The Student Room Group

Who do you think should name a baby?

Father or mother or both or other? Opinions?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DiamondDia
Father or mother or both or other? Opinions?

Both should agree on a name
Whoever can think of one 🤷*♀️ I know someone who has two names because their parents both called them by separate names
Both as long as they agree on it
The mother can for my kids lol, not very good at naming things, plus I'm sure she's been thinking about naming kids since being one herself
Both
Original post by V℮rsions
The mother can for my kids lol, not very good at naming things, plus I'm sure she's been thinking about naming kids since being one herself

You're having a kid??
Names should be assigned at birth by a government algorithm.
Original post by Qxi.xli
You're having a kid??

no lol I meant in the future if I ever do
not ready for kids yet
Reply 9
In theory i believe that the mother and father should agree (provided they are together otherwise the primary parent should choose). In practise i have already decided what the future children shall be called and i'll have about nine months to convince the future spouce.
Original post by mnot
Names should be assigned at birth by a government algorithm

If that's the case I wouldn't be an advocate of it, if it decided to name my child Bob.
Both, although in my case i would probably end up choosing a name like chewbacca, being the star wars nerd i am :lol:
Good thing i'm not having kids lol
Original post by mnot
Names should be assigned at birth by a government algorithm.

If the summer taught you anything it is that people don't trust algorithms because they don't pander to special interests. The algorithm would end up calling some Islamic child a really British name like Charles or a pasty faced child from the Highlands Mohammed.
(edited 3 years ago)
Whoever is/are the parent(s).

My parents sorted my name out 4 months before I was born. They settled on 2 names, but couldn't decide on which order. Luckily, my Dad won that battle. I love my middle name, but I'm glad it's not my first name.

In my extended family, there are a fair few people with names that are 'family names' (named after others in the family). My cousin's daughter is named after 2 family members, our Grandmother (child's great-grandmother, who passed away 6 years before her birth) and my Auntie (child's grandmother). I think it's rather sweet. But others may disagree.

I have family members who have given their children names I'm simply not keen on, but it's their choice and I will respect that.
Original post by V℮rsions

Awh that’s so sweet.
In my opinion, the mum. It's the mum who carries the baby for 9 months and goes through the pain and labour etc so the least she deserves is the right to name the baby whichever name she chooses. Of course she should take the dads' choice of name(s) into consideration, but ultimately I think the decision should lie with her.
I already have a name for what I wanna name my daughter if I have one and I’m sure my future boyfriend or gf won’t mind

So both I guess
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21
In theory i believe that the mother and father should agree (provided they are together otherwise the primary parent should choose). In practise i have already decided what the future children shall be called and i'll have about nine months to convince the future spouce.

Who decides who the primary parent is?
My mother agreed to call my sister Claire but when she got to the registry office named her Margaret after her sister.
Original post by Compost
Who decides who the primary parent is?

If they are not together then it's the one who the child lives with.

Quick Reply

Latest