The Student Room Group

English

Focus this part of your answer on the second part of the source, from line 28 to the end.
A student said, ‘In this part of the story, where Zoe and Jake are caught in the avalanche, I can’t believe Zoe is so slow to react to the warning signs because, in the end, the situation sounds really dangerous.’
To what extent do you agree? In your response, you could:
consider Zoe’s reactions in this part of the story
evaluate how the writer makes the situation sound dangerous
support your response with references to the text.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Aaliyahxox1010
Focus this part of your answer on the second part of the source, from line 28 to the end.
A student said, ‘In this part of the story, where Zoe and Jake are caught in the avalanche, I can’t believe Zoe is so slow to react to the warning signs because, in the end, the situation sounds really dangerous.’
To what extent do you agree? In your response, you could:
consider Zoe’s reactions in this part of the story
evaluate how the writer makes the situation sound dangerous
support your response with references to the text.

We did this extract for our year 11 mock
Its hard isnt it
Reply 3
Original post by Aaliyahxox1010
Its hard isnt it

I found this alright - I mean I got a 9 on the paper so let me know if you need help with it!
how
Can you send me a essay of what you wrote for the Q2
Reply 6
Original post by aniyah_123_
Can you send me a essay of what you wrote for the Q2

I wrote this a while ago in my mock, and I waffled a lot! My writing has defiantly improved since then - but I still got 8/8

2) How does the writer use language here to describe Zoe's feelings?

The writer uses figurative language to describe Zoe's feelings. He uses the word "few" to imply that Zoe feels this is a are moment, one she must cherish and enjoy as she is unlikely to experience this again. He describes the moments as "clear and pure as ice", using a simile to show how rare yet wonderful this moment is. The use of the word "pure" implies Zoe has good, angelic feelings, something amazing and peaceful.

The writer also uses personification to describe Zoe's feelings. He describes "the mountain breathed back at her". The use of the word "breathed" suggests Zoe feels calm and is able to let go of her worries. Furthermore, he describes Zoe when she "trapped one moment" and "it could never be taken away". The use of the word "trapped" implies something being consumed, suggesting she wants to consume this experience whole and never let it slip away from her. She also experiences feelings of ownership when she "never" want the experience to be "taken away", showing she feels this is her moment and it is so amazing she doesn't want to share it or give it away.

The writer also uses metaphors to describe Zoe's feelings. She feels that the "snow" and "silence" are the "complete arrest of life". The use of "silence" shows Zoe feels very peaceful snd quiet in the mountains. The use of "complete" also shows that she feels she needs nothing else to satisfy her. Furthermore, she feels "ready" to "swoop" - she feels excited to jump. She also says "I am alive. I am an eagle". The use of the metaphor shows she embraces what she is about to do. Moreover, the use of "alive" shows she feels amazing and so lit up by the experience. Finally, "eagle" shows she feels she is able to fly and soar and be free just like an eagle, further emphasising her pure joy and freedom.

8/8
Original post by hollyf24
I found this alright - I mean I got a 9 on the paper so let me know if you need help with it!

hey could you pleaseeee send me what you wrote for q3 and q4
Reply 8
Original post by unknown423
hey could you pleaseeee send me what you wrote for q3 and q4

I think I have sent it to you on a private message, so let me know if you got that :smile: otherwise I can send it on here
@hollyf24 Hey, could you please send your question 4 answer to me as well
(edited 2 years ago)
Could you help me with the question 4 please?!
Original post by goodse38
Could you help me with the question 4 please?!

Original post by Salmaa1234
@hollyf24 Hey, could you please send your question 4 answer to me as well

Sent those messages now :smile:

Thank you so much, it was really helpful
Can someone send me question 4 answer pls

Could u send it me

Hey holly can you send me question 4 please. i would really appreciate it

Hey by any chance can you forward it to me. i need help asap
Original post by awanawan18
Hey holly can you send me question 4 please. i would really appreciate it

Sent it now :smile:
Original post by aniyah_123_
Can someone send me question 4 answer pls

Sent it now :smile:
I wrote this a while ago in my mock, and I waffled a lot! My writing has defiantly improved since then - but I still got 8/8

2) How does the writer use language here to describe Zoe's feelings?

The writer uses figurative language to describe Zoe's feelings. He uses the word "few" to imply that Zoe feels this is a are moment, one she must cherish and enjoy as she is unlikely to experience this again. He describes the moments as "clear and pure as ice", using a simile to show how rare yet wonderful this moment is. The use of the word "pure" implies Zoe has good, angelic feelings, something amazing and peaceful.

The writer also uses personification to describe Zoe's feelings. He describes "the mountain breathed back at her". The use of the word "breathed" suggests Zoe feels calm and is able to let go of her worries. Furthermore, he describes Zoe when she "trapped one moment" and "it could never be taken away". The use of the word "trapped" implies something being consumed, suggesting she wants to consume this experience whole and never let it slip away from her. She also experiences feelings of ownership when she "never" want the experience to be "taken away", showing she feels this is her moment and it is so amazing she doesn't want to share it or give it away.

The writer also uses metaphors to describe Zoe's feelings. She feels that the "snow" and "silence" are the "complete arrest of life". The use of "silence" shows Zoe feels very peaceful snd quiet in the mountains. The use of "complete" also shows that she feels she needs nothing else to satisfy her. Furthermore, she feels "ready" to "swoop" - she feels excited to jump. She also says "I am alive. I am an eagle". The use of the metaphor shows she embraces what she is about to do. Moreover, the use of "alive" shows she feels amazing and so lit up by the experience. Finally, "eagle" shows she feels she is able to fly and soar and be free just like an eagle, further emphasising her pure joy and freedom.

8/8

Hey, by any chance could you please forward me what you wrote for question 4?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending