The Student Room Group

Do you think crying is a sign of weakness or strength?

Reply 1
Crying is a healthy way of letting out bad feelings. Not everyone is capable of letting out emotions in healthy ways that work for them, I see it as a strength.
It depends on the reason why and how frequently.
Original post by ReganMarca3

Crying is a sign of strength.

I don't ever cry and its because im weak and embarrassed of what people may think of me as am humiliated.

Wouldn’t say it’s a strength but it can be a very effective coping mechanism to help people move on so I would say crying is positive
as long as it’s not excessive (crying everyday IMO would be weak)
Crying cannot be considered a strength, but cannot really be considered as a weakness either.
Really depends.
The line has to be drawn somewhere between being a cold-hearted psychopath and a snowflake who cries over blades of grass being crushed.

I wouldn't judge someone for crying or think them less than someone who didn't cry much (such as myself) and I, equally, wouldn't think of someone who didn't cry much as stronger.
Depends on why the person is crying I suppose.
It isn't inherently either.
I always cry when i get angry and its soo annoying because I cant say what im tryna say or finish my argument:cry2:
depending on the circumstances, sign of smarts above all

crying is really good for you, it's important to get all that stuff out once in a while
Reply 10

really depends on the context really.

Like if a grown man fell over scraping his knee and started crying I would view him as weak.

but If a grown man broke down in tears giving a speech at his father's funeral I would not view him as weak
Original post by ANM775
really depends on the context really.

Like if a grown man fell over scraping his knee and started crying I would view him as weak.

but If a grown man broke down in tears giving a speech at his father's funeral I would not view him as weak

Spot on
Reply 12
I really can't see how it could be considered a 'strength'. Not necessarily bad, but 'strength' - no.

Excessive crying or crying when you really need to be doing something else could easily be a weakness though.

Quick Reply