The Student Room Group
Reply 1
No.

Why have you left it this late to start studying?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by asif007
No.

Why have you left it this late to start studying?

oh really?! I have done some practise questions and started to make notes, we have just under 5 weeks and its all online exams.
Reply 3
Original post by dragupathy
oh really?! I have done some practise questions and started to make notes, we have just under 5 weeks and its all online exams.

You didn't answer my question. Why have you only left yourself 4 weeks to study?

Having your exams online is no excuse to do less work or treat them any less seriously than if they were in person. It sounds like that's what you're trying to do, and now you're panicking that there isn't enough time left.
Reply 4
Original post by asif007
You didn't answer my question. Why have you only left yourself 4 weeks to study?

Having your exams online is no excuse to do less work or treat them any less seriously than if they were in person. It sounds like that's what you're trying to do, and now you're panicking that there isn't enough time left.

I am panicking but I had already started to do some revision and passed both my mocks earlier in the year. Is 4 weeks enough to memorise the content and continue doing questions?
Reply 5
I am panicking but I had already started to do some revision and passed both my mocks earlier in the year. Is 4 weeks enough to memorise the content and continue doing questions?

Mocks are often just sample questions, much easier than the real exams. You know that, right? Passing mocks is no indication that you will pass the real exams. If you do the same amount of work for the real exams that you did for the mocks, you will fail the real ones.

No, 4 weeks is not enough time. 3 months would have been better.
Reply 6
Depends on too many things. How much you've already learned the first time, your style of revision, how well you adapt to exam questions... I reckon I could have done it for most of my med school MCQ type exams. Essays were harder.

But it's pretty pointless worrying about whether it can be done - 4 weeks is what you have, so you need to make the most of it.
Original post by asif007
Mocks are often just sample questions, much easier than the real exams. You know that, right? Passing mocks is no indication that you will pass the real exams. If you do the same amount of work for the real exams that you did for the mocks, you will fail the real ones.

No, 4 weeks is not enough time. 3 months would have been better.

It's now 4 weeks to the exams. OP can't rewind to 3 months ago. Regardless of what happened to OP, they managed to leave it until now. So there is no point going on about it to cause them even more alarm.

OP, seeing as you did well in your mocks, it means you are not exactly blank but not entirely there yet. I would suggest calming down first. Avoid panicking. If you panic you will find that a lot of time has passed without accomplishing much.

Try setting a tight schedule and stick to it. It's open book; summarize all the crucial content and keep a cool head. Hopefully you pull this off and learn your lesson. Good luck!
Reply 8
4 weeks is all you have and so make the most of it. Wake up early, start at 3 am and end at 9pm. Take breaks of course and a 30minute to 1 hour power nap if you feel sleepy. Set a strict time table and stick to it. Delete all social media till after the exams. Good luck.
Original post by H.E.R
4 weeks is all you have and so make the most of it. Wake up early, start at 3 am and end at 9pm. Take breaks of course and a 30minute to 1 hour power nap if you feel sleepy. Set a strict time table and stick to it. Delete all social media till after the exams. Good luck.

I mean this is just a recipe for utter burnout? Up at 3?!
Sleep and time away from revision is important.

OP, you have four weeks regardless of whether people think that is enough time. You know how much you’ve studied so far and how much you’ve got left to cover. Make a revision plan and try to stick to it. But give yourself some breathing space too (time for exercising, see friends occasionally etc).

I know the general consensus is tht you have to work consistently throughout the year or spend 12 hour days revising all the time. But that isn’t how everyone works and it is possible to pass exams with shorter periods of revision (speaking as a long term last minute crammer who managed med school exams with no issue).
Original post by Briefprofile
It's now 4 weeks to the exams. OP can't rewind to 3 months ago. Regardless of what happened to OP, they managed to leave it until now. So there is no point going on about it to cause them even more alarm.

Disagree. I see these kinds of posts very often around exam time about medical students who left their revision too late out of laziness and are now panicking, then later they wonder why they didn't perform as well as they hoped to. These are students who know exactly how to study but just can't be asked. Somebody here needs to give medical students a reality check every now and then, and that's exactly what I'm doing. Otherwise they will not learn from their mistakes and the same thing will happen over and over again. I fully expect to see more of these ridiculous posts from the typical medical student who likes to procrastinate and talk about how little work they have done. On the other hand, sugar-coating the problem like everyone else does will just excuse this type of behaviour and continue to perpetuate the idea that doing the bare minimum level of work for difficult exams is acceptable for a medical student. It is not. Therefore I have no sympathy for people who deliberately do not work hard and panic at the last minute. If they had some kind of extenuating circumstances preventing them from studying, then yes they deserve some help and a friendly ear. But the majority of these students do not have those problems. If they did, the circumstances would have been emphasised in their posts as the reason for delaying work so late.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by asif007
Disagree. I see these kinds of posts very often around exam time about medical students who left their revision too late out of laziness and are now panicking, then later they wonder why they didn't perform as well as they hoped to. These are students who know exactly how to study but just can't be asked. Somebody here needs to give medical students a reality check every now and then, and that's exactly what I'm doing. Otherwise they will not learn from their mistakes and the same thing will happen over and over again. I fully expect to see more of these ridiculous posts from the typical medical student who likes to procrastinate and talk about how little work they have done. On the other hand, sugar-coating the problem like everyone else does will just excuse this type of behaviour and continue to perpetuate the idea that doing the bare minimum level of work for difficult exams is acceptable for a medical student. It is not. Therefore I have no sympathy for people who deliberately do not work hard and panic at the last minute. If they had some kind of extenuating circumstances preventing them from studying, then yes they deserve some help and a friendly ear. But the majority of these students do not have those problems. If they did, the circumstances would have been emphasised in their posts as the reason for delaying work so late.

I have managed to complete all my revision and am confident for the exam - it is due to the kind, reassuring and realistic words of the other responders. Please be careful with how harsh you come across - it is not helpful. Thanks.
I have managed to complete all my revision and am confident for the exam - it is due to the kind, reassuring and realistic words of the other responders. Please be careful with how harsh you come across - it is not helpful. Thanks.

Well done! But next time try and leave yourself a bit more time lol!

Good for you. I hope you learned your lesson and you won't do it again. But if you do make the same mistake again, I will be right back here making the same points to you again. When you create your own mess and refuse to take accountability, you get brutal honesty from me. I speak harsh truths regardless of the topic, whether you like it or not. Truth hurts.
Reply 14

Did you get the mark you were after?
Original post by asif007

Sounds like someone is a bit jealous, what's your day job? Working in Tesco's?

Latest

Trending

Trending