The Student Room Group

Will I be eligible to tick *parents didn’t go to uni* box on UCAS?

They both did go, however they both dropped out. If I did go to university (and complete it) I’d be the first in my entire extended family to get a degree.
Original post by JPWR1
They both did go, however they both dropped out. If I did go to university (and complete it) I’d be the first in my entire extended family to get a degree.

I would suggest asking the UCAS advisor at your school to help
Original post by JPWR1

The question is whether they attended not whether they completed.

If they went to university then you need to tick yes.
Original post by JPWR1

I would tick whichever box you feel is most appropriate
Original post by PQ
The question is whether they attended not whether they completed.

If they went to university then you need to tick yes.

On the form it says did they obtain a Degree, Certificate or Diploma so they can select no.
Original post by Johnathan281
On the form it says did they obtain a Degree, Certificate or Diploma so they can select no.

That depends exactly when they dropped out. Completing first year will usually result in award of a CertHE, second year a DipHE. Whether the certificate was claimed or not the qualification is awarded.
(edited 2 years ago)
Also fwiw this is the exact wording and guidance:
FC53FE8B-E041-499A-B33E-3E203404EF6A.jpeg

Any completed module is an HE qualification.

If OP doesn’t want to disclose this information then they should select “prefer not to say”. They shouldn’t give an answer that they know to be untrue.
Reply 7
IVE had a disadvantqages eductional background p[rovuided my bad mental health i got MATHS/ENGLISH LIT/LANG 4 Combined Science 3-3 EXTENDED DIPLOMA in Public Services and SUBLUMARY DIPLOMA IN health social. since this gave me 136 UCAS points i was instantly elegable for my first Health Care Colledge in mental health nursing. This is since had personal experence and work eperence. i am a personal carer for my mother and did a summer job working in a nursing home and volenteered at a farm.

if you are scared you wont get accepted to do a profession try get work experenc in that profession to boost your CV. I would recommend a Pone app called YOUNG PROFESSIONS , they do online work experences and is a good way to get cetificates during corrona
Original post by PQ

If OP doesn’t want to disclose this information then they should select “prefer not to say”. They shouldn’t give an answer that they know to be untrue.

Is this information even checked by UCAS or Universities? As in they ask your parents? I don't see any other way to verify this.
Reply 9
Original post by user192013
Is this information even checked by UCAS or Universities? As in they ask your parents? I don't see any other way to verify this.

i believe unis would rather accept people with a educatipon whilst their parents having no education, this is since you didnt have a educational infulencer in your life woith show the unis your more independent
Original post by uspinger
i believe unis would rather accept people with a educatipon whilst their parents having no education, this is since you didnt have a educational infulencer in your life woith show the unis your more independent

Yes, I'm asking how would UCAS or the universities even verify if what you select is correct.
Firstly lieing about the qualifications is illegal and can get u up to 10 years in prsion for fraud.

Everyones education is logged on the educational Board of the country or is presented within your cetificates.

Lets say the education board is like the police they know all and see all
Firstly lieing about the qualifications is illegal and can get u up to 10 years in prsion for fraud.

Everyones education is logged on the educational Board of the country or is presented within your cetificates.

Lets say the education board is like the police they know all and see all

I never said I lied about anything I am aware of this already.
I also didn't ask about qualifications I'm asking about this specific box you have to tick.
oooowwwww so basicaly higher education means Level 3/4/5/6/7 Qualifications, Vocational or academic . Like college Diplomas,Btecs,a-levels/O-Levels.
if your parents dropped out of UNI But completed a one-year qualifcation thats called as a type of higher education, but if they came out of UNI with no cetificates then you tick no.
oooowwwww so basicaly higher education means Level 3/4/5/6/7 Qualifications, Vocational or academic . Like college Diplomas,Btecs,a-levels/O-Levels.
if your parents dropped out of UNI But completed a one-year qualifcation thats called as a type of higher education, but if they came out of UNI with no cetificates then you tick no.

I'm aware of this, I was asking how do UCAS check what you have put is correct because how can you prove your parents haven't received a HE qualification? @PQ
The educational Board has Logs of everyone even your parents. This question you are over thinking. UCAS wont know that your parents had a HE because UCAS was made in 1992. THIS QUESTION is just a statistical analysis on the international level to monitor what schools had families with education or not, which is told to the government where to add more educational funding for future generations . Just put no or if your not that sure ask your parents and if they arnt sure just put idk
The educational Board has Logs of everyone even your parents. This question you are over thinking. UCAS wont know that your parents had a HE because UCAS was made in 1992. THIS QUESTION is just a statistical analysis on the international level to monitor what schools had families with education or not, which is told to the government where to add more educational funding for future generations . Just put no or if your not that sure ask your parents and if they arnt sure just put idk

Some universities take this option into account in their decisions. Some courses may have it as a requirement as well for possibly a foundation year course or similar. That's why I'm asking how do they check as it would seem odd that a university would have a requirement that they can't even check the legitimacy of.
Original post by PQ

I know im 5 months late but where did you get that option? i cant find it anywhere on ucas
Original post by Holamisamigos213
I know im 5 months late but where did you get that option? i cant find it anywhere on ucas

The UCAS portal has changed this year, the fields to complete will be different so the guidance in this thread may not be relevant anymore.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending