The Student Room Group

ID problems! Provisional and Passport

Hey guys, I need some form of ID to prove I'm 18 when I go out. All my friends use their provisional licenses but I don't have one yet as I'm not sure if my eye condition meets the standard eye checks so I never applied. I know you can use your passport, but I don't want to carry that around all the time in case I lose it. I've heard of citizen cards but those get rejected a lot apparently so I don't want to bother with it.

What should I use/do?
Can I get a provisional for ID purposes and never actually use it to drive if I later find out I don't meet the eyesight requirements? Do I have to check if I meet the requirements in order to get one?
Just checked the website. It says:
You must tell DVLA if you’ve got any problem with your eyesight that affects both of your eyes, or the remaining eye if you only have one eye.
Check if you need to tell DVLA about your eyesight problem by searching the A to Z of medical conditions that could affect your driving.
At the start of your practical driving test you have to correctly read a number plate on a parked vehicle.
If you can’t, you’ll fail your driving test and the test won’t continue. DVLA will be told and your licence will be revoked.
(there is more about it on the site i just summarised it)
Looks like you can get a provisional just for ID. :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
A photocopy of your passport could work in theory, but it'll probably get rejected a lot.

I've had my provisional for years and I haven't done my driving test yet, so you can definitely just use it for ID (It's definitely worth getting an eye test anyway; I believe they're free through the NHS and Specsavers does them for cheap!)
Reply 3
Original post by something_orphic
Just checked the website. It says:
You must tell DVLA if you’ve got any problem with your eyesight that affects both of your eyes, or the remaining eye if you only have one eye.
Check if you need to tell DVLA about your eyesight problem by searching the A to Z of medical conditions that could affect your driving.
At the start of your practical driving test you have to correctly read a number plate on a parked vehicle.
If you can’t, you’ll fail your driving test and the test won’t continue. DVLA will be told and your licence will be revoked.
(there is more about it on the site i just summarised it)
Looks like you can get a provisional just for ID. :smile:

Thank you so much for replying! This is very useful.
I checked the list and I do have a condition I need to tell DVLA about. I also don't think I'd be able to read a number plate from 20 meters away accurately unfortunately :frown: I'll get an eye check soon with DVLA to confirm.

But if I don't meet the requirements, can I still get a provisional just for ID?
In the application it asks you if you have any eye conditions, I can't just lie because that would be fraud? Would they give it anyway - I'd just never get an actual license unless I pass?
Reply 4
Original post by hannc21
A photocopy of your passport could work in theory, but it'll probably get rejected a lot.

I've had my provisional for years and I haven't done my driving test yet, so you can definitely just use it for ID (It's definitely worth getting an eye test anyway; I believe they're free through the NHS and Specsavers does them for cheap!)

Yah I had thought a photocopy might not work as well.
I'm planning to book an eye test soon, i guess my main problem is the application process for the provisional. I don't want to lie in it, but I also fear they won't accept and give me a provisional due to my eye sight
If your eyesight is correctable with glasses etc then you can still get a provisional. I think you'd get denied if you weren't medically fit to drive in any other way (such as non correctable eyesight etc).

Lots of people get provisionals just for id purposes and never learn to drive.
Original post by ksdot
Thank you so much for replying! This is very useful.
I checked the list and I do have a condition I need to tell DVLA about. I also don't think I'd be able to read a number plate from 20 meters away accurately unfortunately :frown: I'll get an eye check soon with DVLA to confirm.

But if I don't meet the requirements, can I still get a provisional just for ID?
In the application it asks you if you have any eye conditions, I can't just lie because that would be fraud? Would they give it anyway - I'd just never get an actual license unless I pass?

If you do not meet the minimum eyesight requirements for driving, unfortunately, your licence will be revoked, and the examiner will ask you to sign a form declaring that you were unable to meet the minimum eyesight requirement and the DVLA will be notified. You will then need to reapply for your provisional driving licence.

At the start of your practical driving test you have to correctly read a number plate on a parked vehicle. If you can't, you'll fail your driving test and the test won't continue. DVLA will be told and your licence will be revoked.

This is what I have found off of the internet. I think (dont quote me on this) you just get given the provisional. Just don't use it for driving as you will get it revoked is what I think they are trying to say. Its worth a shot anyway.

And yes if you did lie, it would be fraud and you get fined for it.
Reply 7
Okay great thank you!!
Would you recommend getting an eye test with DVLA first or just applying for the provisional anyway and seeing what happens?
I don't intend to learn how to drive for a good few years. I just need ID!!
Original post by ksdot
Okay great thank you!!
Would you recommend getting an eye test with DVLA first or just applying for the provisional anyway and seeing what happens?
I don't intend to learn how to drive for a good few years. I just need ID!!

I am not quite sure how it works but I think I would take a look at the application online and see what happens when you declare that you have an eye condition.
Reply 9
Original post by something_orphic
I am not quite sure how it works but I think I would take a look at the application online and see what happens when you declare that you have an eye condition.

Okay, will do. Thank you so much for all your help!!
Reply 10
With the lack of a national ID card I consider it a necessary evil for people in your position to.... tell a mistruth.... to obtain a provisional licence as long as you have absolutely no inclination to drive using it.

Should circumstances change and you want to start driving, I'd expect you to declare it.
Reply 11
Original post by IWMTom
With the lack of a national ID card I consider it a necessary evil for people in your position to.... tell a mistruth.... to obtain a provisional licence as long as you have absolutely no inclination to drive using it.

Should circumstances change and you want to start driving, I'd expect you to declare it.

I agree! It's absolutely horrible and lowkey inconsiderate that the only two properly accepted forms of ID are passports and provisional licenses.
Definitely hard when getting a provisional isn't an option. Hopefully I'll be able to get it tho!!
The government really needs another form of official ID for people to use.
Reply 12
Original post by ksdot
I agree! It's absolutely horrible and lowkey inconsiderate that the only two properly accepted forms of ID are passports and provisional licenses.
Definitely hard when getting a provisional isn't an option. Hopefully I'll be able to get it tho!!

We tried to introduce one, then the Tory/LibDem coalition government decided to scrap it.
Original post by ksdot

Ikr. It feels silly you can't just get something that is just for ID purposes. I can't believe I had to pay £34 or something for a provisional, when I have no means of driving anytime soon

Quick Reply

Latest