The Student Room Group

Strict muslim parents

I literally have no freedom to do anything I want, especially since my Dad is very restrictive, I once wore a skirt and he shouted at me and called me a whore and gave me a huge silent treatment for a whole month. He has done this many times it's really annoying and sad for me. He keeps saying its 'haram' but it is not but he is a hypocrite as he says I'm 'haram' when his family drinks and smokes. And I cant wear what I want because it is 'haram', I just really want him to leave. Just rude to me for no reason !!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I literally have no freedom to do anything I want, especially since my Dad is very restrictive, I once wore a skirt and he shouted at me and called me a whore and gave me a huge silent treatment for a whole month. He has done this many times it's really annoying and sad for me. He keeps saying its 'haram' but it is not but he is a hypocrite as he says I'm 'haram' when his family drinks and smokes. And I cant wear what I want because it is 'haram', I just really want him to leave. Just rude to me for no reason !!!

i have a similar problem tbh :frown: i hate my family
Reply 2
how old are you?

Just wait till you move out.
Reply 4
Original post by sy!¡
how old are you?

Reply 5
i have a similar problem tbh :frown: i hate my family

they think backwards
Reply 6
Original post by Wannabevetnurse
Just wait till you move out.

yeah but it is really hard to live a double life until I'm financially stable.
Reply 7

are you planning to go to uni or not? you could opt for a uni that’s far from home so you have to move into alternative accommodation
they think backwards

yh they really do nd blame us for it aswell. i hate it

I too have strict muslim parents so I get you; its so annoying! I don't have any freedom either and am not allowed to wear what I want. My mum is against 'english' clothes and makes me wear cultural all the time even when going out ( EMBARASSING AF). She's so strict she doesn't even want me going uni and wants me to take an islamic route instead but I'm like hell nahhhh (in my head obvs lol). Also, she literally thinks the internet is 'haram' and a 'bad place' so I can't even have any social media.

Also your dad shouldn't be treating you like that, and I swr hypocracy is haram? What are your mother's opinions on what you wear? Maybe try speaking to her about how you feel (worth giving it a go but its probs impossible if u hav brown parents lolll).
I understand some of how you feel. :smile:
I grew up in a very controlling house with a harsh set of bizarre rules imposed upon me by unreasonable ancestors and their vile pals.

All that you can do is wait until you have moved out, have financial independence and access to a stable pay check- then wear whatever you like.
Always put your health and physical safety first.
Don't attempt to convince your parents to change their beliefs or ask to be given the same freedoms that the law gives to all adults in the UK.
Nor any traditionalist members of your family or religious people of any religion that you know very well.
It won't achieve anything positive for you.
Original post by londonmyst
I understand some of how you feel. :smile:
I grew up in a very controlling house with a harsh set of bizarre rules imposed upon me by unreasonable ancestors and their vile pals.

All that you can do is wait until you have moved out, have financial independence and access to a stable pay check- then wear whatever you like.
Always put your health and physical safety first.
Don't attempt to convince your parents to change their beliefs or ask to be given the same freedoms that the law gives to all adults in the UK.
Nor any traditionalist members of your family or religious people of any religion that you know very well.
It won't achieve anything positive for you.

Well said :thumbsup:
(edited 3 years ago)

What does his family drinking and smoking have to do with him if he smokes and drinks then he’s a hypocrite. Also he isn’t rude and as you said yourself there is a reason (because it is haram)
Original post by the_pharaoh
What does his family drinking and smoking have to do with him if he smokes and drinks then he’s a hypocrite. Also he isn’t rude and as you said yourself there is a reason (because it is haram)

my dad himself drinks and smokes too and is telling me that I am haram because of what I wear
my dad himself drinks and smokes too and is telling me that I am haram because of what I wear

Well he obv has no right to tell you then

but it also doesn't mean what he's saying is wrong

Let's be gentle and not derail this thread.

I suppose you are a girl from what you are saying. You also made it clear you have strict Muslim parents who don't let you do anything they consider inappropriate. For example smoking & drinking are definitely haram. Everyone knows these rules.

However if you are a man in the rules can be somehow.... relaxed sometimes in order to fill the needs, expectations, and desires of those who are participating in whatever activities.

For a woman is different though. The rules are always different because a woman is different to a man.
(edited 2 years ago)
they think backwards

No! Why do you say this?! Don't you see that Islam is a beautiful and perfect ideology?!

You are 19 and you still live with your parents? Why?
Reply 18
You are 19 and you still live with your parents? Why?

in most non-western cultures, you live with your parents until you're married
Original post by jajja
in most non-western cultures, you live with your parents until you're married

I don't know because me and my brother moved out at 16 and 17 both single but with our mates. Mates were the same age and one was 15. Op is 19 still living with their parents

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending