The Student Room Group

Student bank Account

Hi guys, I would like to get some advice of getting a student account. I already applied for HSBC, Santander, NatWest and yet I have been decline because of me credit score history. I'm not sure if I would be able to get a student account because of my credit. Do you guys know any other student account that I can apply for with bad credit?
Reply 1
Original post by Nick889
Hi guys, I would like to get some advice of getting a student account. I already applied for HSBC, Santander, NatWest and yet I have been decline because of me credit score history. I'm not sure if I would be able to get a student account because of my credit. Do you guys know any other student account that I can apply for with bad credit?

Do you have a bad credit score (if so why?) or a Cifas marker?

Have you ever had a bank account?
Original post by Quady

I assume it may be because you don't have a bank account or aren't on the electoral roll. Have you registered to vote?
Reply 3
Original post by LottieLot
I assume it may be because you don't have a bank account or aren't on the electoral roll. Have you registered to vote?

I have a bank account and pretty certain I'm on the electoral roll.
Original post by Nick889

I got a regular account with Barclays with no issues. might want to start with that (Other banks are available, not just Barclays), as all I needed was some POA documents and Photo ID.
Personally I can't understand why there's a need for a credit check to get a student bank account, as 9 times of every 10 a student won't have much of (or any) credit history...

hope I can help ;p
Fill out a DSAR from CIFAS first to clear out an obvious possibility.
Original post by Quady
I have a bank account and pretty certain I'm on the electoral roll.

That's odd. I had a bank account and was on the electoral roll before applying for a student account and credit card, and I was instantly accepted. I guess it was because I came into the branch with my ID and proof of address when I applied. I know that many branches aren't doing face-to-face sessions due to the pandemic. Maybe ask your bank branch manager about upgrading your current bank account to a student one? I'm pretty sure banks can do that.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Nick889

As @RedGiant suggests, submit a Subject Access request to Cifas: https://www.cifas.org.uk/dsar

Also, I suggest you request a copy of your statutory credit report from each of the three main credit reference agencies -- Equifax, Experian, TransUnion. Once you've got the reports (and you do need to get the report from each CRA, as they may hold different information), go through them carefully and check that everything is accurate.

One of the advantages of having a student account is the interest-free overdraft they tend to come with. If your credit rating is poor, then the bank may not be interested in offering you such an account.
Original post by martin7
As @RedGiant suggests, submit a Subject Access request to Cifas: https://www.cifas.org.uk/dsar

Also, I suggest you request a copy of your statutory credit report from each of the three main credit reference agencies -- Equifax, Experian, TransUnion. Once you've got the reports (and you do need to get the report from each CRA, as they may hold different information), go through them carefully and check that everything is accurate.

One of the advantages of having a student account is the interest-free overdraft they tend to come with. If your credit rating is poor, then the bank may not be interested in offering you such an account.

Maybe his history is poor because he's been applying to a lot of banks? I know that they do a hard check on applications for accounts, which lowers your credit score, and too many hard pulls aren't good from a bank's perspective.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
That's odd. I had a bank account and was on the electoral roll before applying for a student account and credit card, and I was instantly accepted. I guess it was because I came into the branch with my ID and proof of address when I applied. I know that many branches aren't doing face-to-face sessions due to the pandemic. Maybe ask your bank branch manager about upgrading your current bank account to a student one? I'm pretty sure banks can do that.

I applied for a credit card and got it before I got my student account too.

Are there any advantages to upgrading my Barclays Premier account to a student account?
Original post by Quady

Are there any advantages to upgrading my Barclays Premier account to a student account?

I don't think I can answer that - I'm not a banking expert. You can ask your bank branch manager about it; they'll have all the answers. Also, you just said above you got your student account (I'm so confused ahaha!), I'm pretty sure you can't have two student accounts at different banks.
Reply 11
I don't think I can answer that - I'm not a banking expert. You can ask your bank branch manager about it; they'll have all the answers. Also, you just said above you got your student account (I'm so confused ahaha!), I'm pretty sure you can't have two student accounts at different banks.

Perhaps ask the OP if they can explain where you mightve gone wrong?
Original post by Quady
Perhaps ask the OP if they can explain where you mightve gone wrong?

Me? What do you mean?
Me? What do you mean?

Original post by Quady

Omg I've just checked the responses. I'm so sorry I randomly responded to you when I was supposed to respond to the OP. That's my poor attention to detail for you lmao :lol:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Quady

Obviously I have a bank account, but credit is bad. I don't really want to say why.
Original post by Nick889
Obviously I have a bank account, but credit is bad. I don't really want to say why.

It's difficult to answer your question if your credit is simply "bad", that could mean lots of different things.
Original post by Nick889

Why don't you want to say why? Also, it's best you ask the banks why they rejected you and check your credit reports so you can see any anomalies/errors on there that need amending.
Original post by Nick889

If it's a student account, I think you'll need to show proof of acceptance from your chosen university. That's how I opened an account

Quick Reply