The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - Work Experience and Voluntary Work [Part 2 of 2]

Welcome to the Work Experience and Voluntary Work MEGATHREAD
Please read this before posting:

Due to COVID, it is expected that old routes to work experience may still be disrupted. There are two free online work experience opportunities that all applicants must do if they can:

1. Hosted by Brighton Sussex Medical School: https://bsmsoutreach.thinkific.com/courses/VWE

2. Hosted by the Royal College of General Practitioners: https://www.rcgp.org.uk/training-exa...bserve-gp.aspx

The below (in the spoiler) was ripped from @Helenia 's excellent post which was the OP of part 1 of this thread linked here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=568666

Understandably, lots of applicants are going to have lots of questions about work experience, because it is an important part of a medicine application. However, there currently seem to be a rather large number of these threads all asking similar questions, and we old farts actually at medical school are getting kind of tired of answering the same questions over and over. So, from now, all work exp questions need to be posted here or threads will be locked and you won't get the help you want!

Firstly, please READ the excellent and extensive section on Work Experience in the wiki. This gives you the basics of how to apply, where to try, and alternatives for if medical work experience isn't too forthcoming.

Secondly, there is no such thing as "enough" work experience. There is no set amount that will guarantee you a place or even an interview - although you do need to have done something. Medical schools understand that some people have better connections than others - if your parents are doctors, you're far more likely to be able to get to see lots of cool stuff - and that different areas have varying levels of availability of shadowing schemes etc - somewhere urban is going to have lots more hospitals and opportunities than somewhere rural. The key thing is not the amount, but what you learn from it. Even if it's only pushing the tea trolley round a hospice, try and reflect on your experiences - talk to patients, talk to relatives, talk to staff (nursing, medical and others!) Use whatever you have to gain an understanding both of what Medicine really involves, and of what patients experience when they are ill - and I mean emotionally as well as physically. Even in non-medical placements like youth group work, use this to build your communication skills and empathy. Even paid employment like bar work, waitressing, reception work etc can create skills important for Medicine. Also, remember that a long-term placement which you regularly commit to is just as important, if not more, than seeing lots of different specialties on a whistle-stop tour. Watching heart surgery may be cool, but you won't actually be doing that for at least another 10 years - try to find out what the juniors actually do.

Thirdly, try to start early, but don't panic if you start late. It's perfectly ok to put down in your PS that you plan to do X placement and hope to gain Y from it - then you can talk more in interview if needed.

Finally, I think it would be nice to have a central list of what all the current medics did as work experience, just so you can have some idea of the vast range of things it's possible to do, and the range of amounts different people completed.

Helenia (applied 2001 for 2003 entry): 2 weeks in GP practice, mainly reception work but sat in on a few clinics. 1 week shadowing SHOs in A&E - this took a LONG time to sort out and the hospital I ended up at was my 5th choice, an hour's drive from home - and I couldn't drive - I love my parents! 3 years as a Young Leader with Brownies. A few weeks volunteering in local nursery school in my school holidays.

If you still have anything to ask, please post it here!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 8 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
Original post by becausethenight
Not long now until that of course :biggrin:

Someone has to :rofl: Quick, talk about work experience :tongue:

Well, the issue is that there is so little to say this year!!
Part 2 let's go :woohoo:
Hi all, i guess ill be the first 2022 entry applicant to post here :biggrin:
Do you think that being a volunteer vaccinator with st johns ambulance counts towards the Warwick work experience requirements? I mean, its not exactly hands on care but it definitely involves working with patients. I've done all the online ones so that makes up for 20 hours.
Reply 5
Guys, I have an opportunity to shadow an internal medicine consultant for a week from tomorrow. Do you know if med schools require some kind of proof or log of hours of shadowing? Should I ask for some kind of record?
Original post by Ami_Ami
Guys, I have an opportunity to shadow an internal medicine consultant for a week from tomorrow. Do you know if med schools require some kind of proof or log of hours of shadowing? Should I ask for some kind of record?

none of the medical schools I applied to asked for proof, as long as you're able to reflect on what you have learnt, but I know Warwick (not sure of any others) asks for 70 hours so if I were you, there would be no harm in asking the doctor you're shadowing to write a reference showing that you've done some work experience just in case you do need it :smile:.
may be able to help you further.
Reply 7
Wow, end of an era! And yes, to answer @becausethenight, I was still a student, and a TSR Supermod :tsr: when I made that - I graduated in 2009. My college tutor helpfully told me last week "Don't worry, you're not the lowest GMC number (i.e. earliest qualified) on my list of trainees, some people have been going longer than you!" Thanks. :rolleyes:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Helenia
Wow, end of an era! And yes, to answer @becausethenight, I was still a student, and a TSR Supermod :tsr: when I made that - I graduated in 2009. My college tutor helpfully told me last week "Don't worry, you're not the lowest GMC number (i.e. earliest qualified) on my list of trainees, some people have been going longer than you!" Thanks. :rolleyes:

And you're still here :adore:
Reply 9
Mine starts with a 7 too! So I can be down with the kids as well. With my side parting and M&S jeggings...
Reply 10
Thanks for your replies!
It's not in the UK, I went to Poland to stay with my family for a few weeks as my college is fully online now. I spoke with the head physician in the hospital nearby, he was really enthusiastic. It's not common in Poland to do pre-med shadowing and he seemed really excited by the idea 😁
I'm coming back at the end of March and starting my vaccination steward volunteering and RVC patient support role too, can't wait!

What do you guys think about work experience aboard?
Reply 11
Original post by Helenia
Mine starts with a 7 too! So I can be down with the kids as well. With my side parting and M&S jeggings...

Spring Chickens and Whippersnappers! (should I get back to the TSR Old People's Home?) :shakecane:
How do you reflect a medicine Virtual Work Experience?
Reply 13
Hi,
I am looking for medicine summer coarses/jobs that will benefit my future aplication. Any recommendations?
Original post by justhelpm789
hi! does anyone have any links to work experience that i can do in the UK around sciences? particularly around medicine, paediatrics, psychology, chemistry and biology? if so, please send them through to me! thank you so much :’)

Here's a psychology one :smile: : (Applications aren't open yet I think but they should be soon!)
https://www.springpod.co.uk/psychology-work-experience/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=mixpanel&utm_campaign=studentnewsletter_04_02_21
Reply 15
Damn, that's wrecked my summer plans, then! :lol:
Hey guys since I am <18 yrs old, i am finding it difficult to find volunteering online, can anyone help me pls? I want to do medicine in the future but I don't have much volunteering and I am worried
Reply 17
Original post by DreamingofMedic
Hey guys since I am <18 yrs old, i am finding it difficult to find volunteering online, can anyone help me pls? I want to do medicine in the future but I don't have much volunteering and I am worried

Not volunteering but work experience. Google Springpod work experience, and they have loads of free, two week work experience placements you can apply for. Also, see if any primary school kids/ parents in your local area would like help w school work, I do it over zoom! Good luck!
Original post by DreamingofMedic

might be able to help.
Original post by erinpipermit
Not volunteering but work experience. Google Springpod work experience, and they have loads of free, two week work experience placements you can apply for. Also, see if any primary school kids/ parents in your local area would like help w school work, I do it over zoom! Good luck!

oh thank you :smile: I am currently doing the Spirngpod work experience and it's very good. Ooohh how did you ask your local area? Did you send posters around?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending