The Student Room Group

Black lives matter

*DISCLAIMER....THIS IS A FRIENDLY DEBATE/CONVERSATON!!! NO RACIST JOKES, REMARKS, OR SAYINGS WILL BE TOLLERATED!!!!! *

With the recent killings of unarmed black men, I wanted to have a dissucsion about black lives. Please respectfully put your comments down below, not degrading anyone or any race, or any culture. This is not to say that other lives don't matter, it's to point out that our lives matter, because they haven't been. I repeat, please make this a respectful conversation!

Scroll to see replies

As a black person myself I do believe that black lives matter, however I do disagree with a lot of the black lives matter movement for a couple reasons.

1. In light of the policewoman that mistook her gun for a taser I do think that she should be convicted, however to call it a race matter is absurd in my eyes and it seemed from the tape that she genuinely mistook it and made a mistake, one that she shouldn't be making given her experience and should be prosecuted for.

2. The looting and rioting is another thing I disagree with. What good does it achieve? It just harms local business', destroys the city and allows for people to steal and get away with it.

3. The race card. People use this way to much and they need to stop. For some people, any time something would happen against them people would use the race card and claim that they are advocating and trying to do more for black lives when actually it seems more like they're just using it as an excuse

4. The ACAB movement. Generalising a whole police force becuase of a small group of people is straight up stupid in my eyes and at the end of the day a few people in a group of many millions of people shouldn't be a reason to use ACAB to prove a point.
Original post by Black Sensei
As a black person myself I do believe that black lives matter, however I do disagree with a lot of the black lives matter movement for a couple reasons.

1. In light of the policewoman that mistook her gun for a taser I do think that she should be convicted, however to call it a race matter is absurd in my eyes and it seemed from the tape that she genuinely mistook it and made a mistake, one that she shouldn't be making given her experience and should be prosecuted for.

2. The looting and rioting is another thing I disagree with. What good does it achieve? It just harms local business', destroys the city and allows for people to steal and get away with it.

3. The race card. People use this way to much and they need to stop. For some people, any time something would happen against them people would use the race card and claim that they are advocating and trying to do more for black lives when actually it seems more like they're just using it as an excuse

4. The ACAB movement. Generalising a whole police force becuase of a small group of people is straight up stupid in my eyes and at the end of the day a few people in a group of many millions of people shouldn't be a reason to use ACAB to prove a point.

I agree. A common thing with this is the victim mentality which is very damaging. Being told that just because your black your gonna have a massive disadvantage in life and you will be discriminated. Its damaging for white people as well. Black people are victims, white people are evil and oppressors. Thats what I have been told many times and I simply cant agree as some of the most powerful and wealthy people ik are black. I also agree with the race card. Not everything bad in life that happens to you is down to race as there are many things to consider. Similar case with the 'wage gap'. No, its not your being paid less because your a woman, its because the guy is working more hours in a higher up position. You gotta look at the bigger picture.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by FairyVibes
I agree. A common thing with this is the victim mentality which is very damaging. Being told that just because your black your gonna have a massive disadvantage in life and you will be discriminated. Its damaging for white people as well. Black people are victims, white people are evil and oppressors. Thats what I have been told many times and I simply cant agree as some of the most powerful and wealthy people ik are black. I also agree with the race card. Not everything bad in life that happens to you is down to race as there are many things to consider. Similar case with the 'wage gap'. No, its not your being paid less because your a woman, its because the guy is working more hours in a higher up position. You gotta look at the bigger picture

YES!!!! you guys are sooo right! I know that racisim in the world is real, yet I don't want to use the "race card" as an excuse.
Original post by theycallmegigi
*DISCLAIMER....THIS IS A FRIENDLY DEBATE/CONVERSATON!!! NO RACIST JOKES, REMARKS, OR SAYINGS WILL BE TOLLERATED!!!!! *

With the recent killings of unarmed black men, I wanted to have a dissucsion about black lives. Please respectfully put your comments down below, not degrading anyone or any race, or any culture. This is not to say that other lives don't matter, it's to point out that our lives matter, because they haven't been. I repeat, please make this a respectful conversation!

Why is this not black men's lives matter? While 93% of Police killings are of black people about 95% are of men.
Original post by dtin
Why is this not black men's lives matter? While 93% of Police killings are of black people about 95% are of men.

Because black LIVES matter....you obviously don't get the point. black LIVES means women, men, whatever you call yourself. BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Because black LIVES matter....you obviously don't get the point. black LIVES means women, men, whatever you call yourself. BLACK LIVES MATTER!

Can you tell me why are more men killed by police than women, both black and white?
Original post by caravaggio2
Can you tell me why are more men killed by police than women, both black and white?

Men are way more likely to be involved in drugs and anything drug related always comes with violence as there is a lot of money at stake at times. Even if its only small amounts or low value drugs, you still have your reputation at risk if you are robbed so sometimes the wrong people get robbed and it backfires. As for the police situation there is quite a lot of things to put into consideration before the race card is played however there is definitely the fair share of police still abusing powers and that will never change so we should strive to minimize those police officers and keep police on the streets as if anyone knows... having police at your doorstep for whatever reason is just a pain and triggers a form of anger due to the invasion of privacy. Even body searches and car searches once again for me at least slightly annoy me due to the fact is doesn't really do much but give the police more power over people and cause fear. Black on Black violence is a bigger issue than police on Black people violence but no one is speaking on it. Once again the classic victim hood mentality bs
Men are way more likely to be involved in drugs and anything drug related always comes with violence as there is a lot of money at stake at times. Even if its only small amounts or low value drugs, you still have your reputation at risk if you are robbed so sometimes the wrong people get robbed and it backfires. As for the police situation there is quite a lot of things to put into consideration before the race card is played however there is definitely the fair share of police still abusing powers and that will never change so we should strive to minimize those police officers and keep police on the streets as if anyone knows... having police at your doorstep for whatever reason is just a pain and triggers a form of anger due to the invasion of privacy. Even body searches and car searches once again for me at least slightly annoy me due to the fact is doesn't really do much but give the police more power over people and cause fear. Black on Black violence is a bigger issue than police on Black people violence but no one is speaking on it. Once again the classic victim hood mentality bs

Most of these black guys are killed for doing non violent things though.
Original post by dtin
Most of these black guys are killed for doing non violent things though.

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure of a solution to a police officer looking to kill a black guy. There are backwards thinking people who do backwards thinking things but doesn't mean all police officers are racist or that the police are systemically racist. As hard as the pill is to swallow, you cant do much about a few rogue police officers as even if they weren't police officers, they would still try and find a way to discriminate
Reply 10
'will not be tolerated' - just on that, unless it breaks site rules and the mod agrees theres not really much you can do..

I'm curious though, what makes you say 'black lives dont matter' a few police killings (most of them justified one might add, even if some are decidedly not) hardly makes the statement black lives dont matter true. Not least because most people arent plods..

Explain how this is a hood mentality.

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure of a solution to a police officer looking to kill a black guy. There are backwards thinking people who do backwards thinking things but doesn't mean all police officers are racist or that the police are systemically racist. As hard as the pill is to swallow, you cant do much about a few rogue police officers as even if they weren't police officers, they would still try and find a way to discriminate

I nned you to understand two things, and I don't mean this to be rude or mean in anyway possible, but it's people like you who aren't changing the system. The ones defending police officers and not completely understanding what we go through on a daily basis as black people. Systematic racisim is a thing. It's not just in polive forces, it in politics, education, finances. It's so sad that you say we can't do much about a FEW police officers. ONE DEAD PERSON IS ENOUGH! The trial with Derrick Chauvin was finally ONE TIME the system didn't fail us. It finnaly hasn't fail 400+ years of slavery, economic struggle and hurt. what you don't understand is what this means to black people. This means that Emmet Till can rest in peace. This means the Dr. Martain Luther King's fight was not in vain. This means, that you can't go out and KILL US, not expect something to happen. Whether they are police officers or not, disscrimination is discrimmination, and it WRONG! There's no justifying it behind they're police officers. They should be the ones PROTECTING US, yet they're the ones KILLING US. As for black on black vilonce, that's a whole different subject for a whole different thread.

What about social class I would say that most of people hurt by police would be poor and male. There be almost none nice middle class university students black/white who deal drugs to other students being arrested and killed.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by looloo2134
What about social class I would say that most of people hurt by police would be poor and male. There be almost none nice middle class university students black/white who deal drugs to other students being arrested and killed.

Imma be completely honest, a lot of kids in college do drugs. Rich, poor, middle class, it doesn't matter. But as far as being hurt by police, I agree with that. I think that police target specific areas/groups of people on purpose.
Imma be completely honest, a lot of kids in college do drugs. Rich, poor, middle class, it doesn't matter. But as far as being hurt by police, I agree with that. I think that police target specific areas/groups of people on purpose.

It would make perfect sense though. You want to keep a group of people suffering then you target them; so its fairly easy for a group of people to concentrate an area with high drug activity. Growing up around this myself ik, people do crazy stuff for money (in this case drugs). I can't sit back and say the brothers i've lost from being stabbed wasn't related or caused by drug dealing because 99% of the time they got involved with the wrong people. This however doesn't only affect black communities, it affects literally anyone. In some parts of America with high gun crime I heard about police purposefully pushing drugs into already poor areas which majority of the time are black communities. I don't feel this makes the police systemically racist as that would mean apon start up of the police in that area, one of their goals was to kill black people. As I said, its people on an individual level or groups of people in the police force. Systemic racism is the Nazis. They purposefully are against black people, sorry to say it but the police aren't designed to be against black people. You then will form a fear of police, a fear of government and its not healthy. I never blame my problems on the colour of my skin since there are so many other things that could be the issue. I sure as hell don't like government nor do I rely on them however the police do a lot of good and you can't throw that out the window. I'm not for increased policing as its for communities to fix their own problems.
It would make perfect sense though. You want to keep a group of people suffering then you target them; so its fairly easy for a group of people to concentrate an area with high drug activity. Growing up around this myself ik, people do crazy stuff for money (in this case drugs). I can't sit back and say the brothers i've lost from being stabbed wasn't related or caused by drug dealing because 99% of the time they got involved with the wrong people. This however doesn't only affect black communities, it affects literally anyone. In some parts of America with high gun crime I heard about police purposefully pushing drugs into already poor areas which majority of the time are black communities. I don't feel this makes the police systemically racist as that would mean apon start up of the police in that area, one of their goals was to kill black people. As I said, its people on an individual level or groups of people in the police force. Systemic racism is the Nazis. They purposefully are against black people, sorry to say it but the police aren't designed to be against black people. You then will form a fear of police, a fear of government and its not healthy. I never blame my problems on the colour of my skin since there are so many other things that could be the issue. I sure as hell don't like government nor do I rely on them however the police do a lot of good and you can't throw that out the window. I'm not for increased policing as its for communities to fix their own problems.

I have a few questions for you.
1. Are you black?
2. How is targeting a certain area with drugs and gun violence NOT systematic racisim
3. What "problems" do you have? Because If you're black, and you're saying stuff like that, you should be ashamed of yourself. If you're not black, then I maybe can understand and sypathise with you, because you can't understand something that you don't live.
I have a few questions for you.
1. Are you black?
2. How is targeting a certain area with drugs and gun violence NOT systematic racisim
3. What "problems" do you have? Because If you're black, and you're saying stuff like that, you should be ashamed of yourself. If you're not black, then I maybe can understand and sypathise with you, because you can't understand something that you don't live.

How would you define systematic racism?

My relative wife is a teacher she teaches six year old children in poor area of Florida. She called the children in her class who come mainly from poor backgrounds white/black trash and that they were stupid. I was shocked she said they would also drop out of high school and live on welfare. If that the view of teachers in those areas what hope do those children have of having a good life.

Because police tackling crime is not racism. If an area has a history of high rates of drugs and gun violence it makes complete sense that the police would spend more time and resources in that area tackling those issues.

Targeting an area of high crime is in no way systemic racism. It's common sense.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Strange5050
Because not everyone living in that area is going to be of a particular ethnic minority. If an area has a history of high rates of drugs and gun violence it makes sense that the police would spend more time in that area tackling those issues.

Targeting an area of high crime is in no way systemic racism. It's common sense.

It is classist those in poor areas there is not higher drugs use rate than it nice middle class areas if just effect the area and people more. Those are more social problems that lead to higher gun crime such as bad schools high unemployment etc.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending