The Student Room Group

Such a thing as Too Smart? I'm too smart and it's holding me back

Should I purposely fail to fit in? Even my parents think I'm too smart and I'm not getting jobs or into college because they say I'm over qualified but because I'm young with no work experience I can't apply for more appreciate jobs?

I took GCSE Maths and English in year 10, got 9s in both.
Took remaining eight GCSEs in year 11, got 8s and 9s.

I'm predicted A*A*A*AA in A Levels Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Music, and English Lit.

Dropped Biology and French at AS with A*/A grades.

I haven't applied for uni for 2021 start because I want to do 3 more A Levels instead and apply for 2022 start but 2 of my local college's say they haven't got the staff to teach someone 'so highly academic' ... ?????? I said I don't need any extra teaching or support compared to other students but they still won't accept me.

The 3rd college in my area will accept me but they only do 2 of the 3 A Levels I want to do (I want to do German, History, and Art but they don't do Art so maybe will do Further Maths with them instead?)

(Going to apply for Language at uni, French & German)

I've applied for so many jobs (office assistant, PA, secretary, etc) I am appropriate for but not getting them because I'm too academic and it 'won't challenge me enough' but all the challenging jobs require years of experience, which I don't have. I already did one year in customer faced retail and don't want to do that again. They hire anybody and didn't even look at my grades.

Any advice please? Thank you!!

Scroll to see replies

I believe that is called arrogance.
Reply 2
Original post by Zerforax
I believe that is called arrogance.

How come, please?
Too smart for one's own good, yes...

Your grades do not sound remotely exceptional by TSR standards. Colleges often cater for students doing vocational courses so I wouldn't get too hung up on the fact they said you are "highly academic".
(edited 2 years ago)
If your grades are preventing you from getting jobs, be really vauge about them on your CV. It is true that you have 'five level 2 passes at GCSE including Maths and English.
Don't confuse 'smart' for 'studious'. Plenty of people are very good at studying, yet flounder in the real world.

Indeed, if you are the wunderkind you suggest you are, you should easily be able to self-study for those 3 A-Levels. Though, I'm really not sure what the point is? It seems like you've already got 5 A-Levels, any more would be completely redundant. Unless, of course, you actually enjoy studying for A-Levels, which would be quite sad.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by black tea
Too smart for one's own good, yes...

Your grades do not sound remotely exceptional by TSR standards.

They're not exceptional but are still the reason I'm struggling
Reply 7
Original post by DarthRoar
Don't confuse 'smart' for 'studious'. Plenty of people are very good at studying, yet flounder in the real world.

Indeed, if you are the wunderkind you suggest you are, you should easily be able to self-study for those 3 A-Levels. Though, I'm really not sure what the point is? It seems like you've already got 5 A-Levels, any more would be completely redundant.

Hi, I don't claim to be wondrous lol

I did think about self study but I want to make friends and have the college experience, as I'm at sixth form at the moment and not college.

I just enjoy studying A Levels and don't feel ready for uni yet but want to spend the next year gaining more skills academically than just spending 12 months in full time work before uni.

Also, I need the German A Level to study Language at uni as I dropped French at AS
Reply 8
Original post by Mixedberri3s
If your grades are preventing you from getting jobs, be really vauge about them on your CV. It is true that you have 'five level 2 passes at GCSE including Maths and English.

I didnt think of that!!!! Such a good idea thank you :smile:
Unless, of course, you actually enjoy studying for A-Levels, which would be quite sad.

A-Levels can be pretty enjoyable, but studying more just seems like wanting to be stuck in childhood a little bit longer (the exception being that someone has done the wrong A-Levels for the uno course they want to do, I guess).

Indeed, if you are the wunderkind you suggest you are, you should easily be able to self-study for those 3 A-Levels. Though, I'm really not sure what the point is? It seems like you've already got 5 A-Levels, any more would be completely redundant. Unless, of course, you actually enjoy studying for A-Levels, which would be quite sad.

Why is enjoying A Level content sad? Live and let live please, if I find it interesting then that's me, no need to insult. I might find one of your interests sad and that isn't nice is it wtf
if you think doing more A levels rather than going to University is a good move,then you arent that smart..
Original post by black tea
A-Levels can be pretty enjoyable, but studying more just seems like wanting to be stuck in childhood a little bit longer (the exception being that someone has done the wrong A-Levels for the uno course they want to do, I guess).

I do find that to be a little true :smile: I defo am not ready for uni yet so want to enjoy the more 'young' thing of doing A Levels, and going to college (im at sixth form atm)
Reply 13
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not getting jobs or into college because they say I'm over qualified

That may be what they tell you, but that is not the reason.
Hi, I don't claim to be wondrous lol

I did think about self study but I want to make friends and have the college experience, as I'm at sixth form at the moment and not college.

I just enjoy studying A Levels and don't feel ready for uni yet but want to spend the next year gaining more skills academically than just spending 12 months in full time work before uni.

Also, I need the German A Level to study Language at uni as I dropped French at AS

You'd be better off just doing the German A level and working for the year, you'll get the necessary qualifications, keep up your study skills, and also build skills that employers actually care about through working. You'd also get some money saved up for uni, which is always helpful!
Original post by Reue
That may be what they tell you, but that is not the reason.

Yes it is the main reason
Original post by Interea
You'd be better off just doing the German A level and working for the year, you'll get the necessary qualifications, keep up your study skills, and also build skills that employers actually care about through working. You'd also get some money saved up for uni, which is always helpful!

That's really good advice actually, I will look into that thanks so much :biggrin:
Original post by oppiwall
if you think doing more A levels rather than going to University is a good move,then you arent that smart..

How? Spending an extra year studying and getting the A Levels I need for my course is very smart I think. Some people start uni at 40 or never go at all, so......
Reply 18
Yes it is the main reason

It isnt. You have no examinations beyond GCSEs, no professional qualifications and no work experience. You are over-qualified for 0. I suspect the issue may instead be attitude towards the potential jobs..
Original post by Reue
It isnt. You have no examinations beyond GCSEs, no professional qualifications and no work experience. You are over-qualified for 0. I suspect the issue may instead be attitude towards the potential jobs..

Did you not read my post? I have 12 months of retail experience.

Also I have more qualifications that I didnt mention in my post so don't assume I have zero, very rude of you.

I have grade 8 Piano, grade 6 violin and grade 5 performing arts. I have Level 2 British sign language and 3 certificates in First Aid and also did an online bookkeeping course...... so.... don't speak before you know more. Jealous much

Latest