The Student Room Group

Is it easier to get a 4 in foundation or higher maths?

The only issue with foundation is how many marks I need to get. I want to aim for a 6/B but I have until May/June to learn everything. What shall I do? I'm a private candidate and am getting a tutor to help me. I really just want to pass. And I need to pass this year. Shall I do higher or foundation? If so what's the best way to revise to guarantee a pass? Can someone help me please.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Sania9518
The only issue with foundation is how many marks I need to get. I want to aim for a 6/B but I have until May/June to learn and memorise and I have crap memory. What shall I do? I'm a private candidate. I'm getting a tutor to help me. I really just want to pass. And I need to pass this year. Shall I do higher or foundation? If so what's the best way to revise to guarantee a pass? Can someone help me please.

I need advice......,.
Reply 2
I need advice......,.

Can someone help me? I need advice. Shall I do foundation or higher?
Can someone help me? I need advice. Shall I do foundation or higher?

Screenshot_20210213_170836.jpg

Edexcel 2019, GCSE maths grade boundaries.
You only needed to get a tiny portion of the correct to achive a 4 on the higher paper.
Reply 4
If you want to get a grade 6 in gcse maths, you’ll have to take the higher paper. The highest grade you can get in a foundation paper is 5. In higher, you need less marks to get a grade 5, however the questions are harder. Vice-versa for foundation. If you’re worried about the amount of marks you need, then perhaps you should take higher which requires less marks but you’ll have to revise harder to answer those harder questions
In Higher Maths you need 50% to get a 7. So I believe that it's easier to get a 4 in higher
Reply 6
The only issue with foundation is how many marks I need to get. I want to aim for a 6/B but I have until May/June to learn and memorise and I have crap memory. What shall I do? I'm a private candidate and am getting a tutor to help me. I really just want to pass. And I need to pass this year. Shall I do higher or foundation? If so what's the best way to revise to guarantee a pass? Can someone help me please.

What shall I do? I need advice.
Reply 7
The only issue with foundation is how many marks I need to get. I want to aim for a 6/B but I have until May/June to learn and memorise and I have crap memory. What shall I do? I'm a private candidate and am getting a tutor to help me. I really just want to pass. And I need to pass this year. Shall I do higher or foundation? If so what's the best way to revise to guarantee a pass? Can someone help me please.

I want to study Adult Nursing at uni. I contacted the university I'm interested in and they said you need to meet the GCSE requirements. So you must have at least a C/4 in GCSE maths.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
I want to study Adult Nursing at uni. I emailed the University of Manchester and they said you need to meet the GCSE requirements.

Bump
Reply 9
Can someone help me please?

Go for Foundation - you only need to understand easier questions.

Try these resources. https://www.missbsresources.com/teaching-and-learning/mathspassports

I teach maths and have compared aanswers on the 'overlap' questions - if you only need a 4 this is the safest route
Reply 11

How much of the course do you already know? Your first post seemed to say that you need to learn "everything"?
Reply 12

it depends on what course u wanna do at higher and what requirements they are expecting from you
Reply 13

help you with what?
this guy can help you with all the content you need to learn. he has all playlists on topics of all levels : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCStPzCGyt5tlwdpDXffobxA
hope u find him helpful

Quick Reply