The Student Room Group

GCSE French speaking exam

Bounjour! I was just wondering if listening to French Music helps for a speaking exam. I was also wondering how certain students revised to achieve good results in their exams :smile:
My exam is tomorrow and I'm slightly nervous haha.
Original post by Sq-ish-y
Bounjour! I was just wondering if listening to French Music helps for a speaking exam. I was also wondering how certain students revised to achieve good results in their exams :smile:

I had my French speaking a few months ago, and mainly revised through reading out my speaking answers and watching this channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoUWq2QawqdC3-nRXKk-JUw . French music probably won't make a major impact, so no point wasting time. Bonne Chance :smile:
Original post by Sq-ish-y

Hi, I sat my French GCSE a few years ago and got top marks. I would not recommend only listening to french music for revision. It would be better to revise lots of vocabulary such as a specific topic vocabulary for which ever themes you have studied in class, also revise a variety of verbs, adjectives & opinion phrases. Also i would recommend recording yourself speaking the questions (if you know what is going to be asked) and your responses, and just listen to them over and over whilst also reciting your answers at the same time! Also see if you can find a French person to practise some speaking with so they can correct any grammar / pronunciation mistakes. Good luck ! :smile:
Hi! I got a 9 in my French speaking in 2019 and I basically read my answers over and over and then tried writing them down to see if I remembered them. This is just active recall and it’s very helpful for the speaking exam. Once I’d memorised them, I started speaking them out loud to practice the pronunciation. Then you just tie it all in together and write/speak at the same time. I did this for all of my questions so I was fully prepared for my speaking. Recording them could help also so you can play them on repeat. Hope this helps! :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
I used French music when I revised, but only because I was doing French and Spanish so it helped me get in the mindset of the right language. My main thing was learning vocab to do with random scenes they might show in the photocard for each topic, and emotion words (in my mocks I always used to get told I should talk more about how any people in the photo might be feeling and why), and then lots of opinion words - you can't really prepare for exact questions since they can ask you literally anything to do with the topic, but you can get a few good question starters and phrases to help kill time while you think of a response. Good luck :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by stillcrying
Hi! I got a 9 in my French speaking in 2019 and I basically read my answers over and over and then tried writing them down to see if I remembered them. This is just active recall and it’s very helpful for the speaking exam. Once I’d memorised them, I started speaking them out loud to practice the pronunciation. Then you just tie it all in together and write/speak at the same time. I did this for all of my questions so I was fully prepared for my speaking. Recording them could help also so you can play them on repeat. Hope this helps! :smile:

Hey there! This was super useful actually, my exam was yesterday and it went super smoothly! I really appreciate the help hehe, I have even more exams coming up soon :') so I may even use this for other subjects as well
Reply 6
Original post by Interea
I used French music when I revised, but only because I was doing French and Spanish so it helped me get in the mindset of the right language. My main thing was learning vocab to do with random scenes they might show in the photocard for each topic, and emotion words (in my mocks I always used to get told I should talk more about how any people in the photo might be feeling and why), and then lots of opinion words - you can't really prepare for exact questions since they can ask you literally anything to do with the topic, but you can get a few good question starters and phrases to help kill time while you think of a response. Good luck :smile:

I was thinking of listening to French music during studying but I was always worried I would get distracted. I listened to artists like stromae the day before and other exterior songs like 'Bambola'. My exam doesn't give us photo cards but they gave us a scenario and we had to think about what we were going to say in the process- but thank you so much for the help! Honestly, I was so panicked for the real thing hehe

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending