The Student Room Group

A-level Computer Science Study Group

Poll

Which exam board are you taking?

Welcome to the A-level Computer Science Study Group! :woo:

This is where you can chat to others students taking your subject as you prepare for any assessments or grading that your teachers will be setting you over the next few months.

What can I do in these groups?

Almost anything! If you need help with a certain topic, want to rant about something you are struggling with or just want to support students struggling, this is the place for you. We want these to be a useful place for everyone no matter what you're looking for! :smile:

What can't I do in these groups?

Asking or offering copyright papers is against our site rules, and so is taking conversation off-site to do these things. Any posts doing this will be removed. That's the only rule :naughty:

Ice Breaker questions if you want to use them!

> What exam board are you on? (Vote in the poll as well!)

> How are your school assessing you in this subject?

> What are you aiming for?

> How are you currently preparing for your assessments?

Specifications:

AQA - Computer Science - 7517

OCR- Computer Science - H446

WJEC - Computer Science

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yes:
Keeping this space for a list of resources or study tools that are recommended in this thread:
Hi - I'm year 12 but thought it would be interesting to see other cs students' experiences.

I am doing AQA and I have no clue how I'll be assessed for my a level but I have EOYs now. I'm aiming for an A/A* (I'm currently at about a B according my tests in Feb/March time). Revision wise, I'm making notes/flashcards and doing practice questions. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by ScoutLeopard
Hi - I'm year 12 but thought it would be interesting to see other cs students' experiences.

I am doing AQA and I have no clue how I'll be assessed for my a level but I have EOYs now. I'm aiming for an A/A* (I'm currently at about a B according my tests in Feb/March time). Revision wise, I'm making notes/flashcards and doing practice questions. :smile:

Y13 here. Course isnt very difficult - just a lot of stuff to remember like most A levels. Honestly if you tick off everything day by day on the specification should be fairly stress-free. However there is a programming project in second year. I would suggest to start this over the summer, we started in december and it was exhausting to say the least.
Original post by izzym8
Y13 here. Course isnt very difficult - just a lot of stuff to remember like most A levels. Honestly if you tick off everything day by day on the specification should be fairly stress-free. However there is a programming project in second year. I would suggest to start this over the summer, we started in december and it was exhausting to say the least.

Awesome, thanks! We've started the programming already and we're actually almost done with the course - I think the plan is to finish everything but the project by the end of the summer term and then use next year for our project and revision. However, my teacher who is supposed to be teaching us programming isn't that good - *in sarcastic tone* yaaaay.

I hope everything goes well for you and your grades!
Reply 5
Original post by ScoutLeopard
Awesome, thanks! We've started the programming already and we're actually almost done with the course - I think the plan is to finish everything but the project by the end of the summer term and then use next year for our project and revision. However, my teacher who is supposed to be teaching us programming isn't that good - *in sarcastic tone* yaaaay.

I hope everything goes well for you and your grades!

Thanks ! Yeah i get you. We werent really taught anything in the programing side of things which was frustrating, perhaps because everyone was using different languages for their project. However, most of the marks are in the write-up as opposed to creating the most amazing, sophisticated project. In the end, i just used python to create my project, watching youtube tutorials to implement each new feature i want - its best to stick to a language you are perhaps familiar with and easy to code (since you have ample time you could easily look into other languages you may want to learn - like c# unity if you want to build a game). The key is to not look for complete mastery of a language, just google all the bits you need using stackoverflow.
Original post by izzym8
Thanks ! Yeah i get you. We werent really taught anything in the programing side of things which was frustrating, perhaps because everyone was using different languages for their project. However, most of the marks are in the write-up as opposed to creating the most amazing, sophisticated project. In the end, i just used python to create my project, watching youtube tutorials to implement each new feature i want - its best to stick to a language you are perhaps familiar with and easy to code (since you have ample time you could easily look into other languages you may want to learn - like c# unity if you want to build a game). The key is to not look for complete mastery of a language, just google all the bits you need using stackoverflow.

Thanks for the advice! I think we're supposed to use Java just because that's what the school teaches us but I was thinking of doing what you said and possibly doing it in another language and just googling what I need to know as I already have a decent basis in several different languages. :smile:
Original post by izzym8

I'm taking AQA Computer-science and I'm using Python for my project, but I wasn't sure about the originality of the code that I might have to use. In the sense that algorithms like those of neural networks, almost have a definite syntax, especially when using libraries in python. How much of their code would I have to change to avoid plagiarism, or would I be able to get away with using them as given in the documentation?
I've just finished year 12 and I'm doing the OCR spec. Currently don't have a report grade or teacher predicted for it - bit of a funny story but because I've been distance learning at one point it was looking like I was going to be taking my exams as a private candidate so decided why not take Comp Sci as well since I wanted to in the first place but wasn't sure about doing 4 subjects. Waiting to see if I'll be put in classes in yr13 and if I can do a mock to get a predicted grade. I'd like to aim for A or A* though.

In terms of revision, I've made all my flashcards for the Yr12 content (and some of the Yr13 stuff as well as I didn't realise it was yr13 stuff lol) and am currently learning them and doing practice questions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending