The Student Room Group

UCL A100 2022 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by qwert7890
Usually, UCL would accept people with achieved qualifications provided that this has been completed no longer than two years before year of entry.

As for the bias, I speculate that UCL would prefer achieved grades over predicted, and so having your grades already might be an advantage. This is because they say they use and look at A Levels in their selection procedure, which implies that they look at it beyond minimum requirements.

I do not have any information on whether this is true but I'm sure @GANFYD will know if that's the case :smile:

To my knowledge, UCL do not score A levels for shortlisting
Original post by GANFYD
To my knowledge, UCL do not score A levels for shortlisting

I don't think UCL scores anything either!! they're very subjective that way. My best guess is they get together in a room, read out each application, and then take shots at throwing it into a yes/no/maybe, and wherever it lands is the decision :lol:

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/medical-school/study/undergraduate/mbbs-admissions/selection-interviews/selection-procedure

However their selection process does say they 'look at' A Levels. Of course, they 'look at' everything in that sense but they haven't listed GCSEs (which they don't look at) so I'm inclined to believe they use A Levels in some way for selection. Perhaps an FOI could provide more clarity.
Reply 22
I don't think UCL scores anything either!! they're very subjective that way. My best guess is they get together in a room, read out each application, and then take shots at throwing it into a yes/no/maybe, and wherever it lands is the decision :lol:

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/medical-school/study/undergraduate/mbbs-admissions/selection-interviews/selection-procedure

However their selection process does say they 'look at' A Levels. Of course, they 'look at' everything in that sense but they haven't listed GCSEs (which they don't look at) so I'm inclined to believe they use A Levels in some way for selection. Perhaps an FOI could provide more clarity.

Any FOI I have seen suggests A levels are not scored as such (and they do score things, whatever they say - PS is scored 1-7, but I think 7 is low!!!).
This one does say GCSE and A level requirements are "thresholds that must be met (GCSE grade B in English and Maths, A-level grades AAA to include Chemistry and Biology) and are not given high weighting as long as they are met." Although it is very old, and they may have changed that
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/statistics_of_successful_gap_yea_2#incoming-571072
And I have seen posts from people who have had similar things said by email. However, never had anyone interested in a London med school, so never researched them that thoroughly!!

I also had an INCREDIBLY basic look at their A level stats, and a bigger percentage of applicants with A*AA (55.2%) or A*A*A (54.4%) got offers than those with A*A*A*A* (50%) or A*A*A*A (42.8%), though obviously, I do not know their other scores, nor that those predicted the grades were the same ones who actually got them, but it is a rough approximation and does not suggest significant bias towards those with higher A level scores.
Original post by GANFYD
Any FOI I have seen suggests A levels are not scored as such (and they do score things, whatever they say - PS is scored 1-7, but I think 7 is low!!!).
This one does say GCSE and A level requirements are "thresholds that must be met (GCSE grade B in English and Maths, A-level grades AAA to include Chemistry and Biology) and are not given high weighting as long as they are met." Although it is very old, and they may have changed that
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/statistics_of_successful_gap_yea_2#incoming-571072
And I have seen posts from people who have had similar things said by email. However, never had anyone interested in a London med school, so never researched them that thoroughly!!

I also had an INCREDIBLY basic look at their A level stats, and a bigger percentage of applicants with A*AA (55.2%) or A*A*A (54.4%) got offers than those with A*A*A*A* (50%) or A*A*A*A (42.8%), though obviously, I do not know their other scores, nor that those predicted the grades were the same ones who actually got them, but it is a rough approximation and does not suggest significant bias towards those with higher A level scores.

I see! Yes, I completely forgot - they do score Personal Statements (1 being the highest, 7 the lowest). That's interesting to know, thanks :smile:
Usually, UCL would accept people with achieved qualifications provided that this has been completed no longer than two years before year of entry.

As for the bias, I speculate that UCL would prefer achieved grades over predicted, and so having your grades already might be an advantage. This is because they say they use and look at A Levels in their selection procedure, which implies that they look at it beyond minimum requirements.

I do not have any information on whether this is true but I'm sure @GANFYD will know if that's the case :smile:

Thanks so much!
Original post by GANFYD

Would the stats be the same for international applicants? As I am not sure whether to reapply as an international PQA for UCL because I am unsure if they normally accept international gap years :frown:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by Tat1234tm
Would the stats be the same for international applicants? As I am not sure whether to reapply as an international PQA for UCL because I am unsure if they normally accept international gap years :frown:

They are not going to mind your gap year, but I have no idea how internationals are assessed, I’m afraid
do they accept more international students than home students ?
Reply 28
Original post by user3344555
do they accept more international students than home students ?

No. International places are capped for medicine at about 7% of all places
Reply 29
Hi all ,
As anyone who has taken the resit govt exam got an offer for 2021 entry . I am planning to take a gap year and reapply to UCL .. I might be taking the govt exam in nov as I am not sure I will be get the grades in one subject ? Will that affect my chances this year ?
Hi guys. this may be a bit of a random question, but i am not sure where else i can post this. Is it possible for me to be studying the first year of medicine at another university (let's call it University B) and apply to UCL A100 2022 entry at the same time (essentially like a normal undergraduate/gap-year applicant). Note that I am not asking for a transfer, rather a complete restart at UCL (basically repeating the first year at UCL as well). Forget about the money issues rn.

Thanks
Reply 31
Original post by A_disappointment
Hi guys. this may be a bit of a random question, but i am not sure where else i can post this. Is it possible for me to be studying the first year of medicine at another university (let's call it University B) and apply to UCL A100 2022 entry at the same time (essentially like a normal undergraduate/gap-year applicant). Note that I am not asking for a transfer, rather a complete restart at UCL (basically repeating the first year at UCL as well). Forget about the money issues rn.

Thanks

The best place to look for this sort of information is on UCL's website, where they say
"UK Graduates
We consider graduates or students in their final year of degree studies who have obtained, or are expected to obtain, at least an upper second-class Honours (2.1) UK degree. Degrees awarded by universities outside the UK are not acceptable. Students should note that we do not consider applications from candidates who have started but not finished their degree.
"
Original post by GANFYD
The best place to look for this sort of information is on UCL's website, where they say
"UK Graduates
We consider graduates or students in their final year of degree studies who have obtained, or are expected to obtain, at least an upper second-class Honours (2.1) UK degree. Degrees awarded by universities outside the UK are not acceptable. Students should note that we do not consider applications from candidates who have started but not finished their degree.
"

thank you so much,. do you know where exactly i can find this information for the rest of the universites that i mentioned. Thanks
Reply 33
thank you so much,. do you know where exactly i can find this information for the rest of the universites that i mentioned. Thanks

What other unis?
And as I say, websites are a good place to start
Original post by GANFYD
What other unis?
And as I say, websites are a good place to start

sorry i meant to ask what exactly did you type to find this info a particulr website/ thanks
Reply 35
sorry i meant to ask what exactly did you type to find this info a particulr website/ thanks

Just UCL Medicine 2022 entry requirements
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/medical-school/study/undergraduate/mbbs-admissions/entry-requirements/2022-entry

Get on the websites, click all the links and read all attachements. Many of them have it in there somewhere
Original post by GANFYD
Just UCL Medicine 2022 entry requirements
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/medical-school/study/undergraduate/mbbs-admissions/entry-requirements/2022-entry

Get on the websites, click all the links and read all attachements. Many of them have it in there somewhere

Hi. I read it and thanks for that. I researched a bit more, but i have kind of a complicated question. Suppose the studying year for University B starts from january 2022. Am i counted to have started the medicine course at University B when applying to UCL in September of 2021? or since i have not actually started the course, i am allowed to apply to UCL?
Reply 37
Hi. I read it and thanks for that. I researched a bit more, but i have kind of a complicated question. Suppose the studying year for University B starts from january 2022. Am i counted to have started the medicine course at University B when applying to UCL in September of 2021? or since i have not actually started the course, i am allowed to apply to UCL?

So presumably this is Buckingham?
I think you would be considered to have started if you had registered with the uni, and I don't know when this is, given they want money. But it is highly unlikely you would have an offer by the time Buckingham's course starts, so if you are going to re-apply this year, I would ask Buckingham if you can defer, as they do not accept re-applicants they have interviewed
haha looks like I’m the first here! Just wanted to hop on and say that I’ve received an offer for UCL this year, so if any of you have any queries about applying to UCL feel free to ask away :smile:

Nice to see you here.
Original post by Jpree34
Hi all ,
As anyone who has taken the resit govt exam got an offer for 2021 entry . I am planning to take a gap year and reapply to UCL .. I might be taking the govt exam in nov as I am not sure I will be get the grades in one subject ? Will that affect my chances this year ?

They have said on their website,
"If you received TAG in Summer 2021 you may sit the Autumn exam(s) as these will not be considered a re-sit. We will not consider applications from candidates who received TAGs in Summer 2021 and sit exams in Summer 2022."

This means if you don't get the grades you need by December 16 (Autumn Resit Results Day), they will not look at your application as you haven't met the entry requirements and they won't consider your application even if you meet it in the Summer Exam Series in 2022. So you may want to look at applying to other medical schools on the side just in case it doesn't work out.

Hopefully this helped.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending