The Student Room Group

how often should you wash your hair??

after 1/2 days, my hair starts to go greasy and a bit flaky.
some people say they wash their hair every day whereas some people wash it every week - i thought it was bad to wash your hair every day??
doesn't it damage your hair?
Original post by Anonymous
some people say they wash their hair every day whereas some people wash it every week - i thought it was bad to wash your hair every day??

for the average person every 2 to 3 days without washing is generally fine. If hair is visibly oily, scalp is itching, or there's flaking due to dirt those are signs it's time to shampoo :yep:
u could shower a day and then the third day you could bath and wash your hair maybe?

or use hair oil on your hair before you bath so that your hair does not go greasy or maybe use conditioner to help it not fizz maybe?
Reply 3
It depends on the person and hair. For most people, 2 or 3 times a week is enough.
If you're washing it every day you're stripping your hair of its natural oils and it's likely making more to compensate for that. Hence why your hair is feeling greasy after only a day. Your hair is meant to have some oils in it for it to be healthy, you should not be washing it every day.
(edited 3 years ago)
Your shampoo could be not right for you. Are you using conditioner?
Reply 5
Your shampoo could be not right for you. Are you using conditioner?

Original post by user6842344
u could shower a day and then the third day you could bath and wash your hair maybe?

or use hair oil on your hair before you bath so that your hair does not go greasy or maybe use conditioner to help it not fizz maybe?

i havent used conditioner in a long time :/
i used to use this herbal essence shampoo ONLY and a few days ago i switched to head & shoulders 2 in 1 shampoo and conditioner. that doesn't seem to be doing anything.
my scalp isn't itchy at all, but it's getting greasy and really flaky.
yes washing your hair everyday dries it out and it means if you do then miss a wash your hair gets greasier quicker. i wash mine every 2/3 days (although i used to have a shampoo which meant i could go a good 4 days w my hair still looking fine- it was l'oreal rebalancing clay shampoo)
i used to use this herbal essence shampoo ONLY and a few days ago i switched to head & shoulders 2 in 1 shampoo and conditioner. that doesn't seem to be doing anything.

defo use conditioner too it stops it getting greasy so quickly, also sounds like a dry scalp- the body shop ginger shampoo and conditioner are good and v moisturizing. a diy rosewater remedy also helps dry scalp

Get a conditioner mate, that will fix your scalp problems. Make sure to really scrub with the shampoo and really massage the conditioner. I recommend Tresemme Boutanique Shampoo + Conditioner. Don't use 2 in 1. Well you can, but use conditioner too.

Find some after-shower products too like oils and stuff that work for you to remoisturise.

I was my hair every other day
I do wash my hair every day and use a conditioner 3 times a week

2-3 times is fine , depending on what you clean it with
shorter hair would be easier to wash usually

but remember, no hair no need to wash it
this is why elephants never wash

@Foxehh
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Foxehh
It depends on the person and hair. For most people, 2 or 3 times a week is enough.
If you're washing it every day you're stripping your hair of its natural oils and it's likely making more to compensate for that. Hence why your hair is feeling greasy after only a day. Your hair is meant to have some oils in it for it to be healthy, you should not be washing it every day.

I used to wash my hair every morning, and I had extreme hair fall. Some hairfall shampoos/conditioner/oil/tonic do not work on me :frown:
Probably about once every 6-8 weeks. Less time in the shower. Can't be arsed standing there getting wet. Feel like a pillock.
Original post by 4Skin
Probably about once every 6-8 weeks. Less time in the shower. Can't be arsed standing there getting wet. Feel like a pillock.

That's.... gross...
That's.... gross...

Never done me any harm. I'm often complimented on my silky hair.
Original post by 4Skin
Never done me any harm. I'm often complimented on my silky hair.

I love your silky hair by the way (:
I have a bath everyday and wash my hair, don’t understand how people only have a bath or shower every 3 days etc.

Quick Reply

Latest