Need a help please...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Nimantha
IMG_20210429_091639-compressed.jpg.jpeg

Need a help please...

Any thoughts? You need to find n, so can you write
n = ...
Then replace the variables to make an inequality? What are the min/max values.

Or start with the two inequalities as they're reasonably straightforward.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
IMG_20210429_092852-compressed.jpg.jpeg
I tried but i have stuck here
Reply 3
IMG_20210429_092852-compressed.jpg.jpeg
I tried but i have stuck here

Id isolate n in the inequality, so
... <= n <= ...
Then argue about the min/max value of the expressions if you don't simplify them first.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Is it wrong if I take - 4pi and 12pi as min and max values for the above equation for all alpha?
Reply 5
Is it wrong if I take - 4pi and 12pi as min and max values for the above equation for all alpha?

It would help to see your working, but that's the general idea.The
Note you also have x to bound.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
IMG_20210429_095050-compressed.jpg.jpeg

Please tell me where have I gone wrong...
Reply 7

I would have written
n = ...
To find the actual expression in x, alpha you want to find the min/max value of which satisfies the constraints. Maybe try that for starters?

In doing so, you may have to consider x=0 division, but it should give insight.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by mqb2766
I would have written
n = ...
To find the actual expression in x, alpha you want to find the min/max value of which satisfies the constraints. Maybe try that for starters?

Ok thanks...
Reply 9
Ok thanks...

It's also worth noting that typically x, alpha will be at extreme values (their constraint boundariies) to make n as large/small as possible.
Original post by 3672N

When I was looking at this last night, I thought one of the pis was an x, must have been tired. That working looks fine.
Reply 11
But it doesn't work for all alpha in the range like pi/6
Reply 12
IMG_20210429_133708-compressed.jpg.jpeg
The original question was this, and I got stuck in the second part. And I think there is a problem in this question as it doesn't give the same number of solutions for all alpha in the given range
Original post by 3672N
But it doesn't work for all alpha in the range like pi/6

The way you asked it was that alpha was a slack variable that just had to satisfy the inequality constant. So as long as there exists one alpha in that range, the solution is fine.

Edit, when looking at the original question, alpha is fixed (determined by a and b (h?)), not a free variable, which obviously changes the problem. Is the final inequality constraint correct
2pi - alpha <= x <= 2pi+alpha
So for instance if alpha=0, x=2pi and there cannot be a stationary point as the range of x is a point? Or do you want to take the range extreme value as the max value?

Note there appears to be some ambiguity in the question, depending on the sign of B the location of the maximum could be 3pi/2 rather than pi/2. I take it you've accounted for that?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by mqb2766
The way you asked it was that alpha was a slack variable that just had to satisfy the inequality constant. So as long as there exists one alpha in that range, the solution is fine.

Edit, when looking at the original question, alpha is fixed (determined by a and b (h?)), not a free variable, which obviously changes the problem. Is the final inequality constraint correct
So for instance if alpha=0, x=2pi and there cannot be a stationary point as the range of x is a point? Or do you want to take the range extreme value as the max value?

Note there appears to be some ambiguity in the question, depending on the sign of B the location of the maximum could be 3pi/2 rather than pi/2. I take it you've accounted for that?

h and b are not the same, and the final ineqality is correct. B=1/2sqrt((a-b)^2+4h^2), which we can take as positive, so the maximum must be at pi/2
Original post by 3672N
h and b are not the same, and the final ineqality is correct. B=1/2sqrt((a-b)^2+4h^2), which we can take as positive, so the maximum must be at pi/2

what does the final inequality represent?
Reply 16
Original post by mqb2766

I don't undestand what did you mean by the solution is fine as long as there exist one one alpha, cause there can't be a general solution for n as, the number of solutions for n changes as alpha increases or decreses by pi
Original post by 3672N
I don't undestand what did you mean by the solution is fine as long as there exist one one alpha, cause there can't be a general solution for n as, the number of solutions for n changes as alpha increases or decreses by pi

Thats how I was interpreting the problem last night. Seeing the full question, its obviously incorrect as alpha is fixed by the initial transformation.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by mqb2766
Thats how I was interpreting the problem last night. Seeing the full question, its obviously incorrect as alpha is fixed by the initial transformation.

Ahh sorry i should have post the original question earlier
Reply 19
Original post by mqb2766
what does the final inequality represent?

2pi-alpha<=x<=2pi+alpha

Quick Reply

Latest