The Student Room Group

Access to HE (Engineering)

Anyone who’s studying or has studied access to HE could help me with unit 4 please
This is what I am on now although I just get an error message when I try to open the assignment. I am waiting for the support team to email me back. From what I can gather you need to do a timetable over 10 days very detailes from the moment you wake up to the time you go to bed including usual daily activities, but also planning your time for studying, first draft, reviewing etc. You need to set it out as if you are already on unit 5 so you need to see what the next assignment is and plan around that
Reply 2
Original post by Jgrim88
This is what I am on now although I just get an error message when I try to open the assignment. I am waiting for the support team to email me back. From what I can gather you need to do a timetable over 10 days very detailes from the moment you wake up to the time you go to bed including usual daily activities, but also planning your time for studying, first draft, reviewing etc. You need to set it out as if you are already on unit 5 so you need to see what the next assignment is and plan around that

I did a timetable, but assessor told me I need to write a format for academic writing; I am struggling on this point, do you any idea about it ?
Original post by Ola jneid
I did a timetable, but assessor told me I need to write a format for academic writing; I am struggling on this point, do you any idea about it ?

Not yet until I get into the assessment and look properly at it again. When i did a read through of it briefly though my stomach did drop, beyond what i have said i dont have a clue. Hopefully someone will jump on your thread and help us both

It means the writing style needs to be formal and less like a diary.
If you look at a random academic journal article on Google Scholar, you will notice the style of writing is usually third person, use specific terminology, use critical thinking, in depth analysis, mentions limitations, uses full references (most likely in Harvard style), etc.
One of your unit should have already covered academic writing. Have you looked through it?
Reply 5
Original post by MindMax2000
It means the writing style needs to be formal and less like a diary.
If you look at a random academic journal article on Google Scholar, you will notice the style of writing is usually third person, use specific terminology, use critical thinking, in depth analysis, mentions limitations, uses full references (most likely in Harvard style), etc.
One of your unit should have already covered academic writing. Have you looked through it?

Oh yeah, but the point is he asked me to write format report for unit 5 question. Unit 5 question has only one question requires to download a worksheet; questions on worksheet are about solving equations and some mathematical calculations. So how can I write report for that
(edited 3 years ago)
Oh yeah, but the point is he asked me to write format report for unit 5 question. Unit 5 question has only one question requires to download a worksheet; questions on worksheet are about solving equations and some mathematical calculations. So how can I write report for that

I'm a bit lost on what the task is then. If you post the question, I can probably give you a few pointers and some guidance.
Reply 7
Original post by MindMax2000
I'm a bit lost on what the task is then. If you post the question, I can probably give you a few pointers and some guidance.

Using the timetable approach to assignment planning, you should firstly list all of the stages that you are going to need to complete for your unit 5 assignment, from reading the assignment brief to producing a first draft, through to producing your final draft and submitting it for marking.

You must review the unit 5 assignment brief and the relevant assessment criteria before producing your assignment plan. Your assignment plan must then include the structure of the unit 5 assignment (series of questions), including any word count(s) outlined in the assignment brief.

You then need to allocate each of the stages a suitable time frame for completion. The submission date for your report is 10 days from today and the start date is today. Ensure that you use actual dates within your assignment plan and not ‘week 1’, ‘week 2’ etc.

Once you have done this, you should enter all of your stages and their allocated time frame for completion into a timetable or chart. Refer to the timetable provided in the Assessor Guidance for this assignment.

You can then review your timetable to ensure that your time scales are realistic and that you are going to be able to submit your assignment by the set deadline.

The timetable approach to assignment planning should include:-
An outline of the content, format, structure and layout, including relevant word counts
Deadline for the production of the first draft
Allocated time for proofreading and amending
Deadline for the production of the final draft
Allocated time for final checking
The submission date

This task aims to support the development of assignment planning skills.

You should refer to your study materials for additional guidance and to check what you should include in an assignment plan. You should pay particular attention to the section that explains ‘the timetable approach to assignment planning’.

Use MS word or Excel (or similar) to produce your assignment plan. You must then upload this document to Pearl. DO NOT copy and paste your assignment plan into the text box for this question.
Using the timetable approach to assignment planning, you should firstly list all of the stages that you are going to need to complete for your unit 5 assignment, from reading the assignment brief to producing a first draft, through to producing your final draft and submitting it for marking.

You must review the unit 5 assignment brief and the relevant assessment criteria before producing your assignment plan. Your assignment plan must then include the structure of the unit 5 assignment (series of questions), including any word count(s) outlined in the assignment brief.

You then need to allocate each of the stages a suitable time frame for completion. The submission date for your report is 10 days from today and the start date is today. Ensure that you use actual dates within your assignment plan and not ‘week 1’, ‘week 2’ etc.

Once you have done this, you should enter all of your stages and their allocated time frame for completion into a timetable or chart. Refer to the timetable provided in the Assessor Guidance for this assignment.

You can then review your timetable to ensure that your time scales are realistic and that you are going to be able to submit your assignment by the set deadline.

The timetable approach to assignment planning should include:-
An outline of the content, format, structure and layout, including relevant word counts
The submission date

This task aims to support the development of assignment planning skills.

You should refer to your study materials for additional guidance and to check what you should include in an assignment plan. You should pay particular attention to the section that explains ‘the timetable approach to assignment planning’.

Use MS word or Excel (or similar) to produce your assignment plan. You must then upload this document to Pearl. DO NOT copy and paste your assignment plan into the text box for this question.

I see then. The task will require you to plan out how you would approach Unit 5's question.
The use of Unit 5 is essentially an example you use to demonstrate the skills you have to approach the task (a time wasting exercise, but it's requested for evidence by the examining board). It's mostly about documenting evidence and showing the invigilator that you know what you're doing. It really didn't matter what unit they chose, but Unit 5 seem to have been convenient for them.

The focus here was less to do with what Unit 5 was about, and more about putting together an appropriate timetable.

The key things they ask for are:
An outline of the content, format, structure and layout (word count is not relevant here)
The submission date

Depending on how you want to format your report, you can have it with the following headings:
1.0 Introduction/Outline of Unit 5's task
2.0 Timetable
2.1 First draft
2.2 Proofreading
2.3 Final draft and checking
2.4 Submission
3.0 Constraints
4.0 Contingencies/Back up plans
5.0 Conclusion
You might want to look up how to use Word's headings format and how to insert a Contents page. Learning about page breaks can also come in handy.

I'd mention when I would download the task, when to look through it, what sort of research I'd expect to do, and how I would tackle the questions on the assignment, and what sort of reflections on the task I had (if applicable).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending