bananasarelife
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
can somebody PLEASE help me on this 33 marker for geography.

Assess the view that natural shock are the biggest threat to global food security (33 marks)

Some ideas:
- tectonic hazards (natural)
- pandemic (human)
- conflict (human)

(i do OCR A-level and this is the 'future of food' topic)
archere
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by bananasarelife)
can somebody PLEASE help me on this 33 marker for geography.

Assess the view that natural shock are the biggest threat to global food security (33 marks)

Some ideas:
- tectonic hazards (natural)
- pandemic (human)
- conflict (human)

(i do OCR A-level and this is the 'future of food' topic)
Personally I would use the following structure to tackle this question....

Introduction
- Define 'natural' shock vs 'human' shock
- Establish what 4 'shocks' you are going to assess (2 natural, 2 human)
- Establish whether you are going to argue natural shocks or human shocks are the biggest threat - state your argument from the start!

Paragraph 1: Yes, natural shocks are the biggest threat to global food security
- Choose a natural phenomena which threatens global food security e.g. any tectonic hazard of earthquake, tsunami, volcano
- Introduce the hazard and explain its impacts on food security -> Why is it a threat?
- Bring in evidence of this hazard impacting global food security with a case study
- Link back to the question and conclude why this proves this 'natural shock' is the biggest threat to global food security

Paragraph 2: Yes, natural shocks are the biggest threat to global food security
- Choose an alternative natural phenomena which threats food security e.g. droughts, floods
- Use same structure as paragraph 1
- Remember to link back to the question and why this is the biggest threat

Paragraph 3: No, natural shocks are not the biggest threat to global food security
- Choose a human phenomena which threatens global food security e.g. conflict, political corruption
- Use same structure as paragraph 1 and 2
- Link back to the question '...therefore, this proves why natural shocks are not the biggest threat, in fact human shocks are because...'

Paragraph 4: No, natural shocks are not the biggest threat to global food security
- Choose another human phenomena which threatens global food security e.g. pandemic
- Use same structure as paragraph 1-3
- Link back to the question arguing why this human shock is the biggest threat (and why it is not natural shocks)

Conclusion
- Round up your essay
- Come to a clear judgement as to which shock is the biggest threat
- Explain why this shock is a bigger threat compared to the others
- Link back to the question either agreeing or disagreeing as to whether your chosen biggest shock is natural or human

Further advice...
- Remember to use key terms (examiners love these!)
- Use an in-depth case study or multiple case studies to provide evidence to your argument
- Examiners love a short-term vs. long-term judgement -> In the short-term natural shocks are bigger threats because of their magnitude, however we hold capacity to overcome these threats more easily. Therefore, in the long-term human shocks are bigger threats because (factor e.g. wars) are often prolonged and take a long time to overcome
bananasarelife
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by ellenarcher)

Introduction
- Establish whether you are going to argue natural shocks or human shocks are the biggest threat - state your argument from the start!

- Choose a natural phenomena which threatens global food security e.g. any tectonic hazard of earthquake, tsunami, volcano
- Introduce the hazard and explain its impacts on food security -> Why is it a threat?
- Bring in evidence of this hazard impacting global food security with a case study
- Link back to the question and conclude why this proves this 'natural shock' is the biggest threat to global food security

- Choose an alternative natural phenomena which threats food security e.g. droughts, floods

Paragraph 3: No, natural shocks are not the biggest threat to global food security
- Choose a human phenomena which threatens global food security e.g. conflict, political corruption
- Link back to the question '...therefore, this proves why natural shocks are not the biggest threat, in fact human shocks are because...'

Paragraph 4: No, natural shocks are not the biggest threat to global food security
- Choose another human phenomena which threatens global food security e.g. pandemic
- Link back to the question arguing why this human shock is the biggest threat (and why it is not natural shocks)

Conclusion
- Round up your essay
- Link back to the question either agreeing or disagreeing as to whether your chosen biggest shock is natural or human

Further advice...
- Use an in-depth case study or multiple case studies to provide evidence to your argument
- Examiners love a short-term vs. long-term judgement -> In the short-term natural shocks are bigger threats because of their magnitude, however we hold capacity to overcome these threats more easily. Therefore, in the long-term human shocks are bigger threats because (factor e.g. wars) are often prolonged and take a long time to overcome
you are a ****ing god send. i have never loved a stranger so much. this was so detailed omg tysm

(if you are doing mocks this year, im pretty sure this qu will come up)
bananasarelife
Rep:
?

Introduction

Conclusion
- Round up your essay

Further advice...
hey just wondering, you dont have to ofc!

but do you have any idea what i could write for this question?:
How impacts of seismic activity are severely worsened by the water cycle
archere
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
hey just wondering, you dont have to ofc!

but do you have any idea what i could write for this question?:
How impacts of seismic activity are severely worsened by the water cycle
My first question is how many marks is this question? And secondly, what topic does it come under? Is the topic about volcanic or earthquake hazards or just a general tectonic hazards topic?

Seismic volcanic activity would be worsened by the water cycle through....
- Lahar formation
- Flanks of volcanoes with steep slopes and lots of water present could produce landslides/mass movement of volcanic debris
- Water presence in the volcanic crater can produce a more explosive eruption style

Seismic activity could cause earthquakes. Earthquake impacts could be worsened by the water cycle because....
- liquefaction from shaking impacts of roads/pavements is more likely if the water table sits high
- natural drainage systems may be impacted through shaking
bananasarelife
Rep:
?
My first question is how many marks is this question? And secondly, what topic does it come under? Is the topic about volcanic or earthquake hazards or just a general tectonic hazards topic?

Seismic volcanic activity would be worsened by the water cycle through....
- Lahar formation
- Flanks of volcanoes with steep slopes and lots of water present could produce landslides/mass movement of volcanic debris
- Water presence in the volcanic crater can produce a more explosive eruption style

Seismic activity could cause earthquakes. Earthquake impacts could be worsened by the water cycle because....
- liquefaction from shaking impacts of roads/pavements is more likely if the water table sits high
- natural drainage systems may be impacted through shaking
You're so clever tysm. i didnt even think of that. those points are beautiful

it was 12 marks and it's a synoptic link, so it's to do with topics, 'Hazardous Earth' and the water cycle

I think i need to come up with one more point though, so could i talk about tsunamis generated by earthquakes too?
Ðeggs
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You're so clever tysm. i didnt even think of that. those points are beautiful

it was 12 marks and it's a synoptic link, so it's to do with topics, 'Hazardous Earth' and the water cycle

I think i need to come up with one more point though, so could i talk about tsunamis generated by earthquakes too?
Yes tsunamis that are generated from undersea earthquakes and vertical seafloor displacement etc such as the Japan Tohoku earthquake in 2011 is another good idea to talk about. Or you could talk about longer term sea level change (eustasy) and the formation of emergent landforms, especially through glacial isostatic adjustment and postglacial rebound where the melting of ice sheets and glaciers releases pressure from the landmass and causes land uplift and consequent local sea level fall.
Last edited by Ðeggs; 2 months ago
bananasarelife
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ðeggs)
Yes tsunamis that are generated from undersea earthquakes and vertical seafloor displacement etc such as the Japan Tohoku earthquake in 2011 is another good idea to talk about. Or you could talk about longer term sea level change (eustasy) and the formation of emergent landforms, especially through glacial isostatic adjustment and postglacial rebound where the melting of ice sheets and glaciers releases pressure from the landmass and causes land uplift and consequent local sea level fall.
Thank you! i did talk about the first point, but the second is a really good linkage one but unfortuantely, i've already given it in.

thank you sm though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (33)
5.62%
Uncertainty around my education (69)
11.75%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
12.78%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (33)
5.62%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (31)
5.28%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (63)
10.73%
Financial worries (38)
6.47%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (24)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
5.79%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.56%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (59)
10.05%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (47)
8.01%

Watched Threads