The Student Room Group

a level further maths help!

Really stuck on this complex numbers question during my revision, goes as follows:

z1 = 2+3i
l z1z2 l = 39root2 (l z1z2 l refers to modulus of z1 * z2)
arg(z1z2) = pi/4

b) find z2, giving your answer in the form a+ib where a and b are integers (6 marks)

Any help would be greatly appreciated !
I think the easiest thing here is to find z1z2z_1z_2 in x+iy form, and then from there divide by z1 to find z2.
Original post by danbane
Really stuck on this complex numbers question during my revision, goes as follows:

z1 = 2+3i
arg(z1z2) = pi/4

b) find z2, giving your answer in the form a+ib where a and b are integers (6 marks)

From the info you should begin by finding the modulus and argument of z2.
Original post by danbane

z1 = 2+3i
arg(z1z2) = pi/4

There are a bunch of rules about this that can help, like:
|z1 z2| = |z1| |z2|
Reply 4
Original post by username11235813
There are a bunch of rules about this that can help, like:
|z1 z2| = |z1| |z2|

so i tried this rule and divided 39root2 by lz1l and got 3root26 which should be the modulus of z2 but how could i find the a+ib format of z2 from here?

thanks for the tip btw :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by DFranklin
I think the easiest thing here is to find z1z2z_1z_2 in x+iy form, and then from there divide by z1 to find z2.

do you know how you would go about finding z1z2 in x+iy form?
Original post by danbane
do you know how you would go about finding z1z2 in x+iy form?

You know the modulus and argument of z1z2. In particular, you should be able to *write down* a complex number of argument pi/2. You then just need to scale it to make the modulus match the given modulus for z1z2.
Reply 7
You know the modulus and argument of z1z2. In particular, you should be able to *write down* a complex number of argument pi/2. You then just need to scale it to make the modulus match the given modulus for z1z2.

Ok so found both the modulus and argument of z2, arranged into mod-arg form, inputted the mod-arg form into my calculator and got nice integers. My final answer for a+ib was 15-3i, could you check if I'm correct, thank you in advance!
Reply 8
Original post by danbane
Ok so found both the modulus and argument of z2, arranged into mod-arg form, inputted the mod-arg form into my calculator and got nice integers. My final answer for a+ib was 15-3i, could you check if I'm correct, thank you in advance!

I get 15 - 3i (or 3(5 - i)) as the answer too

Did you write z1z2=reiπ/4z_1z_2 = re^{i\pi/4} where r=z1z2r = |z_1z_2| and then divide by z_1 to find z_2? The square root of 2 cancels out nicely when you do this :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by davros
I get 15 - 3i (or 3(5 - i)) as the answer too

Did you write z1z2=reiπ/4z_1z_2 = re^{i\pi/4} where r=z1z2r = |z_1z_2| and then divide by z_1 to find z_2? The square root of 2 cancels out nicely when you do this :smile:

no, but that certainly sounds like an interesting method. Thanks for checking my answer!
Original post by davros

I'm not sure how much I'm being "an old fuddy duddy", but I'm somewhat despairing at the "convert everything into mod/arg form and let the calculator sort it out" mentality on display by some in this thread...
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 11
I'm not sure how much I'm being "an old fuddy duddy", but I'm somewhat despairing at the "convert everything into mod/arg form and let the calculator sort it out" mentality on display by some in this thread...

In fairness, I was a bit uneasy with this method considering the question is worth 6 marks. Do you think I would be able to achieve the full 6 marks using this?
Reply 12
Original post by danbane
In fairness, I was a bit uneasy with this method considering the question is worth 6 marks. Do you think I would be able to achieve the full 6 marks using this?

I personally am not sure, but the calculation comes out very easily when done ,manually and I also would not expect a calculator to be used for this!

Quick Reply

Latest