The Student Room Group

English language

Hi guys i want to start teaching myself Gcse English language i want to do AQA spec but since i'm studying it on my own i feel some question to ask : How is the syllabus structured please ? I checked the spec but I'm still confused
Reply 1
Original post by 90'S
Hi guys i want to start teaching myself Gcse English language i want to do AQA spec but since i'm studying it on my own i feel some question to ask : How is the syllabus structured please ? I checked the spec but I'm still confused

Hi
for gcse english language, there are 2 papers
paper 1 is about creative reading/writing. there are 4 comprehension questions which you have to answer based on a fiction text (and the language/ structural techniques used). then for the second section there's a creative writing task (a description of an image which is given to you or a story)

paper 2 is about the writer's perspectives and you're given 2 non-fiction texts. there are again 4 similar comprehension questions about the writer's techniques and opinions. then for the second section there's a non-fiction writing task (e.g. an article persuading you to recycle/ a speech about why homework should be banned, etc)

as well as the written papers, there's a speech (which is a separate grade but still a part of english language)

there are also plenty of youtube videos and resources online which fully explain the contents of each paper if you need any extra help with the course

hope that was helpful :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by d3rin13
Hi
for gcse english language, there are 2 papers
paper 1 is about creative reading/writing. there are 4 comprehension questions which you have to answer based on a fiction text (and the language/ structural techniques used). then for the second section there's a creative writing task (a description of an image which is given to you or a story)

paper 2 is about the writer's perspectives and you're given 2 non-fiction texts. there are again 4 similar comprehension questions about the writer's techniques and opinions. then for the second section there's a non-fiction writing task (e.g. an article persuading you to recycle/ a speech about why homework should be banned, etc)

as well as the written papers, there's a speech (which is a separate grade but still a part of english language)

there are also plenty of youtube videos and resources online which fully explain the contents of each paper if you need any extra help with the course

hope that was helpful :smile:

thank you so much for this and can you tell the links of the youtubes please i really would need them since i'm self teaching and one last question I saw on the AQA spec theres like a course work kind of thing in the new Gcse I dont know if I was seeing these or its actually correct there is lol
Reply 3
Original post by 90'S

Original post by 90'S
thank you so much for this and can you tell the links of the youtubes please i really would need them since i'm self teaching and one last question I saw on the AQA spec theres like a course work kind of thing in the new Gcse I dont know if I was seeing these or its actually correct there is lo

Yes it's a spoken language endorsment however you don't have to do this if you do Edexcel IGCSE English Language, so it might be worth changing exam boards if the spoken language endorsement causes issues
Reply 4
Original post by 90'S
thank you so much for this and can you tell the links of the youtubes please i really would need them since i'm self teaching and one last question I saw on the AQA spec theres like a course work kind of thing in the new Gcse I dont know if I was seeing these or its actually correct there is lol

no problem!
good youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mrbruff

I don't think there's any coursework anymore for english aqa, just the 2 papers and the spoken language
Reply 5
can you possibly help me.
Needing some help on Paper 2 Question 3 and 4, Touching the Void text and also the Climbing the Meijie
I am just unsure on how to start the questions i have analysed all the text just need a little help.

Original post by mand90
can you possibly help me.
Needing some help on Paper 2 Question 3 and 4, Touching the Void text and also the Climbing the Meijie
I am just unsure on how to start the questions i have analysed all the text just need a little help.

Did you find anything for q4, it's literally the same for me, I just need dome ideas to start with.

Quick Reply

Latest