The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Surrey (guilford) vs Sussex (brighton)

Hey guys, I am an international student considering econ phd in one of above two schools.
Firstly, about school, which one has better reputation, student support and study environment?
Secondly, about living, I know both are good to live with family but significantly expensive next to London. How’s the life in guilford or brighton? Which one is less expensive and more affordable?
I'm originally from Guildford but I studied my undergrad/masters at Sussex and I now live in Brighton!

Surrey has a better reputation than Sussex but I can't speak for its student support and study environment. When I was at Sussex though, I found its student support good when I needed it and the library was also good if thats what you mean by study environment.
Brighton definitely has a better nightlife than Guildford, Guildford's nightlife isn't that great. Brighton is also just an all-round better place to live in my opinion - theres so much nightlife, culture and theres always things happening around the city both day and night.
In terms of which place is more expensive/affordable, they're both pretty expensive places to live.

In my opinion - if you want the Uni reputation go Surrey, if you want the better lifestyle go for Sussex.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Original post by Denvaus
Hey guys, I am an international student considering econ phd in one of above two schools.
Firstly, about school, which one has better reputation, student support and study environment?
Secondly, about living, I know both are good to live with family but significantly expensive next to London. How’s the life in guilford or brighton? Which one is less expensive and more affordable?

Hello, thank you for all your questions!

Unfortunately I have not studied economics at Sussex, but as a current Sussex university student, I would say that the university has definitely met and indeed exceeded my initial expectations.

My subject is Medical Neuroscience, and I am currently in the 4th year of my studies. Academically-speaking, I feel I have developed my academic skills and have built my knowledge of neuroscience, including how the subject is applicable to everyday life. Furthermore, I had a chance to significantly improve my job prospects, not only by working towards a degree qualification, but also by working on campus for a variety of university departments.

Based on my experience, while the university is not perfect, Sussex definitely looks out for their students! As someone who is care-experience and needs a bit more of financial, emotional and career-support, I can vouch for the quality of the support services offered by the university.

Furthermore, student feedback, regarding all their courses & university life is collected and carefully reviewed on regular basis, each term, with measures being implemented to improve teaching practices and student experience.

Generally Brighton is a lovely place to live. Easy access to beach, as well as, plenty of green spaces on and off-campus, mean it is always easy to find a quiet place to relax! Also, as a city, Brighton can be said to be ethnically/ culturally diverse, which is great for boosting cultural awareness and social networking skills! Students from over 100 different countries study at Sussex, and students self-recognising as belonging to BAME (Black, Asian and minority ethnic) cultural background make a significant proportion of overall student population. Moreover, ethnic, cultural, and religious diversity is highly celebrated as Sussex, as is reflected by a high number of culturally-specific societies & events, and specific sources of support for ethnic minority & international students. Overall, this contributes to a very accepting, friendly and welcoming learning environment! :smile:

Let me know if you have any specific questions - I will be more than happy to share my personal experiences, and my thoughts.

Kasia (4th Year Sussex University Student; Medical Neuroscience MSCI with a Year Abroad)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Denvaus

To introduce myself I’m Joao, an Economics student from the University of Surrey on placement at Defra (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs). Studying PhD Economics at Surrey not only will provide you with a theoretical understanding of the subject, but it also allows you to apply this knowledge in a practical setting.

Our economics research is at the forefront of its field. Within the team of our academics, two members of staff currently hold positions as government advisers, so we can ensure that our expertise is up-to-date. All our staff incorporate their research and professional experience into their teaching, and this is especially clear at postgraduate level. All our staff are permanent, which enables them to be fully committed and invested in their modules. The student experience at the School of Economics is vital to the success of our courses and you’ll be encouraged to express yourself and develop to your full potential. We encourage a dialogue between our staff and students, listening to your input and using it to help shape the way our courses are run. Our academic staff teach with a hands-on approach and the School will support you throughout your learning, both during and outside of lectures.

The School of Economics has a leading reputation in research and teaching. In the 2014 Research Excellence Framework, our School was ranked 6th in the UK for research intensity, 10th in research output and 12th overall. We are also ranked in the top 10 for business and economics in the United Kingdom by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020 by subject. Our Economics PhD is seen as the second stage of a four-year programme. The first step is the MRes Economics programme lasting one year, and the PhD follows on from this, lasting three years (with the added possibility of extensions).

During your PhD programme, you’ll learn from dedicated research-active academics with expertise in a wide range of areas, including:

Macroeconomics
Microeconomics
Econometrics
Energy economics
Health economics.

Our PhD students have gone on to academic positions as lecturers and postdoctoral researchers in the UK and overseas, including institutions such as:

University of Cambridge
University of East Anglia
European University Institute
University of Glasgow
London School of Economics.

Our past students have also gone on to take leading positions in international institutions including:

International Monetary Fund
European Central Bank
Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development
Financial Conduct Authority
Bank of Canada
European Investment fund
Leading think tanks and economic consultancy firms.

Finally, the campus is lovely. Surrey is known to put a lot of emphasis on the social life of students and always care about how you spend your free time at university. The student union offers more than 140 societies based on any hobbies and interests’ students have and clubs for all kinds of sport that a student might want to take up. And even with covid restrictions, the union managed to organise one of the biggest covid-safe university events in the country!

Joao
Economics
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Becky2305
I'm originally from Guildford but I studied my undergrad/masters at Sussex and I now live in Brighton!

Surrey has a better reputation than Sussex but I can't speak for its student support and study environment. When I was at Sussex though, I found its student support good when I needed it and the library was also good if thats what you mean by study environment.
Brighton definitely has a better nightlife than Guildford, Guildford's nightlife isn't that great. Brighton is also just an all-round better place to live in my opinion - theres so much nightlife, culture and theres always things happening around the city both day and night.
In terms of which place is more expensive/affordable, they're both pretty expensive places to live.

In my opinion - if you want the Uni reputation go Surrey, if you want the better lifestyle go for Sussex.

Thank you, so much helpful information!
Reply 5
Original post by University of Sussex Official Reps
Hello, thank you for all your questions!

Unfortunately I have not studied economics at Sussex, but as a current Sussex university student, I would say that the university has definitely met and indeed exceeded my initial expectations.

My subject is Medical Neuroscience, and I am currently in the 4th year of my studies. Academically-speaking, I feel I have developed my academic skills and have built my knowledge of neuroscience, including how the subject is applicable to everyday life. Furthermore, I had a chance to significantly improve my job prospects, not only by working towards a degree qualification, but also by working on campus for a variety of university departments.

Based on my experience, while the university is not perfect, Sussex definitely looks out for their students! As someone who is care-experience and needs a bit more of financial, emotional and career-support, I can vouch for the quality of the support services offered by the university.

Furthermore, student feedback, regarding all their courses & university life is collected and carefully reviewed on regular basis, each term, with measures being implemented to improve teaching practices and student experience.

Generally Brighton is a lovely place to live. Easy access to beach, as well as, plenty of green spaces on and off-campus, mean it is always easy to find a quiet place to relax! Also, as a city, Brighton can be said to be ethnically/ culturally diverse, which is great for boosting cultural awareness and social networking skills! Students from over 100 different countries study at Sussex, and students self-recognising as belonging to BAME (Black, Asian and minority ethnic) cultural background make a significant proportion of overall student population. Moreover, ethnic, cultural, and religious diversity is highly celebrated as Sussex, as is reflected by a high number of culturally-specific societies & events, and specific sources of support for ethnic minority & international students. Overall, this contributes to a very accepting, friendly and welcoming learning environment! :smile:

Let me know if you have any specific questions - I will be more than happy to share my personal experiences, and my thoughts.

Kasia (4th Year Sussex University Student; Medical Neuroscience MSCI with a Year Abroad)

Thank you Kasia. Although it is a different major, I can get to fully understand how studying at Sussex looks like due to your kind explanation.
Reply 6
Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep
To introduce myself I’m Joao, an Economics student from the University of Surrey on placement at Defra (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs). Studying PhD Economics at Surrey not only will provide you with a theoretical understanding of the subject, but it also allows you to apply this knowledge in a practical setting.

