Chemistry Synthesis Alkene Halogenoalkane and Alcohol

Watch
universalcj
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Halogenoalkane + NaoH -> Alcohol ( heat under reflux )
right?

and also
Halogenoalkane + Alcoholic Basic Solution -> Alkene ( heat under reflux )

then can this Alcoholic Basic Solution be NaOH

then what' wrong with this

two exactly same reactants and the same condition
but different product?
qwert7890
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by universalcj)
Halogenoalkane + NaoH -> Alcohol ( heat under reflux )
right?

and also
Halogenoalkane + Alcoholic Basic Solution -> Alkene ( heat under reflux )

then can this Alcoholic Basic Solution be NaOH

then what' wrong with this

two exactly same reactants and the same condition
but different product?
You are missing the key word there - it's supposed to be alcoholic basic solution, not a simple basic solution. This means the base (NaOH) must be dissolved in an alcohol (the most popular solvent being ethanol in these situations).

Do note that not every compound with -OH is an alcohol. For ex. Mg(OH)2 is not classified as an alcohol, and by this logic neither is NaOH an alcohol. An alcohol (as far as I know) is defined by an -OH group attached to an organic compound (i.e. a carbon atom).
universalcj
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by qwert7890)
You are missing the key word there - it's supposed to be alcoholic basic solution, not a simple basic solution. This means the base (NaOH) must be dissolved in an alcohol (the most popular solvent being ethanol in these situations).

Do note that not every compound with -OH is an alcohol. For ex. Mg(OH)2 is not classified as an alcohol, and by this logic neither is NaOH an alcohol. An alcohol (as far as I know) is defined by an -OH group attached to an organic compound (i.e. a carbon atom).
so NaOH dissolved in Alcohol???? is it fine?
BDavies1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
NaOH (dissolved in water)+ haloalkane --> alcohol (nucleophilic subs) (OH- behaves as a nucleophile)
But NaOH (dissolved in H2O) + haloalkane --> alkene + HBr (elimination) (OH- behaves as a base)
Q's always on this always come up eg.
Name:  halo 1.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  28.5 KB
Name:  halo 2.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  36.4 KBName:  halo 3.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  21.2 KB
qwert7890
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by BDavies1)
NaOH (dissolved in water)+ haloalkane --> alcohol (nucleophilic subs) (OH- behaves as a nucleophile)
But NaOH (dissolved in H2O) + haloalkane --> alkene + HBr (elimination) (OH- behaves as a base)
Q's always on this always come up eg.
There's no difference in the two reactions you've described...
the one difference (afaik) is that in the second reaction, the NaOH is dissolved in alcohol (ex. ethanol).
BDavies1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by qwert7890)
There's no difference in the two reactions you've described...
the one difference (afaik) is that in the second reaction, the NaOH is dissolved in alcohol (ex. ethanol).
You get two different products (an alcohol in the first reaction when the OH- behaves as a base) and an alkene in the second (where the OH- behaves as base). Two different reactions.
qwert7890
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by BDavies1)
You get two different products (an alcohol in the first reaction when the OH- behaves as a base) and an alkene in the second (where the OH- behaves as base). Two different reactions.
I meant a difference in the reaction conditions. The second one should be NaOH dissolved in ethanol, not water.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (18)
28.13%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (5)
7.81%
No I am happy with my choice (37)
57.81%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (4)
6.25%

Watched Threads