The Student Room Group

Irish student applying for student finance for 2021

Hi, I’m an Irish national who is planning to apply for student finance. I was born Northern Ireland and I lived there for four years before moving to the Republic of Ireland where I have lived since. What am I eligible to apply for? Thanks!
Original post by aduffy028
Hi, I’m an Irish national who is planning to apply for student finance. I was born Northern Ireland and I lived there for four years before moving to the Republic of Ireland where I have lived since. What am I eligible to apply for? Thanks!

Hi there, where will you be residing when you start studying? What university/course are you looking at.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi there, where will you be residing when you start studying? What university/course are you looking at.
Thanks, Isaac

Hiya, I will be living in England and I will be studying Veterinary Medicine at the University of Surrey.
Hiya, I will be living in England and I will be studying Veterinary Medicine at the University of Surrey.

Our criteria for UK Nationals states:

UK Nationals must meet the below residency requirements as standard for Higher Education funding;

-Ordinarily resident in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man for the 3 years immediately before the 1st day of the 1st academic year of their course for reasons other than full-time education
-Ordinarily resident in England on the 1st day of the 1st academic year of their course.
-Settled under the terms of Immigration Act 1971 (and not subject to any restrictions on the period for which they may stay)

A UK National does have the right to reside in the EU/EEA and return to receive funding so as you resided in the ROI you should still be eligible to apply for full home student funding as a UK National.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
Our criteria for UK Nationals states:

UK Nationals must meet the below residency requirements as standard for Higher Education funding;

-Ordinarily resident in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man for the 3 years immediately before the 1st day of the 1st academic year of their course for reasons other than full-time education
-Ordinarily resident in England on the 1st day of the 1st academic year of their course.
-Settled under the terms of Immigration Act 1971 (and not subject to any restrictions on the period for which they may stay)

A UK National does have the right to reside in the EU/EEA and return to receive funding so as you resided in the ROI you should still be eligible to apply for full home student funding as a UK National.
Thanks, Isaac

Thanks Isaac. Do I just need to fill out the EU21N form for my student finance?
Thanks Isaac. Do I just need to fill out the EU21N form for my student finance?

As a UK National you can apply for home student funding so you can apply online or by completing the PN1 form http://ow.ly/d/8pbk - you can enter your UK passport details when you apply.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 6
As a UK National you can apply for home student funding so you can apply online or by completing the PN1 form http://ow.ly/d/8pbk - you can enter your UK passport details when you apply.
Thanks, Isaac

Thanks a million Isaac. So I can apply for a tuition fee loan and a maintenance loan even though I have lived in the ROI for the past 14 years?
Thanks a million Isaac. So I can apply for a tuition fee loan and a maintenance loan even though I have lived in the ROI for the past 14 years?

Yes as you stated you were living and settled in the UK previously before that. UK Nationals do have the right to roam within the EU/EEA and return back to the UK to receive funding.
Therefore based on the information you provided, I expect you to be eligible for home student funding.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 8
Yes as you stated you were living and settled in the UK previously before that. UK Nationals do have the right to roam within the EU/EEA and return back to the UK to receive funding.
Therefore based on the information you provided, I expect you to be eligible for home student funding.
Thanks, Isaac

Thank you!
Thank you!

You're welcome. I hope you have a great evening and good luck with your future studies :smile: I advise you to apply ASAP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending