The Student Room Group

Is A level business hard?

I am considering doing a level business and I need to get an A* in it, however I did not do business for gcses since my school didn’t have it as a subject. My maths isn’t that great so what’s the chance of me getting an A*? I want to do medicine at uni which is why at least one A* is needed. Also, how much memorisation do I need to do for a level business?
Reply 1
Original post by Aj123456aj
I am considering doing a level business and I need to get an A* in it, however I did not do business for gcses since my school didn’t have it as a subject. My maths isn’t that great so what’s the chance of me getting an A*? I want to do medicine at uni which is why at least one A* is needed. Also, how much memorisation do I need to do for a level business?

From a friend, I think Business is quite hard if your math isn't great. There is a lot of information. As a college student myself, A-Levels are all hard at first and nothing like GCSE. My school didn't do business studies but you could get on the course. To get on the course in the first place, you have to have high grades in certain subjects (I think maths is one of them). I'm not sure why you would take it if you want to do medicine, though? People I know doing medicine at Uni are taking sciences (Biology and Chemistry are the mains):smile: Hope this kind of helps
Reply 2
Original post by Sav055
From a friend, I think Business is quite hard if your math isn't great. There is a lot of information. As a college student myself, A-Levels are all hard at first and nothing like GCSE. My school didn't do business studies but you could get on the course. To get on the course in the first place, you have to have high grades in certain subjects (I think maths is one of them). I'm not sure why you would take it if you want to do medicine, though? People I know doing medicine at Uni are taking sciences (Biology and Chemistry are the mains):smile: Hope this kind of helps

I am taking biology and chemistry. I thought taking business as a third subject would be easy to get a good grade in and I want to have a small business as a side job so I can earn passive income. To do business a level, I need a 6 in maths and my predicted grade is 6. Also thank you so much for replying :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Aj123456aj
I am taking biology and chemistry. I thought taking business as a third subject would be easy to get a good grade in and I want to have a small business as a side job so I can earn passive income. To do business a level, I need a 6 in maths and my predicted grade is 6. Also thank you so much for replying :smile:

I wish you all the luck! My one piece of advice is to take as many notes and possible and be organised from the start. You'll regret it (like me who's trying to catch up) if you don't :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Sav055
I wish you all the luck! My one piece of advice is to take as many notes and possible and be organised from the start. You'll regret it (like me who's trying to catch up) if you don't :smile:

I’ll definitely keep this in mind. Thank you so much and good luck too :smile:
Hello, I do edexcel business (year 13). I would say no A level is easy but for me personally it is easier than my other subjects. Its mostly writing but there are some 4 mark maths questions. Now I am not the best at maths but I think if you can achieve a grade 4/5 in GCSE maths, you'll be fine. Most of the maths is really easy such as percentage changes but there is a couple of more economics based maths in there. You can certainly get an A* if you get good at exam technique and give some real life examples (and obviously revise lol). The amount of knowledge you need to know is pretty minimal, in my opinion, as most of it is just exam technique.

Doing GCSE business doesn't really give you an advantage. There is some cross over in the first month or so which just means that people who did GCSE relax a bit whilst those who didn't catch up on knowledge but it is pretty different and you shouldn't worry at all. I didn't do GCSE business and tbh everyone who did GCSE business had to learn new exam technique anyway + new content so it makes very little difference whether you did or didn't.

As for advice: Practise exam technique and make your revision materials as you go along as its much easier. Keeping your tests and any exam practise with you will really help to see what you need to improve on. If you refresh what you have learnt every week then it should stick with you (a lot of the content in my opinion can repeat itself or just be general logic/you can think up chains of reasoning from just 1 point) and by the end you should not have to revise much as you will already know it and then you can invest more energy into perfecting your answers.

Hope that helps a bit :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by something_orphic
Hello, I do edexcel business (year 13). I would say no A level is easy but for me personally it is easier than my other subjects. Its mostly writing but there are some 4 mark maths questions. Now I am not the best at maths but I think if you can achieve a grade 4/5 in GCSE maths, you'll be fine. Most of the maths is really easy such as percentage changes but there is a couple of more economics based maths in there. You can certainly get an A* if you get good at exam technique and give some real life examples (and obviously revise lol). The amount of knowledge you need to know is pretty minimal, in my opinion, as most of it is just exam technique.

Doing GCSE business doesn't really give you an advantage. There is some cross over in the first month or so which just means that people who did GCSE relax a bit whilst those who didn't catch up on knowledge but it is pretty different and you shouldn't worry at all. I didn't do GCSE business and tbh everyone who did GCSE business had to learn new exam technique anyway + new content so it makes very little difference whether you did or didn't.

As for advice: Practise exam technique and make your revision materials as you go along as its much easier. Keeping your tests and any exam practise with you will really help to see what you need to improve on. If you refresh what you have learnt every week then it should stick with you (a lot of the content in my opinion can repeat itself or just be general logic/you can think up chains of reasoning from just 1 point) and by the end you should not have to revise much as you will already know it and then you can invest more energy into perfecting your answers.

Hope that helps a bit :smile:

Thank you so so much for the advice and your experience!! This helped me a lot :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest