The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Loan - Part time

Hi SFE,

I have a query. I am considering registering for an MSc next year and would like to apply for the Postgraduate loan.

The course in question is normally full time and completed in one year.

However, they offer the option to complete it part-time/'flexi' where each year you complete some of the modules, with the total duration of the course to be between 2-5 years.

I have seen online that the government postgraduate loan can only be funded part time for the first two years of the course.

Does this mean that I would receive £5000(ish) in Year 1, £5000 in Year 2, and none for subsequent years?

Or does it mean that (e.g. if I planned to complete it in four years) I would receive £2500 in Year 1, £2500 in Year 2, and none thereafter?

Or does it mean that, if the course duration is planned to be more than 2 years, I would receive nothing because it doesn't fit the requirement for funding for 'part time to be no longer than twice as long as the full time equivalent'?

What if I applied and planned to complete it in 2 years and was awarded £5000+£5000, but ended up needing to take longer? Would I have to repay the loan immediately?

Thank you, I hope my questions make sense.
Original post by emmaaa88
Hi SFE,

I have a query. I am considering registering for an MSc next year and would like to apply for the Postgraduate loan.

The course in question is normally full time and completed in one year.

However, they offer the option to complete it part-time/'flexi' where each year you complete some of the modules, with the total duration of the course to be between 2-5 years.

I have seen online that the government postgraduate loan can only be funded part time for the first two years of the course.

Does this mean that I would receive £5000(ish) in Year 1, £5000 in Year 2, and none for subsequent years?

Or does it mean that (e.g. if I planned to complete it in four years) I would receive £2500 in Year 1, £2500 in Year 2, and none thereafter?

Or does it mean that, if the course duration is planned to be more than 2 years, I would receive nothing because it doesn't fit the requirement for funding for 'part time to be no longer than twice as long as the full time equivalent'?

What if I applied and planned to complete it in 2 years and was awarded £5000+£5000, but ended up needing to take longer? Would I have to repay the loan immediately?

Thank you, I hope my questions make sense.

Hi there,

The course must be either:

A full-time course lasting 1 or 2 years; or
A part-time course lasting 2 academic years which has a 1 year Full Time Equivalent (FTE)
A part-time course lasting 3 or 4 academic years which has a 2 year FTE; or
A part-time course lasting up to 3 years* which has no FTE course.
*1 year courses will always be undertaken on a full-time basis, but 2 year courses may be full-time or part-time.

The following courses are not eligible for funding:

3 year Part Time courses that are a 1 year FTE
4 year Part Time courses that are either a 1 year FTE or that have no FTE course
A partial postgraduate masters course

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi there,

The course must be either:

A full-time course lasting 1 or 2 years; or
A part-time course lasting 2 academic years which has a 1 year Full Time Equivalent (FTE)
A part-time course lasting 3 or 4 academic years which has a 2 year FTE; or
A part-time course lasting up to 3 years* which has no FTE course.
*1 year courses will always be undertaken on a full-time basis, but 2 year courses may be full-time or part-time.

The following courses are not eligible for funding:

3 year Part Time courses that are a 1 year FTE
4 year Part Time courses that are either a 1 year FTE or that have no FTE course
A partial postgraduate masters course

Thanks, Isaac

Dear Isaac,

Thank you for your help.

In practice, what does this mean for this Masters course I am considering (https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/graduate/taught-degrees/paediatrics-child-health-intensive-care-msc) which is 'flexible' for the part-time duration (stating it can be completed in 2-5 years)? Would it mean that I would be eligible for funding only if I completed it in two years? What if I started, aiming to complete in two years, but was ultimately unable to complete it within this time?
Original post by emmaaa88
Dear Isaac,

Thank you for your help.

In practice, what does this mean for this Masters course I am considering (https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/graduate/taught-degrees/paediatrics-child-health-intensive-care-msc) which is 'flexible' for the part-time duration (stating it can be completed in 2-5 years)? Would it mean that I would be eligible for funding only if I completed it in two years? What if I started, aiming to complete in two years, but was ultimately unable to complete it within this time?

You're welcome. No the duration must meet the criteria I listed above.

Only courses on the database are eligible for funding. I've checked the database and there are 4 courses but none with "intensive care" in the name.

For your intensive care course to be eligible, the university would have to add it to the database and it would need to meet the course duration criteria I listed above.

MSc Paediatrics and Child Health
Taught Masters
Postgraduate
England
Full-time
1yrs

MSc Paediatrics and Child Health
Taught Masters
Postgraduate
England
Part-time
1yrs

MSc Paediatrics and Child Health with Clinical Practice
Taught Masters
Postgraduate
England, Wales
Full-time
1yrs

MSc Paediatrics and Child Health with Clinical Practice
Taught Masters
Postgraduate
England
Part-time
1yrs

All of these courses are 1 year or 1 year full time equivalent.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending