The Student Room Group

I killed a rat and I feel horrible

My cat found a rat in our garden. At first I let her chase it because I'm not the biggest fan of rats especially in our garden, and I didn't think she would get it.
Then I felt really bad and went to get her away from it. She picked it up in her mouth and I made her drop it and tried to pick it up to put it somewhere where she couldn't find it.
It bit my finger and hung on, I panicked and flicked it off. It landed on a plank of wood and I think it broke its leg and hurt its head which was bleeding. I tried to help it but it bit again (this time I panicked a little less), and I for some reason dropped it gently over the fence so my cat was less likely to get it.
I feel so awful, it looked like it was dying but I couldn't face putting it out of its misery, I know I didn't handle it well so don't criticise me for that please.
Any advice on how to feel less terrible

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So now its going to suffer in pain until it dies rather than your cat quickly killing it. You should've let nature do what it does.
It’s just a rat tbh
Reply 3
Maybe killing it wasn't the right thing to do. Instead, you should have lured it outside. Although I kill spiders and flies, so I am in no position to judge.
It's done. You can't do anything about it, so stop thinking about it. It is what it is.
Don't worry.
its just a rat relax ur self they are nasty things anyway
My cat once caught one and I dispatched it the way my grandpa used to.

Toss it into a plastic bag, wrap the bag around a few times, and then get a chair. Jump from the top of the chair while wearing some heavy boots, and hope that your aim is true and you give it a quick death.

He did it quite a few times and I've done it a few times now, too... honestly the only way I know to kill 'em once your cat catches them.
Original post by mandyelicup
My cat found a rat in our garden. At first I let her chase it because I'm not the biggest fan of rats especially in our garden, and I didn't think she would get it.
Then I felt really bad and went to get her away from it. She picked it up in her mouth and I made her drop it and tried to pick it up to put it somewhere where she couldn't find it.
It bit my finger and hung on, I panicked and flicked it off. It landed on a plank of wood and I think it broke its leg and hurt its head which was bleeding. I tried to help it but it bit again (this time I panicked a little less), and I for some reason dropped it gently over the fence so my cat was less likely to get it.
I feel so awful, it looked like it was dying but I couldn't face putting it out of its misery, I know I didn't handle it well so don't criticise me for that please.

This isn’t really related but you may want to check your finger out. Especially as rats carry some germs/ diseases so just check your finger 🙂
Original post by Anonymous
This isn’t really related but you may want to check your finger out. Especially as rats carry some germs/ diseases so just check your finger 🙂

Ok thanks
Original post by Qxi.xli
It's done. You can't do anything about it, so stop thinking about it. It is what it is.
Don't worry.

Thanks, just feel really bad
Thanks, just feel really bad

No worries. It happens.
Original post by Callicious

Toss it into a plastic bag, wrap the bag around a few times, and then get a chair. Jump from the top of the chair while wearing some heavy boots, and hope that your aim is true and you give it a quick death.

He did it quite a few times and I've done it a few times now, too... honestly the only way I know to kill 'em once your cat catches them.

Erm...I....what....🤢
Worry about your finger, not the bloody rat.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/animal-and-human-bites/
This smells like rat crap.
My dad killed a rat once that got into our lounge and hid behind the cupboard. He sat in the lounge in his armchair with a knife in his hand with the dimmer switch light low for like 45 minutes waiting for it to poke its head out.

Literally the second it did, my dad fling the knife at the rat with such precision and killed it instantly pinning it to the skirting.

I have never seen anything like it in my entire life. It was surreal like out of a film or something.

:o:o
Original post by Qxi.xli
:o:o

Wish I could unsee it. 😭
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Serene Dreams
Wish I could unsee it. 😭

Same lmao
Reply 18

You cant just let the cat finish their fun..? :redface:
Reply 19

you need to go get a tetanus/rabies shot ASAP

those things carry terrible diseases. what the hell were you doing picking up a live rat?

you should have let your cat take care of it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending