The Student Room Group

How to make good home made chips?

I made some chips at home today. They weren't very good. Any tips?

Scroll to see replies

How did you make them?
Cut up potatoes into chip shape, dried them out with kitchen towel and fried them. Then drained on ktichen towel. They were soft and very oily. yuk!
Original post by Kutie Karen
Cut up potatoes into chip shape, dried them out with kitchen towel and fried them. Then drained on ktichen towel. They were soft and very oily. yuk!

I happen to find chips cooked that way are the best, but we all have different opinions. Next time, try to avoid that approach.
Reply 4
Make sure the oil is hot before putting them in
Original post by spanker
Make sure the oil is hot before putting them in

yep did that. Why were they so soft and greasy? How do you stop that happening
Reply 6
put some tin foil over them. in a baking tray and add some cooking oil if needed.

try it in the oven next time

Where you using a variety of potato that are suitable for making chips with?
Your draining technique may be off as well.
What about the temperature of the fat?
Reply 9

Only reason they were soft is because the oil isn't hot enough, try making the oil hotter.
Original post by mathsboy01
put some tin foil over them. in a baking tray and add some cooking oil if needed.

so cut them up and put them int he oven and spray them with oil? How long and how hot shoudl the oven be?
Original post by spanker
Only reason they were soft is because the oil isn't hot enough, try making the oil hotter.

ok. the oil looked very hot and bubbled when i pu tthe chips in

Try a higher temperature next time :borat:
Original post by glassalice
Where you using a variety of potato that are suitable for making chips with?
Your draining technique may be off as well.
What about the temperature of the fat?

The were the normal cooking potaties and nothing special. what do you mean about the draining? What should I be doing? I don't have a way to measure the oil temperature. How would I do that ? and what temp woudl you recommend?
The were the normal cooking potaties and nothing special. what do you mean about the draining? What should I be doing? I don't have a way to measure the oil temperature. How would I do that ? and what temp woudl you recommend?

I use 170ish for chips
Reply 15

On the Gordon Ramsay fish & chips video, he blanches the chips in the oil at 160 deg C for 2 minutes, removes the chips from the oil, then finishes them off at 190.
If you're frying them in the pan, you'll need a cooking thermometer to check the temperature.

When you get chips at a restaurant or whatever, it's easy for them to drain them of the excess oil because they just fry them in those metal wire baskets. If you don't have that then you should either place the chips on a wire rack or on tissue paper to soak up any oil.
Bought some microwave ones. Not as nice though.
Reply 17
Bought some microwave ones. Not as nice though.

bleagh, oven would be better.
id say check out some recipes on youtube! adam ragusea has a good home made chips recipe in my opinion :smile:

Original post by Sinnoh
bleagh, oven would be better.

yep you are right. I wanted something fast.

Quick Reply

Latest