The Student Room Group

Recommend a self study maths GCSE level textbook plz?

hi, I am not very smart lol I want to study GCSE maths

I can do adding up etc and simple percentages and ratios and money but I'd like to learn algebra, I can do simple stuff like 5 * x = 10. x would then be 2.

but I heard about factorisation (?) and it seems interesting and idk how important it is but I wanna learn more algebra and fractoriasing like I saw something like 2(5+2) x + 2 and I wanna do it lol :biggrin:

I left school with C in GCSE maths but that was nearly 10 years ago

I would like to do it at home and not in a college etc because I have other commitments during the week etc, id like to go through a work/text book at my own pace and interest

any recommendations plz? stuff like BBC bitesize assumes you have learned it in a lesson first so doesn't explain it well from beginners

thanks so much :biggrin:
Ok. Why not try the GCSE Maths AQA Higher Student Book for Collins GCSE Maths?
Reply 2
Original post by AlishaDaisy
Ok. Why not try the GCSE Maths AQA Higher Student Book for Collins GCSE Maths?

Just looked at some teaser pages on amazon and it looks soooooo good and covers basically everything, thank u so much :biggrin: do you recommend any resources I could use along side it plz? I sound so nerdy lol sorry, maybe a YouTube channel or a website or something plz if that's ok? thanks :biggrin:
Original post by Anonymous
Just looked at some teaser pages on amazon and it looks soooooo good and covers basically everything, thank u so much :biggrin: do you recommend any resources I could use along side it plz? I sound so nerdy lol sorry, maybe a YouTube channel or a website or something plz if that's ok? thanks :biggrin:

You can look up at some Youtube videos, where it covers all the topics you are currently studying right now. Cognito is one example of a Youtube channel which covers Maths and Science and HEGARTYMATHS, which covers all the GCSE Maths topics with some example exam questions with step to step basics.
Reply 4
I'm self teaching Gcse Higher maths too 😊 I use the official AQA textbook and also hegarty maths and Corbettmaths videos
Reply 5
Original post by AlishaDaisy
You can look up at some Youtube videos, where it covers all the topics you are currently studying right now. Cognito is one example of a Youtube channel which covers Maths and Science and HEGARTYMATHS, which covers all the GCSE Maths topics with some example exam questions with step to step basics.

amazing, thanks so much!!

Original post by Tw1x
I'm self teaching Gcse Higher maths too 😊 I use the official AQA textbook and also hegarty maths and Corbettmaths videos

How are you finding it? :smile: Are you gonna sit the exam? I don't need to because I already have the C grade but I want to do it for fun (weird lol) anyway to help with my next steps in studying :biggrin:
Reply 6
amazing, thanks so much!!

How are you finding it? :smile: Are you gonna sit the exam? I don't need to because I already have the C grade but I want to do it for fun (weird lol) anyway to help with my next steps in studying :biggrin:

Haha I got a C too so in theory don't need to but I want to as I was so lazy in my GCSEs and massively underachieved. Along with chem biology psych and maybe another.
I'm hoping to sit in November. I'll be honest I've struggled with it but only because my working schedule is insane, I work ridiculous hours and I'm too tired when I get home to study so my entire time out of work is for maths but obviously that can't realistically happen.
When I get into it I dont mind it though (minus algebra, graphs and geometry haha)
Reply 7
Original post by Tw1x
Haha I got a C too so in theory don't need to but I want to as I was so lazy in my GCSEs and massively underachieved. Along with chem biology psych and maybe another.
I'm hoping to sit in November. I'll be honest I've struggled with it but only because my working schedule is insane, I work ridiculous hours and I'm too tired when I get home to study so my entire time out of work is for maths but obviously that can't realistically happen.
When I get into it I dont mind it though (minus algebra, graphs and geometry haha)

Ahhh that's so good. Chem GCSE seems so so hard lol, a lot of maths too right so you'll be fab hahah
Coming home from work and voluntary doing maths GCSE must sound so crazy to most people lol, I actually really love algebra (well, the thought of doing it lol, excited to learn more complicated stuff!!)
Reply 8
Ahhh that's so good. Chem GCSE seems so so hard lol, a lot of maths too right so you'll be fab hahah
Coming home from work and voluntary doing maths GCSE must sound so crazy to most people lol, I actually really love algebra (well, the thought of doing it lol, excited to learn more complicated stuff!!)

Thanks! I work ridiculous hours a week so hard fitting it in but I'm determined to sit maths November assuming I find somewhere to take me.
Algebra has grown on me and I get so happy when I get something right haha. When are you hoping to sit??
hi, I am not very smart lol I want to study GCSE maths

I can do adding up etc and simple percentages and ratios and money but I'd like to learn algebra, I can do simple stuff like 5 * x = 10. x would then be 2.

but I heard about factorisation (?) and it seems interesting and idk how important it is but I wanna learn more algebra and fractoriasing like I saw something like 2(5+2) x + 2 and I wanna do it lol :biggrin:

I left school with C in GCSE maths but that was nearly 10 years ago

I would like to do it at home and not in a college etc because I have other commitments during the week etc, id like to go through a work/text book at my own pace and interest

any recommendations plz? stuff like BBC bitesize assumes you have learned it in a lesson first so doesn't explain it well from beginners

thanks so much :biggrin:

The website mathsgenie is pretty amazing :smile: it has videos grouped by grades, as well as exam practice papers and topic exam practice questions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending