The Student Room Group

Maths help integration

6A905C0E-8C55-4329-B3B4-6B3149996BA7.jpg.jpeg
Can someone explain where I went wrong pls

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Try differentiating your indefinite answer and compare with the question?
Looks like a tan() type substitution to me.
I think you forgot to integrate what’s inside the bracket?
Original post by mqb2766

Yeah, It looks like an arctan(x) outcome somewhere along the line..
@Yazomi; don't remove the fraction and make it a negative power - that may be helpful to do
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766

Original post by ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
I think you forgot to integrate what’s inside the bracket?

Hmm after tan substitution I got
169D2DE2-E6ED-499A-ABAF-CCCC83C42822.jpg.jpeg
And I think the answers a bit dodgy
Reply 5
Original post by Yazomi
Hmm after tan substitution I got
169D2DE2-E6ED-499A-ABAF-CCCC83C42822.jpg.jpeg
And I think the answers a bit dodgy

I don't even know what you're doing there!

Your initial integral was in terms of x, so I would expect you to set x=tanθx = \tan \theta and proceed from there. Where did u come from?
Reply 6
Original post by ThatsAGoodOne349
Yeah, It looks like an arctan(x) outcome somewhere along the line..
@Yazomi; don't remove the fraction and make it a negative power - that may be helpful to do

1A1F5F35-9E39-4DE8-9364-F2C63E458BE5.jpg.jpeg
I’m not sure if this is what you mean but I’ve got this instead?
Reply 7
Original post by davros
I don't even know what you're doing there!

Your initial integral was in terms of x, so I would expect you to set x=tanθx = \tan \theta and proceed from there. Where did u come from?

95879BED-938D-47A0-B989-FD87AE1C5272.jpg.jpeg
Here’s the question is it helps
I was trying to do part be but I was trying to see if I could still find out the area without using the cos^2 theta given.

I think the part I messed up was trying to figure out what to put u=
Reply 8
Original post by Yazomi
1A1F5F35-9E39-4DE8-9364-F2C63E458BE5.jpg.jpeg
I’m not sure if this is what you mean but I’ve got this instead?

That is even worse than your original attempt!

I don't mean to be rude, but how long have you been studying integration? Are you getting support from a teacher or self-studying?

You've posted a number of integration questions recently where you seem to have invented rules for integration that just aren't valid, instead of following standard methods like recognition, substitution and IBP. This is leading you into all sorts of problems later on :smile:
dx(1+x2)2\displaystyle \int \dfrac{dx}{(1+x^2)^2}

Let x=tanθx=\tan \theta, then dx=sec2θ dθdx = \sec^2 \theta \ d \theta

The integral becomes;

dx(1+x2)2=sec2θ dθ(1+tan2θ)2=dθsec2θ=...\displaystyle \int \dfrac{dx}{(1+x^2)^2} = \int \dfrac{\sec^2 \theta \ d \theta}{(1+\tan^2 \theta)^2} = \int \dfrac{d \theta}{\sec^2 \theta} = ...

To integrate cos^2, you need double angle identity.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Yazomi
6A905C0E-8C55-4329-B3B4-6B3149996BA7.jpg.jpeg
Can someone explain where I went wrong pls

https://www.integral-calculator.com/ this shows you how to solve integrals step by step

Also man you gotta relearn integration from the ground up. I don't know how you're going from int((1+x^2)^-2)dx to -(1+x^2)^-1 + c but, in the nicest way possible, it shows that there are serious gaps in your understanding of how integration works. At this point you're inventing your own rules for integration, which aren't even remotely correct. Try TLMaths, ExamSolutions, Zeeshaan Zamurred, or some other maths teacher who makes videos on youtube, whoever you vibe best with.

EDIT: looking at a more recent post, my man this is worse than not understanding integration. Go back to GCSE maths, I'm not trying to be mean but if you don't understand fractions how are you going to be able to do integration?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 11
Oh dear welp I’ll start practising some more. I don’t think I’ll be prepared for the mock tmr 😂
Original post by Yazomi
Oh dear welp I’ll start practising some more. I don’t think I’ll be prepared for the mock tmr 😂

The cheatsheet
https://www.drfrostmaths.com/uploads/JFrost/files/C4CheatSheet.pdf
is decent, but an aid rather than substitute for practice.
Reply 13
Original post by mqb2766
The cheatsheet
https://www.drfrostmaths.com/uploads/JFrost/files/C4CheatSheet.pdf
is decent, but an aid rather than substitute for practice.

Ahhh thankssss it’s looking really helpful so far :smile:
Original post by Yazomi
Ahhh thankssss it’s looking really helpful so far :smile:

It's a bit basic, but something to build on.
When you think you've done the indefinite integrals, try differentiating them to check it gives the original function, if you've got time.
And also note you can instantly check definite integrals with your calculator, assuming you cave the 991-EX or CG-50

It does it numerically, so it will give a decimal answer. Subtract that answer from what you got and if you get 0 you did it right.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Filthy Communist
And also note you can instantly check definite integrals with your calculator, assuming you cave the 991-EX or CG-50

It does it numerically, so it will give a decimal answer. Subtract that answer from what you got and if you get 0 you did it right.

Alright got ya thanks

Original post by mqb2766
It's a bit basic, but something to build on.
When you think you've done the indefinite integrals, try differentiating them to check it gives the original function, if you've got time.

Just got one more quick question
684ABABC-0CA7-49A3-A252-99754D573021.jpg.jpeg
For a question like this how do you know what to use as a substitute or it’s really just guess work?
Original post by Yazomi
Alright got ya thanks

Just got one more quick question
684ABABC-0CA7-49A3-A252-99754D573021.jpg.jpeg
For a question like this how do you know what to use as a substitute or it’s really just guess work?

1-x^2 sounds like the Pythagorean identity, as the limits also hint at (30-60-90 triangle). So something like cos^2 + sin^2 = 1 gives
cos^2 = 1 - sin^2

1+x^2 hints at:
1 + tan^2 = sec^2
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by mqb2766
1-x^2 sounds like the Pythagorean identity, as the limits also hint at (30-60-90 triangle). So something like cos^2 = 1 - sin^2

1 x^2 hints at:
1 tan^2 = sec^2

What on earth
!(◎_◎; )
Ok I’ll leave that for later. I don’t think I’ll be able to take on or even spot these hints in the actual thing
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Yazomi
What on earth
!(◎_◎; )
Ok I’ll leave that for later. I don’t think I’ll be able to take on or even spot these hints in the actual thing

Thats fine, but these trig substitution questions come up a fair bit. There are only a few trig identities that frequently come up, so it's worth getting your head round them after tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Latest