The Student Room Group

Leaving sixth form to go to college

What happens if I don't do the second year of A-level (year 13) and go to college instead? I'm deciding whether or not I should to go college to study just one course full-time, but I'm not sure if that would mean my one year full-time study in year 12 would have just been a waste of time.
Original post by sophieeelouiseee
What happens if I don't do the second year of A-level (year 13) and go to college instead? I'm deciding whether or not I should to go college to study just one course full-time, but I'm not sure if that would mean my one year full-time study in year 12 would have just been a waste of time.

it won't have been a waste of time if your course relates to the a levels you've studied, and switching subjects/courses/colleges in yr 12 is quite common, there's this person in my yr 12 class who moved to my college and is redoing the year bc she chose the wrong subjects. so don't worry about it, just choose the right course for you :smile:
i’m in the exact same situation as you, i’m really not enjoying sixth form anymore and don’t won’t to go into year 13 then failing as it would be pointless. I just really don’t know what to do.
Original post by doodle1707
i’m in the exact same situation as you, i’m really not enjoying sixth form anymore and don’t won’t to go into year 13 then failing as it would be pointless. I just really don’t know what to do.

Yeah I’m failing everything and I’m really not enjoying it, I want to finish the year as it would just be a waste but I think it’s best for me to go to college and find a course there that I’ll enjoy more. I hope you find a solution <3
Original post by sophieeelouiseee
Yeah I’m failing everything and I’m really not enjoying it, I want to finish the year as it would just be a waste but I think it’s best for me to go to college and find a course there that I’ll enjoy more. I hope you find a solution <3

Yeah so what’s best for you, i’m going to do my Y12 exams in 4 weeks and see how that goes and if i flop it then i’ll probably find a college course. The only thing putting me off college is the idea of being set back a year
Do whatever makes you happy and will still keep you on the path to success. If you don't think 6th form is right for you then go to college.

I failed Y12 and I was so panicked about what that meant for my academic future. I enrolled on a course that would still enable me to get to where I wanted to be. And it paid off, with me achieving the equivalent of ABB, since then I've passed a Level 4 course, volunteered in adult social care services and now I've accepted my unconditional offer to study the course I've wanted to do since I was 15.

Despite what teachers may tell you, 6th form is not always the answer.
Original post by CaitTopaz
Do whatever makes you happy and will still keep you on the path to success. If you don't think 6th form is right for you then go to college.

I failed Y12 and I was so panicked about what that meant for my academic future. I enrolled on a course that would still enable me to get to where I wanted to be. And it paid off, with me achieving the equivalent of ABB, since then I've passed a Level 4 course, volunteered in adult social care services and now I've accepted my unconditional offer to study the course I've wanted to do since I was 15.

Despite what teachers may tell you, 6th form is not always the answer.

Wow that’s amazing! did you do a 2 year course at college after Y12 or was it 1? i really want to swap out of sixth form if i do bad on my mocks
Original post by doodle1707
Wow that’s amazing! did you do a 2 year course at college after Y12 or was it 1? i really want to swap out of sixth form if i do bad on my mocks

Thank You 😊

In Y12 I studied Chemistry (dropped after 3 months due to stress), Biology, Maths and Geography. The only subject I genuinely enjoyed was Geography but I wanted to work in a healthcare role so I had to study sciences.

When I failed Y12 my Dad helped me look for courses and I settled on a BTEC in a Health and Social related course. In one respect, I wish I had picked college over 6th form sooner, but then I wouldn't have met the friends I made in college (who were all a year younger than me).

I will admit this: When I was in 6th form, I looked down on BTEC students as did all my friends. I was so wrong to do so. But my school made college and BTEC courses look like the 'lesser' option, and I think schools need to stop doing that.

If college is for you, then go for it and do not look back.
Original post by CaitTopaz
Thank You 😊

In Y12 I studied Chemistry (dropped after 3 months due to stress), Biology, Maths and Geography. The only subject I genuinely enjoyed was Geography but I wanted to work in a healthcare role so I had to study sciences.

When I failed Y12 my Dad helped me look for courses and I settled on a BTEC in a Health and Social related course. In one respect, I wish I had picked college over 6th form sooner, but then I wouldn't have met the friends I made in college (who were all a year younger than me).

I will admit this: When I was in 6th form, I looked down on BTEC students as did all my friends. I was so wrong to do so. But my school made college and BTEC courses look like the 'lesser' option, and I think schools need to stop doing that.

If college is for you, then go for it and do not look back.

Yeah i’m also surrounded by people in sixth form who look down on BTECs and i used to think the same, i’m taking business, geography and psychology but i only really enjoy geography aswell and that’s what i wanted to do a job in/university but now i’m just not enjoying sixth form and really want a change up but i don’t want to regret it and be limited to a low income job or limited career paths i can follow.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending