The Student Room Group

Can I bulk and Cut at the same time??

recently i've started cutting on one day and then bulking the next day and keep alternating between the two

will i lose fat and gain muscle??
this is my goal.

I don't mind if i stay the same weight so long as it converts to muscle.
No
If you are fat or a beginner it can work, albeit slowly.
(edited 3 years ago)
I think it's called 'body recomposition', to build muscle while burning fat - however not a clue whether it works, but that's a good Google phrase for you to start researching. :yy:
Reply 4
Original post by V℮rsions
I think it's called 'body recomposition', to build muscle while burning fat - however not a clue whether it works, but that's a good Google phrase for you to start researching. :yy:

ok thanks.
Reply 5
Original post by Nutritionist
No

care to explain why?

in theory it sounds like it should work

edit: I found this article: https://builtwithscience.com/body-recomposition/

so if i cut one day, whilst eating 0.8g protein per lb ....and then the next day I eat a normal amount of protein and do not cut or bulk (basically eat maintenance), and then the next day i cut again with 0.8 protein per lb ....and still be going to the gym throughout all this, will I lose weight and gain muscle then?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by ANM775
care to explain why?

so if i cut one day, whilst eating 0.8g protein per lb ....and then the next day I eat a normal amount of protein and do not cut or bulk (basically eat maintenance), and then the next day i cut again with 0.8 protein per lb ....and still be going to the gym throughout all this, will I lose weight and gain muscle then?

Your physiology isn’t that sensitive. There isn’t some magic reset every 24 hours. It’s better to think in terms of calories over the whole week. If you cut one day and eat at maintenance the next then overall you’re in a deficit. It’s just a regular cut but slower. If you cut one day and bulk the next then overall you’re eating at maintenance. May be able to recomp for a short time if you’re a beginner but even so you may as well just eat at maintenance every day. The alternating is pointless.
Reply 7
Original post by Nutritionist
Your physiology isn’t that sensitive. There isn’t some magic reset every 24 hours. It’s better to think in terms of calories over the whole week. If you cut one day and eat at maintenance the next then overall you’re in a deficit. It’s just a regular cut but slower. If you cut one day and bulk the next then overall you’re eating at maintenance. May be able to recomp for a short time if you’re a beginner but even so you may as well just eat at maintenance every day. The alternating is pointless.

The reason I was alternating is because I really don't like being at a calorie deficit for too long. I am a man who likes his food.
I have also discovered that I would much rather acquire the 500 cal deficit through exercise than acquire it from reducing calories. being able to eat more also allows me to get more protein in without resorting to too much protein shakes as these do not agree with me, i'm already noticing some acne. yesterday i burned 800+ calories at the gym (the majority of it was walking on the treadmill) ... however my feet/legs cannot yet cope with doing that much walking every day. hence my idea to cut one day, and on the day my feet are recovering do a bulk........

but if that isn't going to do well then i think i'm just going to do the slow cut, with cutting one day, eating maintenance the next day ... until my feet/legs adapt and i am able to burn 600 cals+ on the treadmill everyday without my feat/legs hurting.
Original post by ANM775
recently i've started cutting on one day and then bulking the next day and keep alternating between the two

will i lose fat and gain muscle??
this is my goal.

I don't mind if i stay the same weight so long as it converts to muscle.

NO, that's not how it works.
If you want to get big, a good way to do that is to bulk. But you dont just do it for one day. U need to do it for a month or 2. Also, dont do a dirty bulk, like always at KFC n that, do a clean bulk. Once you're happy with your size, start to cut. This way you will lose the extra fat and maintain the muscle growth, making you big but lean.

There are many Youtube videos on how to effectively bulk and cut.
Original post by ANM775
care to explain why?

This isnt bulking one day and cutting the next. The article says "In order to successfully build muscle and lose fat simultaneously, the first step Is to eat at a slight caloric deficit.". However, if you wish to bulk you would need to be in a slight caloric surplus.
Original post by ANM775
The reason I was alternating is because I really don't like being at a calorie deficit for too long. I am a man who likes his food.
I have also discovered that I would much rather acquire the 500 cal deficit through exercise than acquire it from reducing calories. being able to eat more also allows me to get more protein in without resorting to too much protein shakes as these do not agree with me, i'm already noticing some acne. yesterday i burned 800+ calories at the gym (the majority of it was walking on the treadmill) ... however my feet/legs cannot yet cope with doing that much walking every day. hence my idea to cut one day, and on the day my feet are recovering do a bulk........

but if that isn't going to do well then i think i'm just going to do the slow cut, with cutting one day, eating maintenance the next day ... until my feet/legs adapt and i am able to burn 600 cals+ on the treadmill everyday without my feat/legs hurting.

It's key to stay consistent rather than alternating. So start with a slight caloric deficit and slowly decrease the amount of calories you intake over time. As for burning calories, there are many other forms of cardio that can burn more calories and put less pressure on the legs. I used a range of machines and exercises when I started. One of the best ones are the vertical climbing machine or the cardio bike. The bike may be a better option for you as you can start at a speed you're comfortable with and slowly increase it. (and of course, still use the treadmill).

Also, try walking around 30 mins everyday. It can boost your muscle strength in your legs and also is a good exercise.
Reply 11
Original post by Zain_Ahmed
It's key to stay consistent rather than alternating. So start with a slight caloric deficit and slowly decrease the amount of calories you intake over time. As for burning calories, there are many other forms of cardio that can burn more calories and put less pressure on the legs. I used a range of machines and exercises when I started. One of the best ones are the vertical climbing machine or the cardio bike. The bike may be a better option for you as you can start at a speed you're comfortable with and slowly increase it. (and of course, still use the treadmill).

Also, try walking around 30 mins everyday. It can boost your muscle strength in your legs and also is a good exercise.

I used this sliding stepper thing today and think it put less pressure on the feet. I burned 400 cals with that, 300 cals on the treadmill and around another 100 walking around outside, and idk how much i burnt lifting.

i just came home and polished off a whole pizza.
don't shout at me, I deserved it :u:

my feet are conditioned to walk 30 to 45 minutes each day as before that that what i was doing. but recently with combined walking and the treadmill i've been walking at least 2 and a half hours ........and my body can't cope with that every single day (right now), feet or legs gets sore....
Original post by ANM775
I used this sliding stepper thing today and think it put less pressure on the feet. I burned 400 cals with that, 300 cals on the treadmill and around another 100 walking around outside, and idk how much i burnt lifting.

my feet are conditioned to walk 30 to 45 minutes each day as before that that what i was doing. but recently with combined walking and the treadmill i've been walking at least 2 and a half hours ........and my body can't cope with that every single day (right now), feet or legs gets sore....

Not shouting lol, but what was the point to burn off calories when you gunna eat a whole damn pizza.. Thats like me writing a book to then throw all the pages in the bin.. You will only see results if your diet is fixed as diet is the main factor to losing weight. Enjoy food, but their are many healthier options..
Reply 13
Original post by Zain_Ahmed
Not shouting lol, but what was the point to burn off calories when you gunna eat a whole damn pizza.. Thats like me writing a book to then throw all the pages in the bin.. You will only see results if your diet is fixed as diet is the main factor to losing weight. Enjoy food, but their are many healthier options..

don't worry lol. i only plan to eat 300 more calories today..

and due to burning 800+ calories i will still be able to meet a 500 calorie deficit today

Spoiler

Original post by ANM775

Except you cant accurately judge how many kcals u burnt doing cardio.
Reply 15
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
Except you cant accurately judge how many kcals u burnt doing cardio.

i used the machines with the calorie display and always ran somewhat over my goal to increase the likelihood of burning the required calories..
Original post by ANM775
i used the machines with the calorie display and always ran somewhat over my goal to increase the likelihood of burning the required calories..

Ik what you did and my point still stands.
Original post by ANM775

I don’t really get what you mean with this
Original post by ANM775
don't worry lol. i only plan to eat 300 more calories today..

and due to burning 800+ calories i will still be able to meet a 500 calorie deficit today

Spoiler

Ye im still gunna have to disagree bro. Its not JUST about the calories. The unnecessary fat that enters ur body isnt good. Yes it's only one pizza atm. But it's implied that you plan to "treat" urself every time u work hard. This will get u nowhere G. Work hard, and stay consistent. Dont eat hard, as it would disrupt your hard work. You can start by making your own pizza. Obviously it wont taste as good. But try using Pitta or naan bread. Put a bit of cheese on top and a couple of spices or toppings and warm it in the grill. It doesnt use oil and is kinda like a pizza. These alts are much better than the fast foods uve been taking.
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
Ik what you did and my point still stands.

True. As you can kinda cheat the system with small movements and it will still count it. Use it as a reference point instead.

Quick Reply

Latest