Watch
jcrr
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hello,

My question is:

'Assess the importance of plate tectonic theory in helping to understand the nature and causes of volcanic activity'

I'm having trouble with this question. I think I have a rough idea of what it is asking, however I don't really know where to start. Could anyone comment with some points I could make, or perhaps a link to a website that helps explain the general topic of the question??

Thank you :-)
archere
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by jcrr)
Hello,

My question is:

'Assess the importance of plate tectonic theory in helping to understand the nature and causes of volcanic activity'

I'm having trouble with this question. I think I have a rough idea of what it is asking, however I don't really know where to start. Could anyone comment with some points I could make, or perhaps a link to a website that helps explain the general topic of the question??

Thank you :-)
This question is asking you to discuss how important plate tectonics are in determining volcanic activity. Remember to write about both nature and causes!!

You could write a paragraph on how tectonics determine the causes of volcanic activity. How do plate boundaries cause volcanic activities???
For example...
- How might a continental-oceanic boundary differ to that of a continental-continental boundary? How night these differences cause different volcanic activity?
- Would a converging continental-oceanic produce the same volcanic activity as a diverging oceanic-oceanic tectonic boundary?
- Do similar plate boundaries exhibit similar volcanic activity?

Then you would write a paragraph about how tectonics determine the nature of volcanic activity. Nature means the characteristics!!!
For example...
- How does tectonic movement determine lava composition? Is it Aa lava/Pahoehoe lava/pillow lava
- How does tectonic movement determine eruption style?

Remember to use specific case studies/facts to provide evidence to your answer. Use key words too and really show off your knowledge!! Always link back to the question at the end of each of your paragraphs....ASSESS!! = Come to a judgement about how important a role plate tectonics play....or, whether other factors play a role in determining nature/causes??
jcrr
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by ellenarcher)
This question is asking you to discuss how important plate tectonics are in determining volcanic activity. Remember to write about both nature and causes!!

You could write a paragraph on how tectonics determine the causes of volcanic activity. How do plate boundaries cause volcanic activities???
For example...
- How might a continental-oceanic boundary differ to that of a continental-continental boundary? How night these differences cause different volcanic activity?
- Would a converging continental-oceanic produce the same volcanic activity as a diverging oceanic-oceanic tectonic boundary?
- Do similar plate boundaries exhibit similar volcanic activity?

Then you would write a paragraph about how tectonics determine the nature of volcanic activity. Nature means the characteristics!!!
For example...
- How does tectonic movement determine lava composition? Is it Aa lava/Pahoehoe lava/pillow lava
- How does tectonic movement determine eruption style?

Remember to use specific case studies/facts to provide evidence to your answer. Use key words too and really show off your knowledge!! Always link back to the question at the end of each of your paragraphs....ASSESS!! = Come to a judgement about how important a role plate tectonics play....or, whether other factors play a role in determining nature/causes??
you... are an absolute legend. i hope you have the best week ever. what a top reply. Thank you so much!! :-)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
21.99%
Excited but a bit nervous (132)
45.36%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.37%
I'm really nervous (59)
20.27%

Watched Threads