Our economics research is at the forefront of its field. Within the team of our academics, two members of staff currently hold positions as government advisers, so we can ensure that our expertise is up-to-date. All our staff incorporate their research and professional experience into their teaching, and this is especially clear at postgraduate level. All our staff are permanent, which enables them to be fully committed and invested in their modules. The student experience at the School of Economics is vital to the success of our courses and you’ll be encouraged to express yourself and develop to your full potential. We encourage a dialogue between our staff and students, listening to your input and using it to help shape the way our courses are run. Our academic staff teach with a hands-on approach and the School will support you throughout your learning, both during and outside of lectures.

The School of Economics has a leading reputation in research and teaching. In the 2014 Research Excellence Framework, our School was ranked 6th in the UK for research intensity, 10th in research output and 12th overall. We are also ranked in the top 10 for business and economics in the United Kingdom by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020 by subject. Our Economics PhD is seen as the second stage of a four-year programme. The first step is the MRes Economics programme lasting one year, and the PhD follows on from this, lasting three years (with the added possibility of extensions).

During your PhD programme, you’ll learn from dedicated research-active academics with expertise in a wide range of areas, including:

Macroeconomics
Microeconomics
Econometrics
Energy economics
Health economics.

Our PhD students have gone on to academic positions as lecturers and postdoctoral researchers in the UK and overseas, including institutions such as:

University of Cambridge
University of East Anglia
European University Institute
University of Glasgow
London School of Economics.

Our past students have also gone on to take leading positions in international institutions including:

International Monetary Fund
European Central Bank
Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development
Financial Conduct Authority
Bank of Canada
European Investment fund
Leading think tanks and economic consultancy firms.

Finally, the campus is lovely. Surrey is known to put a lot of emphasis on the social life of students and always care about how you spend your free time at university. The student union offers more than 140 societies based on any hobbies and interests’ students have and clubs for all kinds of sport that a student might want to take up. And even with covid restrictions, the union managed to organise one of the biggest covid-safe university events in the country!

Joao
Economics

Thank you Joao! Your post really hit the point of my question.
I guess you may know things related with economic major in UK very well as you are studying economics at Surrey in UK.
So I want ask you two more questions.
Excepting undergraduate level, only considering PhD, postgraduate level, how good is the department of economics at Surrey assessed nationally or internationally? There might be LSE, UCL, Oxbridge, Warwick at top tier and I heard Nottingham, Edinburgh, Bristol and QMUL are pretty good. I wonder how good Surrey`s postgraduate and research in econ is when comparing those good ones (Nott, Edin ....ect.). Plus, does it have better reputation than Sussex in economics, generally?
Secondly, I heard Surrey is facing financial difficulty. Is it true? If it is true, there would be bad impacts on PhD students?
Original post by Denvaus
Thank you Joao! Your post really hit the point of my question.
I guess you may know things related with economic major in UK very well as you are studying economics at Surrey in UK.
So I want ask you two more questions.
Excepting undergraduate level, only considering PhD, postgraduate level, how good is the department of economics at Surrey assessed nationally or internationally? There might be LSE, UCL, Oxbridge, Warwick at top tier and I heard Nottingham, Edinburgh, Bristol and QMUL are pretty good. I wonder how good Surrey`s postgraduate and research in econ is when comparing those good ones (Nott, Edin ....ect.). Plus, does it have better reputation than Sussex in economics, generally?
Secondly, I heard Surrey is facing financial difficulty. Is it true? If it is true, there would be bad impacts on PhD students?

Hi Denvaus,

Surrey is 8th in the UK for business and economics for example. Our PhD programme produces graduates who are sought-after by leading economics departments, business schools, and research institutions around the world, including institutions such as: Cambridge, LSE, European Central Bank, International Monetary Fund etc. During your PhD, and on successful completion of your teacher training, you will be offered the opportunity to take on a range of teaching activities, fully supported by your academic colleagues. You will be involved in activities such as conducting literature reviews, helping with data analysis and interpretation for current research projects and will play an active role in the research community of the School. These teaching opportunities will further reinforce your personal and academic skills and help to enhance your understanding of your subject area as well as adding significantly to your CV.

Regarding the University financial stability. Honestly, I don't know anything about that, it's the first time I'm hearing it. Also, Surrey just announced 40 fully funded scholarships for PhD:

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/university-of-surrey_we-have-over-40-fully-funded-phd-studentships-activity-6793530596342697984-_Qcd

Joao
Economics
Reply 8
Original post by Becky2305

Surrey rules Sussex sucks ****

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending