jsnjdnejnjndjenjddj
Last edited by lol9812; 2 months ago
qwert7890
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by lol9812)
A drug is only licensed for the medical conditions it was tested to treat in the clinical trials.Drug regulations:• control what drugs a doctor can prescribe• ensure doctors can prescribe a drug with confidence • protect patients. AMD is an eye condition that can result in very poor vision. Doctors treat approximately 40 000 new cases of AMD each year.Two drugs licensed to treat AMD in the UK are drug A and drug B. In many other countries drug C is used to treat AMD. Drug C is only licensed in the UK to treat cancer.The cost per injection for each drug is:• drug A £561 • drug B £800 • drug C £28 The number of injections required to treat AMD is the same for each drug.
Do not write outside the box11In 2018 the High Court in the UK gave permission for drug Cto be used to treat AMD.Evaluate the decision to allow the use of drug C to treat AMD in the UK
Couple of different things you can look at:

- efficacy of Drug C (even tho it’s used in other countries that doesn’t mean it’s going to be as efficacious as Drug A or B in the UK, or efficacious at all!!!)

- it seems the major driver might be the cost. Would you say this is a wise decision provided that it was only used for cancer treatment in the UK?

- demographics: was drug C even tested for the target population in the UK? Different drugs might react differently based on ethnicity, for example
Last edited by qwert7890; 4 months ago
lol9812
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by qwert7890)
Couple of different things you can look at:

- efficacy of Drug C (even tho it’s used in other countries that doesn’t mean it’s going to be as efficacious as Drug A or B in the UK, or efficacious at all!!!)

- it seems the major driver might be the cost. Would you say this is a wise decision provided that it was only used for cancer treatment in the UK?

- demographics: was drug C even tested for the target population in the UK? Different drugs might react differently based on ethnicity, for example
Thankyou, what do you mean by the second bullet point?
qwert7890
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by lol9812)
Thankyou, what do you mean by the second bullet point?
Sorry I’m running on a few brain cells :lol:

What I meant was it looks like the high court settled for Drug C due to cost. So Drug C might be cost efficient (another factor to look at). but the problem is it always wise to go for the cheapest option? Especially in this case when Drug C has not been tested in the UK for AMD?
Last edited by qwert7890; 4 months ago
brandoncroe96
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
which paper was this?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
16.81%
I need help researching courses (8)
7.08%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
5.31%
I need help with my personal statement (43)
38.05%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (28)
24.78%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.77%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (7)
6.19%

Watched Threads