The Student Room Group

is it okay to talk to someone younger online?

hey! so I’ve been playing a video game online recently, and I’ve been playing coop with someone who seems really sweet! they asked me for my age recently (18) and they replied that they were almost 17. Assuming this is true (lol) I was wondering if people think it’s okay to continue playing and chatting with them? they seem quite pleased to have a friend, but I’m also aware of the fact that I’m quite a bit older. Thank you guys! :smile: xx
that’s okay
It's fine to chat, play computer games and be friends with someone a few years younger.
Reply 3
yes its fine lol:biggrin:
there doesnt seem like a big age gap ive got a few friends who are younger than me online
You’re only 2 years older (closer to 1 year if they are turning 17 soon) so it doesn’t seem that weird. Especially since all you’re doing is playing and chatting with them.
If it starts to go further then be careful and don’t pressure them into anything
Reply 5
So long as you do not make it creepy, or try to gain their trust, name, phone number or any other details. Then, it is fine.
(edited 3 years ago)
You're both over 16 so it's totally fine. You're both between 16 and 18 which is even better. A lot of people at college are 16, 17 18 and 19 and are all friends with each other so you are defo ok :smile:
Reply 7
One year is not 'quite a bit older.'
Reply 8
Original post by Kreaze
So long as you do not make it creepy, or try to gain their trust, name, phone number or any other details. Then, it is fine.

hi, I’m the person who asked the question! we have only been playing for a couple days, but I tend to be quite friendly (I use a lot of emojis, and I like to generally offer help for thing) and I’m just aware as someone with a younger sibling that I might see someone being overly friendly as a red flag lol. but maybe I’m over protective lmao :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
hi, I’m the person who asked the question! we have only been playing for a couple days, but I tend to be quite friendly (I use a lot of emojis, and I like to generally offer help for thing) and I’m just aware as someone with a younger sibling that I might see someone being overly friendly as a red flag lol. but maybe I’m over protective lmao :biggrin:

Right, well, as I said, it is fine, so long as you do not make it creepy, or try to gain their personal details. Playing games with them could be fine, depending on what sort of game it is. You must be careful, but so must the younger person.
It's only one year. My brother met his wife when he was 18 and she was 17 through Xbox Live. He hasn't been taken away in the Jimmy Saville van yet.
I don't understand...where is the age gap??
Original post by 4Skin
It's only one year. My brother met his wife when he was 18 and she was 17 through Xbox Live. He hasn't been taken away in the Jimmy Saville van yet.

Oh, c'mon, that is only one year. It would have been very different if he had been 29, and she had been 12.
Doesn't matter.

When I was 13 I remember playing with late teens, didn't think it was weird at the time. A year is definitely nothing to be concerned about.
Original post by ^_^/
yes its fine lol:biggrin:
there doesnt seem like a big age gap ive got a few friends who are younger than me online

well i older than you lol:biggrin:

i dont think i would play online with someone like under 25 though imo
Original post by caramelon
I don't understand...where is the age gap??

haha looking at the responses I think I’m being a bit paranoid lol. it’s mostly because I’m in uni and they seem to still be in school (they’re 16) so I just wanted to make sure. I appreciate everyone taking the time to reply though! :biggrin: xx
Oh, c'mon, that is only one year. It would have been very different if he had been 29, and she had been 12.

Yes. That's the point. It's the same age gap as the OP. I don't think my post implied that its OK to go scooping up kids via Fortnight.
hey! so I’ve been playing a video game online recently, and I’ve been playing coop with someone who seems really sweet! they asked me for my age recently (18) and they replied that they were almost 17. Assuming this is true (lol) I was wondering if people think it’s okay to continue playing and chatting with them? they seem quite pleased to have a friend, but I’m also aware of the fact that I’m quite a bit older. Thank you guys! :smile: xx

In my opinion thats completely fine! I have friends who are much younger than me so dont worry!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending