The Student Room Group

what do guys like?

i cant get a guy can someone help

Scroll to see replies

Firstly - guys aren’t all the same and they like a wide range of things (besides some standard things like hygiene as above). There are definitely guys out there who will like and love you for you. Instead of trying to conform or alter yourself to what you think guys might like, it’s better to just try to be the best, truest, kindest, and most accomplished version of yourself that you can be.

Secondly, it’s probably best to aim to get to know people, and spend time with people whose company you enjoy, than to aim to ’’get a guy’’. People react best when it’s clear that you’re interested in them for them, rather than to just fill a generic role as a male romantic partner.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Firstly - guys aren’t all the same and they like a wide range of things (besides some things like hygiene as above). There are definitely guys out there who will like and love you for you. Instead of trying to conform or alter yourself to what you think guys might like, it’s better to just try to be the best, truest, kindest, and most accomplished version of yourself that you can be.

Secondly, it’s probably best to aim to get to know people, and spend time with people whose company you enjoy, than to aim to ’’get a guy’’. People react best when it’s clear that you’re interested in them for them, rather than to just fill a generic role as a male romantic partner.

thank you! i and kind and i am loyal and i... all the guys at my school like jerky girls
Original post by Anonymous
thank you! i and kind and i am loyal and i... all the guys at my school like jerky girls

What do you expect, beef jerky is delicious.
Reply 4
lmao. gosh i love that that made my day
I don't care if a woman is "hygienic" - in terms of what most people think of as hygienic. Natural is fine.
Don't care how much effort she puts into her looks. A natural beauty that puts in no effort at all is fine. Natural beauty comes in many different forms.
Don't care if she's particularly kind. A business like woman is fine too. I'm certainly not looking for charity nor a shoulder to cry on from anyone.
Don't care if she's caring. I'm not a baby. I can look after myself. And the women that come over as most caring initially may not be the most caring when you really get to know them and vice versa.
Loyalty is not something you can know about someone until they are put to the test. And I only expect someone to be as loyal to me as they want to be. Which puts a large onus on me to motivate them to be loyal.

All of which - for the original poster - should illustrate that it's horses for courses.
And that you shouldn't worry about what guys in general like.
You should play the hand you've been dealt. Which is you now. And you should aim to market yourself - in the broadest sense of the term - effectively to your target audience. It doesn't matter if 9 men hate your guts as long as the 10th loves you.
Reply 6
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
I don't care if a woman is "hygienic" - in terms of what most people think of as hygienic. Natural is fine.
Don't care how much effort she puts into her looks. A natural beauty that puts in no effort at all is fine. Natural beauty comes in many different forms.
Don't care if she's particularly kind. A business like woman is fine too. I'm certainly not looking for charity nor a shoulder to cry on from anyone.
Don't care if she's caring. I'm not a baby. I can look after myself. And the women that come over as most caring initially may not be the most caring when you really get to know them and vice versa.
Loyalty is not something you can know about someone until they are put to the test. And I only expect someone to be as loyal to me as they want to be. Which puts a large onus on me to motivate them to be loyal.

All of which - for the original poster - should illustrate that it's horses for courses.
And that you shouldn't worry about what guys in general like.
You should play the hand you've been dealt. Which is you now. And you should aim to market yourself - in the broadest sense of the term - effectively to your target audience. It doesn't matter if 9 men hate your guts as long as the 10th loves you.

omg i love it. it is so beautiful. it is good to know some guys dont care about like make only i dont like makeup i prefer my face to be clean.
omg i love it. it is so beautiful. it is good to know some guys dont care about like make only i dont like makeup i prefer my face to be clean.

Oh absolutely! I’m the exact same way - much prefer a person who looks natural to someone who’s made-up.
Reply 8
Oh absolutely! I’m the exact same way - much prefer a person who looks natural to someone who’s made-up.

ya
It's tricky. On the one hand you should never have to compromise to have a relationship. That's a fundamentally broken relationship. On the other hand, there's a lot of pressure to have a relationship, and while it's mostly stupid, there are some benefits. The main one being that you'll figure out what it means to be in a relationship and get more comfortable with the idea. That sort of thing will be very useful later in life. So in some ways it's ok to experiment. That being said you seem really chill and I don't think you should put on a face just to get some experience. It's not worth potentially losing sight of yourself. It's not fair, but not unfair either. It just is.
All guys can say what they want but primarily when looking for a girlfriend 95% go for the looks (do I find her attractive?) , and then other stuff like personality, etc.
It's sad but it's true.
I think the same goes for women when choosing a guy, but maybe less so, say 50% because a lot care about intelligence, confidence, and money (there's no denying the money aspect).
All guys can say what they want but primarily when looking for a girlfriend 95% go for the looks (do I find her attractive?) , and then other stuff like personality, etc.
It's sad but it's true.
I think the same goes for women when choosing a guy, but maybe less so, say 50% because a lot care about intelligence, confidence, and money (there's no denying the money aspect).

You raise an interesting point. The thing is that when you first see someone you make a snap judgement about them based on their looks. That's mostly because initially you have nothing else to go on. It's sort of like a first impression, where you can improve your standing with time but the first impression will still linger.
Original post by Jolhihilhil
It's tricky. On the one hand you should never have to compromise to have a relationship. That's a fundamentally broken relationship. On the other hand, there's a lot of pressure to have a relationship, and while it's mostly stupid, there are some benefits. The main one being that you'll figure out what it means to be in a relationship and get more comfortable with the idea. That sort of thing will be very useful later in life. So in some ways it's ok to experiment. That being said you seem really chill and I don't think you should put on a face just to get some experience. It's not worth potentially losing sight of yourself. It's not fair, but not unfair either. It just is.

im so sorry for the late response i thank you i feel vary at ease form your words :smile:
Original post by Jolhihilhil
You raise an interesting point. The thing is that when you first see someone you make a snap judgement about them based on their looks. That's mostly because initially you have nothing else to go on. It's sort of like a first impression, where you can improve your standing with time but the first impression will still linger.

ya i agree 100%
lmao. gosh i love that that made my day

Aww I didn’t even realise until now! Because it didn’t quote me I didn’t get notified... I’m so glad :h:
What would you guys do if this was a girl.
i made like the first thing i accidentally did anonymously
im 5'3 im
i have brown-red hair= strawberry brown
im white
blue - green eyes
natural pinker lips
natural long eye lashes

i love dc & marvel
i love to read
i love music
i enjoy hugs
Aww I didn’t even realise until now! Because it didn’t quote me I didn’t get notified... I’m so glad :h:

oh its fine im just every time i see it im crying hahaha

np
Make-up is just a mask hiding the beauty underneath.
Some girls want the 'bad boy' persona, knowing full well they will be hurt, but still in that world of 'but i can make him change'. No you can't. You can try like so many have before you, but a 'bad boy' will never change.
A 'good guy' is what you want, however many see them as needy and don't give the good guy any chance.
Some do, many don't.
Good girls tend to also sway to bad guys for that challenge / daring aspect on life.
Bad girls go for bad guys, naturally.
Yet the morale of this is to not ask any guy to change for you, or to fit into this 'society'. Be yourself, and you'll find someone worth your while.
Original post by Adz2042
Make-up is just a mask hiding the beauty underneath.
Some girls want the 'bad boy' persona, knowing full well they will be hurt, but still in that world of 'but i can make him change'. No you can't. You can try like so many have before you, but a 'bad boy' will never change.
A 'good guy' is what you want, however many see them as needy and don't give the good guy any chance.
Some do, many don't.
Good girls tend to also sway to bad guys for that challenge / daring aspect on life.
Bad girls go for bad guys, naturally.
Yet the morale of this is to not ask any guy to change for you, or to fit into this 'society'. Be yourself, and you'll find someone worth your while.

so true thanks i hate makeup it feels like im hiding my self

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending