases by three times then its (3r)^2 so 9r and therefore speed increases by 9 times
is this correct?

That reasoning will rule out B (the weight option), and very similar (or stating the relationship between F and v) will rule out D.
Original post by ThomH97
That reasoning will rule out B (the weight option), and very similar (or stating the relationship between F and v) will rule out D.

from what equation is there a relationship between F and V

Quick Reply

Latest