The Student Room Group

A-Level choices - what do you think?

Hi, I'm a year 11 student who would like to receive some feedback on his A-Levels choices.
My current choices are:
- History (no brainer for me)
- Geography (I'm interested in it plus it's a good A-Level for uni)
- Economics (I'm interested in it and I think it works well with history and geography)

I want to study perhaps History at a top university.
My grades will be, if my predictions based on my recent assessments are correct, something along the lines of:
English lit: 7 or 8
English lang: 7 or 8
Science (double): 5-4 or 5-5
Maths: 6
History: 9
Geography: 8 or 9
French: 9
Citizenship: 8 or 9
Religious studies: 8 or 9

What do you think? Are they too 'soft' for a top university? Should I change one of my options?
Thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
In my opinion, the ideal combination for history would be History, English literature and Politics but if you don't enjoy these subjects then you obviously don't have to take them ahaha! I think history and economics definitely go well together but geography is sort of out of place and honestly isn't that impressive to unis! BUT your enjoyment of your subjects is the number 1 priority! If you're unsure you can always take 4 a levels for a few weeks and then drop the one you like the least!
Reply 2
Original post by drs.vud.192
Hi, I'm a year 11 student who would like to receive some feedback on his A-Levels choices.
My current choices are:
- History (no brainer for me)
- Geography (I'm interested in it plus it's a good A-Level for uni)
- Economics (I'm interested in it and I think it works well with history and geography)

I want to study perhaps History at a top university.
My grades will be, if my predictions based on my recent assessments are correct, something along the lines of:
English lit: 7 or 8
English lang: 7 or 8
Science (double): 5-4 or 5-5
Maths: 6
History: 9
Geography: 8 or 9
French: 9
Citizenship: 8 or 9
Religious studies: 8 or 9

What do you think? Are they too 'soft' for a top university? Should I change one of my options?
Thanks in advance :smile:

I studied geography, history and biology at A Level and now study Geography at a Russel group uni!! Geography and History are very complementary in terms of developing your long-answer/essay writing skills. History and geography both require critical analysis and producing a clear judgment backed with lots of evidence e.g case studies (geog) and events/facts (history)....these subjects are a lot more related than people perceive them to be!! Even at degree level geography and history have considerable linkages. Lots of my friends did geography and economics and they worked really well together, especially aspects of human geography which linked to the economy. As long as you are interested in all of your subjects you are off to a good start! Starting A Levels with the right mindset towards your subjects is important and the fact you are interested in all of them is great!
Geography is possibly the best a level to take as you get to learn about them tectonics which unis like a lot. Economics is good DEPENDING ON THE TEACHER. History is very good due to the long essays you write. I dont think you will get into a top university as your not taking Rs or health and social care as they fit in well. a good uni is Ravensborne tho
(edited 2 years ago)
What career are you interested in? How does a History degree relate to the job you see yourself doing?

Geography pairs well with a modern language, you look to be good at French. It may also tie into History as I would imagine French History is a significant part of most History degrees.

I'm not sure I'd choose Economics. I'd personally stick to the 'traditional' subjects such as Maths rather than economics at A level. But maybe it depends on how you see it benefiting your progression.
Original post by Lluvia Morado
What career are you interested in? How does a History degree relate to the job you see yourself doing?

Geography pairs well with a modern language, you look to be good at French. It may also tie into History as I would imagine French History is a significant part of most History degrees.

I'm not sure I'd choose Economics. I'd personally stick to the 'traditional' subjects such as Maths rather than economics at A level. But maybe it depends on how you see it benefiting your progression.

Economics is a respected A level and there is absolutely no reason to believe that a subject such as maths would be preferred for a history degree. In fact economics may be of greater relevance than maths, as being on comfortable terms with economic jargon and concepts will help when covering economic aspects of history.
Ngl seeing a lot of misleading advice in this thread. Absolutely zero reason to believe geography is anything but a highly respected A level. It is rigorous and used to be a facilitating subject so is regarded as enabling. Also saw someone talking about how you can't get into a top uni with those options, tbh I'm not sure what they meant but this is obviously not the case. Your options fit well together and they will equip you with very strong skills in the future. Economics compliments geography very well, as it does history to an extent. Both history and geography used to be facilitating subjects if that reassures you, and are both rigorous. Absolutely no reason to believe economics is anything but respected as well, and people go off to top unis all the time with economics A level, and I believe it is quite a commonly chosen option for aspiring historians.
Original post by PandaPancake0
Economics is a respected A level and there is absolutely no reason to believe that a subject such as maths would be preferred for a history degree.

I was more thinking that it would be more beneficial if pursuing something relating to Geography.
I never said it was not a respected A level, only that I, personally, would choose a "traditional" subject. But as I said, it depends on what they see themselves doing. If their preferred degree course(s) don't mind which subjects the A levels are in, or they ask for A level economics, then go for it.

Oh and actually, if those were my GCSE grades, I'd probably take French at A level. 9 is amazing if they get that grade and would look impressive to get an A in French at A level.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Lluvia Morado
I was more thinking that it would be more beneficial if pursuing something relating to Geography.
I never said it was not a respected A level, only that I, personally, would choose a "traditional" subject. But as I said, it depends on what they see themselves doing. If their preferred degree course(s) don't mind which subjects the A levels are in, or they ask for A level economics, then go for it.

Oh and actually, if those were my GCSE grades, I'd probably take French at A level. 9 is amazing if they get that grade and would look impressive to get an A in French at A level.

Ah ok fair enough, sorry for misunderstanding.

Quick Reply

Latest